If not freaks, then what? A discussion regarding Transfandom

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Apr 9, 2006.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Fandom: "Oh, you like Transformers? Cool." A fan is met. Quite simple, IMO. Fanboy, on the other hand, is some annoying ass that just makes all fans of the same product look bad. From personal experience, see Hotwheels collectors. I've been to MANY stores that will have nothing to do with adult collectors because of these people. (Yes, for the record, I used to be one, and am still a casual one)

Judgement: I don't try to judge anyone. If you all will look, I was the one that actually tried to help "thenewguy" just in case it wasn't a joke. As many have stated, we were all the new guy at some point. The only people that I try to avoid are the "leeches" as I call them. These are the people that will see you in a store looking at said toys, and leech onto you as if because they are a "fan" too. They won't leave you alone, and you have to nearly beat them off with a stick to get away. I know we've all met them. For this reason alone, I seldomly speak to other adults in the toy aisle. Also, as for the "eye rollers", I am one in certain circumstances. I can understand if someone is uneducated. I'll be nice to them, and help them if I can and they want it. I can't stand, however, these people that "I know EVERYTHING, and you're an idiot" when they actually can't even find their ass with both hands. I don't need to explain these people either, you all have met them. I guess all I'm saying is, give the new people a chance, then decide if you'll like them.

Also, while on the note of judgement, it's not just other fans making judgements. Example: What's the first thing that goes through your mind when you see a young person driving a fixed up car with 20" or larger wheels? I know, I get that judgement daily. I love driving past on officer, and having them eye me like I'm doing something wrong because I drive a fixed up car. I must just like negative attention.

Devotion: You can have one fig, or a thousand, it's all up to you. Just don't be the guy on Oprah, or which ever talk show it was. Get your priorities strait. There have been times that I've spent a small fortune on toys. There have been months that I've spent nothing on toys. I've also got other hobbies, so that doesn't help.

Well, this is just my $.02, take it leave it for the next geeky weirdo. :p 

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. FANDOM:
    Whether you faintly remember enjoying TFs as a child or you can recite the release date of every toy since 1984, you should have the same opportunity to enjoy the online resources and community of the fan base, and to be received with courtesy, respect and camaraderie. Unfortunately, this is very different than the reality of how fandoms typically operate.

I joined the online fan base smack in the middle of all the "board wars" four or five years ago; and although I didn't DARE post anywhere, the recurring thought I had when reading people's comments during that time was <i>imagine what such passionate people could accomplish for the hobby if they could simply get over themselves and check their egos at the door!</i>

2. JUDGMENT:
    You are better than no one because of who you know, how many TFs you have, whether you open them or not, or any other supposed measurement of some imaginary hierarchy of greatness in TF fandom; and it is unfortunate that potential contributors may be driven away due to the manner in which they are received. For any individual to feel a swelling of pride because they have a greater faux position than someone else - and then to strike out at people on that basis - is disappointing. What satisfaction does it bring to alienate someone when helping them is your greatest opportunity to share the knowledge you possess? Why is it preferable to cause someone to think you're an arrogant jerk instead of having them see you with respect and friendship?

For me, the most challenging thing about this fandom is some people's unwillingness to tolerate those who view or do things differently than what they think is best. Sometimes I can't help but wonder how people maintain good relationships with co-workers or family when I see how they treat other people they don't even know. It is frustrating to me when people get berated if they can't provide a receipt picture for a new release, or when people get bent out of shape if they're not properly credited with news or a sighting. It all just seems so trivial in comparison to treating your peers (who share your passion for TFs) with respect and dignity.

In regard to writing... if yours is filled with spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors, I may not read it. It's certainly not personal, and good spellers aren't "better fans" than bad spellers, but if an individual is going to take the time to place their thoughts in written form and share them with thousands of people, I believe they should have the courtesy to make an effort to do so articulately. On the other hand, it's also worth noting that when you present coherent, well-organized thoughts in non-combative fashion on a message board, you will usually be ignored - so for some, there's not a lot of incentive to do so.

3. DEVOTION:
    The only thing that is "too much" in this hobby is if TFs are interfering with your life and relationships. I do have to single someone out here, but in a positive light - if you want to see a collector that's got their priorities in order, take a look at what Elvin Pena just did. Probably one of the most special and unique collections out there, but to him it pales in comparison to the needs of his family. I've never met Elvin, but my respect for him just went right through the roof.

I have been a little disappointed in some of the responses I've seen related to the Hartman's recent auctions for the unreleased G2 combiner limbs. Rather than congratulatory responses to the buyers/sellers, and celebration of a special piece of TF history, we're seeing negativity and judgement. Why does it infuriate some when other fans have more intense devotion to something, or greater willingness to spend money?

When you see the way intolerance manifests itself over something as insignificant as the toys we collect, it should be no surprise that we cannot understand one another when talking about some of the large-scale challenges that impact our society.

3. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

FANDOM:

Well, I believe a fan is a person that enjoys something so much that they have a desire to learn more about it thru various means, usually in groups of other like-minded people, in an effort to enjoy it further.

JUDGEMENT:

I only judge harshly those people that condemn others for having an opposing opinion to the "established norm", even when the opposition is making their point in a clear and concise manner and when people are blindly loyal to certain aspects of Transformers i.e
    • "At least we still HAVE a Botcon" people
    • "TAKARA SUX!!! HASBRO ROXXORS" (and vice versa) people
    • "THE MOVIE IS GONNA SUCK WITHOUT CULLEN" people
    • The people that bash various season of TF just because it isnt the particular season of TF they like

Now granted, there are a few exceptions here with people that actually think this way but have particularly good reasoning on why they do.

DEVOTION:

I'll reiterate...I dont mind people that are devoted to one particular type of TFs....or have hangups about certain aspects of TFs, so long as they dont start to believe that THEIR version of "How the TFs should be" is the ONLY way it should be, everyone else is wrong, and they begin to denigrate, condemn and demean others with opposing opinions.

As far as collecting goes, everyone should collect as their means will allow. I think if you're skipping house payments, starving your kids, and things like that then you need to take a step back! :D 

4. dgblast5

dgblast5 Well-Known Member

1. FANDOM: What do you define as a Transformers fan? What level of knowledge about Transformers does a person have to have in order to be considered part of the Transformers fandom? What level of knowledge does a person have to have on the TFW boards to be considered a member of the TFW fandom?

I guess one would define a fan as simply one who really likes the shows and toys. There shouldn't be standards that one should have to meet up to in order to become a fan or "TFW fandom". If you like the toys and you like what you see, then that's it, a social hierachy is really unneccessary and is just another way to try to boost one's ego when it comes to transformers.

2. JUDGMENT:When a new fan comes to the boards - consider Nevermore's "THENEWGUY" persona - how do you accept them? Do you judge them based solely on their writing ability, their knowledge of Transformers or their access to new and unreleased Transformers content...or a combination of the three? Do you judge them at all or do you simply accept them as a member of the fandom?

I am one that really judges one on their presentation/writing abilities. Since this is the internet, one has absolutely no way to base one's first impressions on, so one's writing style and grammar and presentation is the only way to really judge anyone online. But it is always important to keep in mind that we are not ourselves online, since we practically can say anything we wish to, without the limitations that one would expect from social situations. If a member knows much, sure he would be respected more than one who doesn't know anything. I frankly don't judge anyone. Everyone is the same to me and I am just here for the news and occasionally to view some cool stuff.

3. DEVOTION:p lease, please be respectful and intelligent when responding to this one. How much is too much - both in regards to dollar value and the collecting/hoarding mentality? What do you define as being simply over-the-top regarding the fandom? (Please don't single anyone out, either.)

Honestly speaking, I am indifferent to one's devotion to this hobby. Some might take it to the extreme and have __+ collection, but I could care less. To each his own. My collecting mentality is moderation and sentimentality. I don't only collect transformers.

5. Brinamus P

Brinamus P Rock it autobot style!

:peoples:  Do you think movies are made by sport stars?? Nay Nay I say!! Computer buffs,wild minded people and nerds make the entertanment world!! :rock 

6. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I'm mainly a nostaliga collector and I only buy what I really like (and afford) . Some thnk it's odd that I'm a 30 something toy collector but it's what I enjoy and I'm not hurting anyone. Besides I stopped caring about what people thought a long time ago.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Fandom- It's a big world in the fandom, so it pretty much includes every possibility for what a Transfan can be. From ' UltraMega Dork of Fury' to 'Boba Fett'. We're all in here.
    Either way we're definitely an intelligent species to remember all these damn names
    Does'nt matter though because anyone can get laid these days.
    Don't think there's any real reason that determines if a person is fan, as long as they like a TF or 2 that's fine. *coughPrime*cough
    Now to be a member of a fandom requires some manners and perhaps an open mind for communication. Only how that person manages their behavior & personality can display how much of a fan they are.
    Some aren't even fans but just have friends & responsibilities here, but that shows they have respect & loyalty to the fandom.
    Fans are cool because they're pretty honest with themselves, most of us don't wear the masks that they do.

Judgement- I try not to, it's hard to see expressions or to know ones nature of humor so I cant really judge anyone. I don't even like to judge the ones I know.
    Things never turn out what I expect so I just never expect them to be.
    It's all in good fun and glad to be among the finest of turds.
    I don't judge members by their post counts. We all had problems navigating around at first (well most of us) and they're not accustomed to our nature yet so that does'nt make anything less of them. Just a smaller epenis

Devotion- Im pretty confident I'll be into it forever. It's combined with to many links with too many memories , and reminds me of the days of my purest roots.Would'nt want to forget them. A glance at a G1 fig is like a weeks worth of diary pages. Plus I love cool ass fukcing robots and machines and statues and art and toys.
    The TF's just smoke em all . (Sorry BRAVE, but you're outnumbered.)

8. Throwback

Throwback Well-Known Member

I must admit that I am guilty of being judgemental when it comes to 'Transfandom'. I see those who favor the Beast Wars, Alternators, and other non-G1 series over the original as imposters. Don't get me wrong, those other series have a place in 'Transfandom', but that place is a very small one. I guess you could say I'm old-school because my opinions, but in my estimation if a person's affinity for our beloved transformers does not spring from G1, something is lacking. I am 27 years old so I literally grew up with the original transformer series and magazine, and I feel that the younger fans (who weren't even born when the movie was released) often miss the boat entirely on transformers. I guess my perception is that the series following the original had the same agenda as G1 season 4, Headmasters, and that was to sell toys. I'm a purist who believes in the storyline. It is the continuity of this storyline that has made the transformers more than meets the eye.

p.s I hate when organics play too pivital a role in the storylines. Boo Optimus Primal, war Megatron (G1), war Alpha-Trion, war Starscream, and hell I can even find a place for Jhiaxus.
    Transformers forever,
    6'5", 255

9. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I have a better question. whats worse. people minding there own business, enjoying somthing that isnt illegal, and doesnt hurt anyone. or the people who worry about the collecters. I will let you decide.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    1. FANDOM: What do you define as a Transformers fan?
    I define a Transformers fan as someone who likes Transformers. That simple.
    What level of knowledge about Transformers does a person have to have in order to be considered part of the Transformers fandom?
    None. And I loathe the mentality that tends to spring up that says that unless you know all sorts of factoids about Tfs you're not a part of the fandom. Anyone who starts a sentence with the words "you're not a true TF fan" needs a swift kicking.
    What level of knowledge does a person have to have on the TFW boards to be considered a member of the TFW fandom?
    None. If you are a member of the boards, you're a member of the boards.

2. JUDGMENT:When a new fan comes to the boards - consider Nevermore's "THENEWGUY" persona - how do you accept them? Do you judge them based solely on their writing ability, their knowledge of Transformers or their access to new and unreleased Transformers content...or a combination of the three? Do you judge them at all or do you simply accept them as a member of the fandom?
    THENEWGUY was obviously an April Fool's joke (and a rather unfunny and twatty one, I might add).
    What people forget is that despite Hasbro's best efforts, Transformers ARE available across the planet. And not everyone speaks English as a first language. To take the piss out of someone just because they don't write as well as you is preposterous and itrritating. People don't NEED to know exclusive new tidbits of info to be here.
    As for accepting people, I have no problems with posters unless they have a problem with me. Of course, there will always be theoccasional twat who'll meander over from another board, or an IRC group, or something like that, and try causing trouble. And you know what? I'm proud of every single one of them I banned when I was staff here. Morons who deliberately set out to screw things up for others deserve no better.

3. DEVOTION:Please, please be respectful and intelligent when responding to this one. How much is too much - both in regards to dollar value and the collecting/hoarding mentality?
    Do it however you want. Some people collect rare pieces simply for their value. More power to 'em. The same to the fan who collects only a particular character, or a particular generation, or a particular faction. Likewise, the person who keeps his toys MISB because he thinks they look better displayed like that is not wrong, nor is the person who opens every single figure they buy (I fall into this catagory). It's a matter of personal choice. That simple.
    What do you define as being simply over-the-top regarding the fandom? (Please don't single anyone out, either.)
    There's a limit. When I see the terms "Geewunner" or "Trukk not Munky", or any of that ridiculous claptrap I see red. There is no point in it. I refer you back to my comment earlier in this post about all that "not a true fan" crap. TO imply that soeone is somehow inferior to you, simply because they prefer a different generation to you, is nothing short of arrogant bull.
    Stop being rude, and get on with your hobby.