If TF The Movie bombs...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ruination04, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    What will it mean to Transformers as a brand? Will it destroy the TF franchise? Will they carry on? What effect could this have if the movie stinks?

I hope the movie does well and TFs become bigger than ever, but what if? (Boy I am full of what-if's tonight!)

2. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    The franchise will be fine! The movie will do great!

3. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

This has been a long time in the making, it will succeed and hopefully they will keep it going for a long, long time..

4. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    If (and this is a SLIM chance, but a chance nonetheless) it fails, we'll see Hasbro reign in the line back to a mainline with a cheaply made anime cartoon.

Basically back to where we were at the STart of Armada at worst

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Simple, they won't make any new Live action Transformers movies. Old fans will still be old fans, people who didn't care still won't care and heck, might even be some 'new' old fans coming out of the woodworks. With classics, MPs and all sorts of other things in the works to go along with the movie, Hasbro got it's ass covered. If the movie was the *only* TF product being focused on, then it might have been a problem, but right now it's just a stand alone, alternate storyline.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Likely we'll backpeddle to an RiD/Universe repaint line, at the absolute worst.

I kinda doubt it'll destroy the franchise if it bombs. I also kinda doubt it'll harshly bomb, but yeh.

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I don't accept the premise of the question.

The movie will not tank and will be a huge success.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    eh, we survived BM -.-"

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The great philosophers of the Wu-Tang taught us that cash rules everything around (Hasbro). If the movie tanks, there won't be another movie, and the movie toyline will probably be brief. As far as Classics/Alts/Titanium/etc., as long as they're making money for Hasbro and look like they'll continue to do so, they'll be around.

I wonder about the cartoon, honestly, since there's been such a shift away from cartoons existing just to support a toyline. I mean, I'm not saying there aren't any that do that, just that it's more often symbiotic nowadays. I'd guess we'll see another Japanese import cartoon dubbed over and maybe forced into the UT-verse. An American produced cartoon would be great, and I think it would be more likely to be of a higher quality, but that costs money, which leads us back to the Wu-Tang.

And finally, I seriously doubt the movie will bomb. It's perfect summer-popcorn material, it's got nostalgia, it's got ILM, and most importantly, it will have millions and millions poured into advertising and market research to support it. I suspect marketing movies at this level is closer to a science than an art in its precision. The worst that could happen is that it would perform like Superman--make a lot of money, but just not enough considering its budget (which is what--150 million?) to justify a sequel. I'm not worried about critical success--what do I care if OP gets an Oscar nod?

10. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Did the 86 movie do that well? (not being sarcastic.) I guess we can use that as a comparison.

11. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

The 86 movie did do well. I remember when it came out, it was a huge hit. Made the Transformers line itsself even better..

12. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no, no it did not. its been documented it fared poorly at the box office and was in fact the reason gi joe went straight to video, but then again, the 80s was a bad time for animated features.

13. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

Like KA said, it was NOT a hit. It only raked in around $5,849,647 USD in the box office, and the critics panned it heavily. Though it may have been a huge hit with the kids, it was considered a major box office flop.

Also, the movie brought about the change to the new style of Hasbro-designed toys with futuristic, gimmicky alt-modes (not to mention the less-than-perfect 3rd season) that some people considered to be the beginning of the end for G1...

Of course, I'm no expert on TF history, I'm just going by what I hear.

14. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

The franchise will do okay ,if the movie stinks then Hollywood won't make a sequel and will leave the franchise alone.

15. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the new movie will be as much of a relative success as the original. By that I mean the box office return vs. production cost will be about proportionate to the return vs. cost on the original.

16. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Personally, I don't think the movie will bomb. I don't know if it will do as well as they expect- especially if there is a March of the Penguines sequel, but I doubt it will bomb.

Even if it does, TF's will continue. If they continue the movies (there are 3 planned), then expect some heavy re-tooling (needed, if this fandom is any indication).

WAL

17. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

If the movie bombs, it will not kill the TF line. Why ?
    Because we, the fans, are keeping this line alive for more then 20 years now.

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I am fully expecting hollywood critics to tear the movie apart. The theater release will not generate a profit alone.

They will probably need the revenue from the dvd and toy sales to produce any sort of overall profit.

If they pull even or make a profit, there will be a sequel. If not, Then Hasbro may have to make some budget cuts. Halt marginal toy lines, let go of some people. Transformers in general would still be alive though.

Just my guess, I could be completely wrong. Personally I hope it is the next Spiderman.

19. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    And why do you say that? BM was good, sure it was a little strange at the beginning but the result was good. A little different from the usual Tf show but a good show afterall. The toys were terrible. ^^
    As for the movie: well if it sucks, it sucks. I don't think the franchise will die or anything like that.

20. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Even if the film isn't super successful, the Merchandise will likely be and that will keep Hasbro in the good. Just like Bm, the toys sold well enough even if not everyone would watch the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.