If Optimus had not returned,

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Nov 10, 2010.

?

What would happen with the Headmasters?

1. Rodimus would still wield Firebolt.

16.1%
  2. Firebolt would be cut out of the show and only 5 Targetmaster Autobots would be featured

5.4%
  3. Rodimus would lose the Matrix, gain Firebolt as Hot Rod, and somehow would return to Rodimus Prime.

1.8%
  4. Rodimus lose the Matrix, remain with Firebolt as Hot Rod, and the matrix story would go elsewheres.

1.8%
  5. The matrix would go to Cerebros who would realize his importance to become Fortress Maximus.

7.1%
  6. The matrix would go to Spike who would realize his importance to become and create Fortress Maximus.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The matrix would go to Arcee because she was not a toy.

5.4%
  8. The matrix would go to Daniel.

1.8%
  9. Some other non-toy Autobot would acquire the Matrix.

1.8%
  10. When Hot Rod became Rodimus Prime, Firebolt would become a spy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Headmaster "Rebirth" story would never be written and Sunbow would have ended prematurely.

10.7%
  12. A totally different storyline would be required to be written.

32.1%
  13. (Other - I'll write the book- if Optimus Prime never returned, the Headmaster story would be...)

16.1%
  1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Was it just fate that "The Return of Optimus Prime" lead to Rodimus' downsize back to Hot Rod for the Rebirth story?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I'd prefer it if Rebirth never was written at all, if Prime never came back or not.

3. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It focused on introducing the gimmick rather than any real focus on storytelling, and really suffered from shoehorning as many of the new characters into the episodes as possible. Basically, it felt like a really drawn out commercial rather than a mini-series.

5. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    If Optimus never returned, the G1 cartoon would have pretty much ended right then-and-there storywise due to the hate plague causing everybody to tear each other apart. The Headmasters, Hot Rod becoming a Targetmaster, and Fortress Maximus never coming around would have been the least of it. So, I choose "a totally different storyline would have to be written" to get the Headmasters in the series.

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    we would need a whole new script and story. but i want a transformers series when we don't start with optimus prime. we start with rodimus prime and as the story goes on we find out more about optimus and how he died.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, same here. Optimus may be my fave TF but if he had stayed dead, the TF mythos could have been better. I mean how many cartoons at that time had the hero actually dying? I've rather Optimus not die in the first place but was knocked out, allowing Rodimus to co-exist with him and fulfill his function as "protector" (as stated in his tech specs,if I remembered correctly), and Matrix owner (Optimus and the others before him were simply holders).

I disagree, the "hate plague" was a plot device to bring back Optimus and if it was introduced, the Autobots would have found a way to counter it. Using the Matrix was "cheapen" it and the animated movie IMO. Example, Hot Rod was the "chosen one", Unicron was the biggest threat the TF universe face etc.

The "Masters" could have made their appearance in some shape or form - instead of the "Rebirth" storyline, which felt so rushed.

8. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I like rebirth...it has scorpenok..

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Japan showed exactly what would happen if Otimus Prime didn't return with Headmasters, Rodimus would run off leaving other Autobots to act as leader. It worked for awhile, but eventually Takara realized the mistake and by the time they featured the return of Star Convoy, G1 was really over.

10. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers &amp;amp;amp; Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally, I would have loved it if Optimus returned as Powermaster form... not sure how that could have been done though.

11. superpunch

superpunch Banned

this... as i didnt watch the episode on tv, i bough the vhs and on the cover was an amazing pic of powermaster prime was a lil gutted when they brought back normal prime instead of powermaster prime.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the Matrix would get destroyed or stolen and he would go back to being Hot Rod, just to sell the toys

13. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

the problem with rebirth is that it was too short. the mini was supposed to be 5 episodes instead of just 3.

although I prefer the japanese take where the headmasters were all robots that operated vehicles, I don't think it would have worked for a 3 or 5 part miniseries to wrap up the American show. it would've seemed even more random than rebirth as it stands.

still, while i think there were way better episodes than rebirth, there also way worse episodes. while it was rushed, it did feel like a coherent story, which is more than I can say for starscream's ghost.

14. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers &amp;amp;amp; Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What happened?
    Could any more significant story be told in two more 22 minute episodes?

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Maybe not, but more running time would've made it feel less like a relentless introduction of new characters. All those new TF (including the new guys during the attack at the beginning) and then each one destined to be a 'Master having a Nebulan that had to be introduced too. That's one hell of a writing task to squeeze into just a few episodes while still telling some kind of story.
    I was expecting Powermaster Prime to appear too because of:
    It was a total missed opportunity as they had an injured human that had just been upgraded with TF tech (Jessica Morgan) and there was even a reference by Wreck-Gar to Optimus' engine being unable to take the strain. Sure it wouldn't have been Prime partnering with HiQ (unless they also made Morgan really smart and that was her nickname) but making Jessica Optimus' Powermaster engine to help revive him just seemed a total no-brainer to me when there was the PM toy kicking around the shops). And then the human/TF integration technology could've been what inspires Brainstorm with his idea of more a active partnership between human and TF

16. superpunch

superpunch Banned

agreed i thought that was theywere going to do with sari in animated,

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Before getting into Rebirth, I think without Optimus' return, people would think of Rodimus more favorably because he would have had to have dealt with the Hate Plague himself. He would have had that chance to show why the Matrix had chosen him to begin with, rather than being a mere place-holder while Optimus took a nap.

Bad story-telling of Jeph Loeb proportions, if you ask me.

18. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

There's an alternate universe where Hasbro didn't bring Prime back, and I don't want to live in it.

19. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Which is somewhat apt (?) since the starting titles were composed entirely from advert animation.

IIRC, David Wise said he originally wrote it as a five part, or intended to, but it was paired down to three.

It was pretty darn obvious they were cutting corners. BB and Goldbug in the same shot? WTF?

20. superpunch

superpunch Banned

rodimus wuld of shat himself and thrown the matrix at ultra magnus and cry like a lil brat "optimus im never the leader you was, i wanna be hot rod"