If TF2 is delayed?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hollywood Hoist, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Transformers the Movie 2 is delayed, what will that mean for Hasbro? Will they stretch out Animated and add in a bunch of repaints (most likely a possibility anyway) Will they expand Classics 2.0?

I can't imagine Hasbro wanting to lose momentum with the Transformers line and if they were anticipating the sequel to be happening in 2009, than that may interupt many of the long term plans.

Please no complaining about the writers stike, there already a thread for that. This is to see theories about what is in store for the toy line as a result of a delayed sequel.

What are your thoughts?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm thinking that if it is delayed, that the'll just continue Animated, and possibly Universe. We know that we'll at least get 2 seasons of Animated, and that they are thinking about doing a 3rd and 4th seasons of it, so we'll have plenty to keep us busy till the sequel comes out. It'll also give them more time to design the toys for the sequel.

3. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    I didn't know Animated was planned for more than 2 seasons. Given A/E/C all lasted 1 season. As for more time on the sequel toys, if they don't have the script, then they can't really work on them. Even the characters coming back may change alt form.

But if Animated isn't successful, it'll be curious what they'll do. Collectors seem to be split on Animated, but who knows how the kids will react, especially after such a successful movie line.

I hope they expand Classics 2.0 but that's just wishful thinking. I wouldn't mind if Animated goes for a while as so far I've liked all the toy designs.

4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    What they need are the ILM designs, not the script. And designing more characters than called for in the script wouldn't be that bad of a thing - look at how many non-movie movie line characters were produced this time.

Exchange 'Animated' for 'movie' and this sounds really familiar. ;)  Honestly Animated is a safer bet than the movie was. If anything it might backfire in that young kids will be expecting the Animated heroes on the big screen next time around, instead of what they'll get.

Besides, IIRC the movie line was planned as a short line from the get go. Hasbro had stuff up their sleeve in case the movie line tanked, so don't worry about it. They'll likely treat the next movie the same, and have something else after Animated be the main line.

--Moony

5. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Bring on more Classics! Anything else is just gravy.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yeah. The designs is a part that wasn't affected by the strike. They could also work on making better toys for the surviving cast members. Like a bigger/better Starscream toy. They could even work on some more off-screen characters too.

7. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd like to see TF2 stuff live up to the "No more line-wide gimmicks" that Hasbro (was it Archer himself?) promised. Automorphing screwed up a lot of the TF1 designs.

I'd really hate to see TF2 Prime, Rachet, BB, Ironhide, Barricade, and Starscream just be reissues of the first ones. That would suck.

As for Animated being stretched out... I hope they do. More time to save money for TF2 stuff (TF1 has essentially bankrupted my toy budget until like Easter... I wasn't expecting to buy anywhere near as much as I did)

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm sure they'd just repaint a bunch of Animated figs/ expand Universe.

9. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I personally hope they expand on the Classics 2.0 line if the next movie is delayed. The Animated toys look okay, but for me it's all about the Classics!

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say it's possible for Animated to be expanded upon. We already have the first seasons line up and we know that the second season was already well underway (as far as the scripts and voice acting) as of last Botcon given a few sources.

BTW, A/E/C was considered a Trilogy by Hasbro so it's one series containing three seasons. So it's not to much of a streatch to consider them having already done two seasons of Animated and planning to go further with it. If the writers strike pushes the second movie back than it's totally possible we just might see this faster... assuming of course that the writers for Animated aren't affected by this strike as well... which I remember reading somewhere that they might very well be.

There's also Classics 2.0/Universe (which is slated to be an ongoing side line much the same way that Alternators was before and the previous version of Universe) so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of figures already in the works for this line besides what meager offerings we've seen at Botcon. Also, keep in mind that it was mentioned that the first wave of Classics 2.0/Universe was stated to be 'repaint heavy' most people are assuming that this means either repaints from the first Classics line or repaints of the new molds within the same wave, however, it's very possible that this could also include repaints from other lines as well. It's my understanding that the reason they chose the name Universe instead of continuing with Classics is so that they could do updates of things outside of G1 as well within the line. So, it'd be an easy place for them to send any and all repaints outside the mainline.

Also, we already know about the Premium figures coming out from the first movie and given the movies success it wouldn't be beyond reason to assume that they might just expand the movie line on the side as well.

I'm sure they've got lots of stuff up their sleeves given all the possabilities brought on by this writers strike so I wouldn't be surprised one way or another. Let's not forget that they're not releasing Animated until July as is (the toys anyways) so we'll probably only be seeing the expanded movie universe until than and possibly Classics 2.0/Universe on the shelves depending on when that gets released. Which says to me that they've already planned for the movie being pushed back.

11. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    If the writers stike is going to delay the movie, than it's possible it'll delay any future seasons of Animated. I can imagine that writing a future film script will be about as time intensive as writing a full season of an animated show.

As for the Universe line name, given that stores seemed to stop carrying the previous universe figures, I'm hoping that they won't shy away from these, like they did with Titanium and Alternators after they proved to not be profitable.

12. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, but as mentioned, they already have the first two seasons essentially done. Unless this writers' strike lasts a really, REALLY long time, I can't see it affecting Animated. Assuming the writers' strike is over within a reasonable time, it wouldn't be too hard to play catch-up a little, seeing as how they've written two seasons without the first episode even airing yet.

13. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Honestly I hope if they do repaints for Universe that they are from Classics. I loved the level of detail and articulation for these accurate toys and hope Universe doesn't lose this since it is what got me back into Transformers in the first place.

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No offence, but I totally don't understand what people are talking about when they say this. The level of detail and articulation from Classics is the same as we got in Cybertron and in Energon and in RID and mostly in Beast Wars/Beast Machines... not so much in Armada (but most agree that the line was some sort of sick throwback anyways). The only thing I can think of is that people get attached to the fact that Classics had no gimmick to worry about and that it was updates of old unarticulated figures instead of being detailed and articulated new characters.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by accurate toys. Accurate to what? Most of these have been changed from their initial designs for the most part. Mirage, Grimlock and Megatron being the strongest offenders of having very little to do with their original toy and design... and I would go so far as to say that they wouldn't be as widely excepted if they had been released under another line. Prime, Astrotrain and Jetfire are somewhere in the middle of this with Rodimus, Bumblebee/Cliffjumper and the Seekers being pretty close to their original counterparts.