If not freaks, then what? A discussion regarding Transfandom

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    After reading through the variety of responses in the "Are we freaks" thread, a year of hanging out on the boards - and prompted by the film "Trekkies" - I found myself thinking about the responses to claims that we, Transformers fans, are "dorks," "freaks," etc...AND considering the response claims that "It's okay to like this stuff, as long as..." with the end of that sentence varying from person to person.

In general, it seems like the Transformers fandom - which, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like we've kinda settled on the shortened "transfandom" as our moniker - regards our interest and our enthusiasm from two different viewpoints:

A. Yes, we are dorky, but what does it matter? We're not hurting anyone. I don't care about labels and I like this series because I grew up with it. I like it when other people identify with the series and enjoy reminiscing about it.

B. Well, we may be dorky, but we're not as dorky as (insert another genre here.) Have you seen how THEY worry about trivial things? Man, I'm so glad we don't handle things that way. Because Transformers is currently entering a retro stage, I can consider myself comparatively "cooler" than most subcultures.

Now, these viewpoints are generalized observations, based on opinions I've seen people post on the boards. Although they may seem inflammatory, consider them seriously before posting back a full-bore response about how I know nothing.

Another thing to consider is some mirror-to-the-fandom questions which I've been thinking about since joining these boards. These questions can also easily lead to flaming, so please, PLEASE, use some discretion and tact before you respond.

Tell me...

1. FANDOM: What do you define as a Transformers fan? What level of knowledge about Transformers does a person have to have in order to be considered part of the Transformers fandom? What level of knowledge does a person have to have on the TFW boards to be considered a member of the TFW fandom?

2. JUDGMENT:When a new fan comes to the boards - consider Nevermore's "THENEWGUY" persona - how do you accept them? Do you judge them based solely on their writing ability, their knowledge of Transformers or their access to new and unreleased Transformers content...or a combination of the three? Do you judge them at all or do you simply accept them as a member of the fandom?

3. DEVOTION:Please, please be respectful and intelligent when responding to this one. How much is too much - both in regards to dollar value and the collecting/hoarding mentality? What do you define as being simply over-the-top regarding the fandom? (Please don't single anyone out, either.)

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'll give you my thoughts.

1. FANDOM: I've always tried to keep my appreciation of Transformers - and those who like Transformers - on as low a level as possible. In my opinion, just about anybody could show up on these boards - kids, parents, collectors, retro teens who just remembered their childhood - so I consider any basic recollection of the Transformers (and enjoyment of it) to be some level of fandom. For example, I consider Tom Hanks to be a lighthearted Transformers fan just because he can half-hum, half-sing the song. I don't think he needs to know more than that to like Transformers.

2. JUDGMENT: I am guilty of jumping to conclusions and being quick to judge. It's not right, and I admit it readily. I do what I can to bite my tongue and accept people openly - particularly on the boards, where, admittedly, sometimes some very interesting and odd threads explode into argument over trivial differences in language, posting, the board rules, wording and/or opinions. Is it wrong? Yes, in my opinion. But that's me.

3. DEVOTION: It's hard for me to imagine covering one's walls with blister packs. I think the entertainment behind that is akin to the feeling of walking into a toy store and seeing the world of toy possibilities available to you, but, for me, that's something that makes me wince when it comes to fandom collections in general, be they Star Trek, Transformers, Barbies or anything. I've made a commitment to separating my judgment of a person from the way they display their collection - who you are is not defined by what you have, in my opinion - but this is just a personal "I'm sorry, I can't" limit for me.

3. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In my view.

Fandom: Anyone who likes the medium, be it TV, comic, or toys. If you like transformers in one way or another you are a fan, regardless of what you like and why. Just because I know more that you or you know more than me about the history of our little hobby dose not make one person bette than another.

Judgement: I am as guilty of judging others as anyone. Given that "the new guy" was an obvious prank. Poor english/american (there is a difference) does bias me. If english isn't your first language (on an english message board) your first statement should be as such. After that I'm sure that many of us (myself included) would be understanding and correct gramatical errors. That is how we learn. I always read the rules of a message board before I make my first post. It is common decency to know what is expected of me before I start conversing with people. All message boards have a diffrent view of what is acceptable and what is not.

Devotion: This all boils down to personal preference. Everyones devotion or love for the subject in question (here transformers) is diffrent and no less or more valid than anothers. I bear no bias on this.

Fandom/Devotion: I do however dislike those who feel that because they know more or have more think that they are better than the rest. This is a hobby. Most, like myself, collect and hang out in boards such as these for FUN. When the anoyance outweighs the fun I'm outahere.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. A Transformer fan is someone who enjoys TF cartoons and/or toys and/or comics. He/she doesn't have to like everything Transformers, as long as something TF related makes them happy once in a while.

Fandom, is somewhere they join if they want to share their opinion about their hobby. I don't think there's "You need to know this and that about Transformers" requirements to join the boards, but the basic reading and writing skills with some common sense are needed. Like reading other threads first to make sure what you are going to make a new thread about is not covered already. How much one should cover is hard to say...I don't think someone should be bashed just because what he made a thread about was covered 2 months ago, but I guess it depends.

I still think I am one of the least knowledgeable TF fans here in TFW, but I have been here just over a year :bday  and people have been very kind.

2. I try not to judge people, but I can't often help myself. What I don't do is to post in a thread just to say "OMG your grammer/opinion/toy/dog sucks!!"
    That's what I thought about THENEWGUY threads (I posted in one, though), if you think a thread is annoying, don't post there. It'll be pushed away very quickly.

3. How much people are devoted to their hobby doesn't worry me, as long as they don't preach theirs is the only right way to enjoy the hobby.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think that the fandom is what we make it... How we behave, how we socialize, and how we perceive ourselves reflects on what other that are not in the fandom perceive us...

So in essence, if we do get labeled or judged, it can be our own fault... I like to perceive myself as a normal person that no one would suspect me of collect anything or belonging to a fandom... In fact, I'd probably feel more uncomfortable if I were to say, go to BOTCON and see fans that take this far more seriously than I do...

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

My 2 cents

First off good idea for a thread Ops :thumbs2: 

Fandom: Whether you like the toys,the shows or the comics.Then you're a fan.I don't judge a fan by how much he/she knows or how many toys he/she may have.To me if you like the show you're a fan.Terms like true fan are about being elitist snobs

Here's my experience,I've been a Buffyverse fan since the show premiered,I've seen all the episodes at least 2-4 times each.However I had a former friend who was way into the Buffyverse having the toys,weapons,DVDs & related merchandise.And he ACTUALLY said flatout "Look I own the DVDs,belong to the boards and buy the merchandise.No offense but I'm a bigger fan then you" That hurt to be honest,it's like he saying my opinions don't count.

And for a TF related experience,on another TF board.The owner was given a C&D order by Hasbro in '00 because he was offering downloads of G1 episodes for a small fee.Now because I wouldn't sign the online petition against Hasbro,I was labeled a traitor to the "true fans"

Judgement:I've NEVER judged a TF noobie,honestly everyone's been a noob at one time or another.And honestly if you know something that another fan might not know that he/she might find interesting.You should share that info,as that what fans do

Devotion: This is iffy ground to be honest.Although there are obviously people who take this hobby WAY TO SERIOUSLY.Like the fans who sent threatening e-mails to Bob Skir or those people who make TF hentai.I mean honestly it's just a show and just a toyline.All these online petition/long winded rants about why said toyline/convention/series sucks really adds nothing positive to the fandom.In fact it honestly detracks and makes it negative.

7. ErikB

ErikB TF Master

in the long run who cares?! i'm a geek to many, a friend to a lot, and a hell of a collector! We are like anyone else on this planet who likes something. you ever take a look at some sports fans and see how off the wall they get?!

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

I've been obsessed with finding the "correct" way to collect Transformers. The typical "just buy what you like" advice doesn't register with me. Does that make me a freak? I don't know, but it sure doesn't make me normal.

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I accept people based on their personality. If you act like a rabid fanboy, chances are I'm going to feel "above" you and treat you as such. But if you're cool, treat me like an equal, and enjoy good humor (and bad humor at times), that's fine.

Other than that? I'm a normal guy with a normal job in a normal apartment with an amazing girlfriend and I just happen to buy Transformers.

10. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I'd like to disagree slightly with that. Dork/nerd/geek are all basically pejorative labels applied to someone who's basically more involved in a specific interest than most people feel is normal. So, to the extent that "dorky" implies that being a fan of Transformers is something abnormal and strange, I would have to disagree with you on the way most people see it.

Without counting posts, the feeling I picked up most from the Freak thread was that collecting TFs is essentially equivalent to being a car or motorcycle nut, collecting books, metal soldiers, quilters (they collect fabric, usually) etc. It just doesn't have a pedigree. So I would have to come down on the side of "not dorky at all, just a particular manifestation of a common phenomenon."

1. FANDOM: I would define a member of the fandom as someone who has any sort of interest in Transformers, but who is over the age that the toys are ostensibly aimed at (let's say under 12 or so). Kids that age are still Fans, but generally haven't made the conscious decision to be involved in the Fandom on any sort of meaningful level.

2. JUDGMENT: The most immediately form of judgment is a first impression on what sort of contribution the person will make to the community. Writing plays a big part, so does attitude. I'm sorry, but someone that can barely communicate intelligibly in English cannot meaningfully contribute to an English speaking community. The same goes for someone who's mentally disabled or is an inveterate jerk. First impressions are important and often accurate, and to make judgments on newcomers is both normal and perfectly acceptable, as long as meanness isn't used in an unwarranted manner. If you want to join the community, have the respect to take the time to try and make a good first impression.

That said, I can't recall ever seeing someone who was genuinely trying to join the community in a productive way be collectively slapped down. Even if someone was snippy at the beginning, I've always seen others come by and ease the pain for the new guy. At least on these boards.

3. DEVOTION: It's going to be different depending on your time and money available. As long as the collecting doesn't cause an undue hardship financially to the person, and doesn't detract from his relationships with the people in his or her life, it's not too much. Leonardo DiCaprio having an 8 room complex with MISB copies of every Transformer ever produced, catalogued and organized by his Personal Transformers Assistant would probably not be an undue hardship. But for someone working 80 hours a week or very low on income, even casual collecting could be a problem.

11. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. FANDOM: You are what you like. We judge ourselves and so do others around you. If you like something it doesn't matter if you collect or not you're a fan. To let another person define how much of a fan you are is pointless unless you value their opinion. Like what you like as much as you like and be happy with it. (otherwise, what's the point?) Just be cool about it and respectful of what others like.

2. JUDGEMENT: If some one is cool and respectful of others, then they will be treated in kind. If you want to cause trouble, then trouble will follow you. I usually will treat others how I want to be treated and that usually works. (there are exceptions to which exceptions must be made, but those are few and far inbetween, thankfully.)

3. DEVOTION: Well... I would not be the best example for this one since I did publish 9 books on the toys. But, I will say that you should only collect what you want and the hell with what anybody else says. It's your collection. Everybody does it differently that you. And no matter how big your collection is, there is always sombody who has a bigger one or at least, has something you don't.

Some of us long time collectors have huge collections due to the number of years we put into it. I have bought TF's for over 20 years. I have a very large collection of toys, statues, comics, DVD's, etc... But I didn't build it overnight. If a large collection is your goal, then make a buget and work towards it. However you want to do it. It's your collection. :thumbs2: 

MIP, Autobots only, Optimus Prime only, Hell... I know a guy who only buys motorcycle TF's. Whatever you do... Just have fun with it. :D 

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1. FANDOM: In theory, a Transformers fan is someone who identifies themself as such. Practically...for me, I'd expect some basic knowledge beyond "the truck led the good guys and the gun was the bad guy leader...they were purple, right?" I like Severus' standard here as far being past the age of 12 or so, but with the added condition that they have pursued some aspect of fandom since passing that age as well.
    As far as this board in particular, I joined here because it's not quite as...intense, I think is an appropriate word, as allspark.com, it features what seems to a higher median age than tfans.com, provides an equal amount of attention of all series and all forms of fandom (kitbashing, art, news, and so on) and is accessible both in terms of its format and its members to newer fans (and to older fans that have only a working knowledge of computers and the internet).
    Just to put it out there, I don't post all that often, but I love this damn site. Love it. I check it at least daily, depend on it for all my news, enjoy the discussions and kitbash postings, and credit it for making the last year of my life here much, much, much more enjoyable.

2. JUDGMENT: I'm extremely judgmental of writing ability (for that alone, I enjoy your posts, Ops). In a medium where language is the only means of conveying an impression, it's worth a little effort to present yourself well. No matter how clever your point is, if it's terribly written I'm inclined to dismiss it out of hand. Now, if English is clearly not a person's first language, that's one thing (and actually impressive, since I know damn well I couldn't post on any non-English boards), but for those of us who grew up speaking it...please, 'your' is NOT the same as 'you're.' But that's just me.
    Knowledge of Transformers varies--mastery of product codes is great and all, but they hold no thrill for me. And I'm weak on the anything Japanese before Binaltech. But part of this board's purpose is to share knowledge. Most threads I've started were questions, and so far I haven't been dissapointed in the receiving answers. So I wouldn't ever hold a lack of knowledge against a fan. That being said, if you know you've got a lot to learn, then try to be aware of that fact in your posts. Access to new and unreleased Transformers content has nothing to do with being a fan. I appreciate those who do have it when they share, but the fact that I'm not in the industry or friendly with someone who is doesn't define my status as a fan.

3. DEVOTION: Again, I'm with Severus. If you can afford the time and money you put into collecting, then go for it. There are some people I personally think are crazy in specific aspects of their collecting (that guy who is supposedly trying to buy all the Dreadwinds, for example, or even Elvin Pena's extraordinary Convoy/OP collection), but not in a bad way. More of a, "Man, that guy is crazy, but if that's his thing..." For me, it's no different than my friends who are rabid fans of a particular sports team. I think they're crazy, but in a healthy and entertaining way. On the other hand, if I met someone who had a car repo'd or saw a marriage collapse as a direct result of collecting, I might think they took it too far, but that's it. I'm not aware of that ever happening, but I'm sure at some point it has.

Long as it doesn't affect you, who cares? That's been my problem with the freak/dork threads...why go looking for unpleasantness? There's plenty of it in the world without trying to shoulder another label on yourself or the rest of us in the fandom. I don't think the elitism is cool either, but it doesn't get to me. Same goes for those threads that collapse into bizarre arguments. Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Although as highbrow as I'm trying to be, I openly admit to rolling my eyes and shaking my head at the alternateens that bought the t-shirts that were available as Hot Topic a few years back. Could be 'cause I sorta felt something I considered to be special was (in my eyes) being denigrated, but more likely than that, I'm just an ass sometimes.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. I don't usually try to judge who is or isn't a fan, or a "true fan". I figure if the interest and knowledge is more than "Oh yeah, I think I remeber those", that's good enough for me. I kind of assume everyone on this board qualifies, since they/you/us made the effort to join it.

2. I judge people more on personality than anything else, but writing is part of it, as inarticulate is hard to read. Act intolerant, arrogant, and ignorant, and expect to be disliked.

3. IMO, pretty much any level of devotion should be OK, short of being destructive to your own finances, relationships, health, or whatever.

That said, I was in a Best Buy a couple days ago, and on my way out the door, some young guy and his friend (looked to be around 18 give or take) said "Hey, I like that Transformers shirt."
    I (in my Botcon 2002 shirt) said "This, oh yeah. thanks."
    "'Till all are one, man!" he said.

Suddenly I was creeped out for no apparent reason, so I'm more judgemental than I wanna be sometimes, It seems. :) 

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    for the most part, im judgmental towards fans who have a superficial love towards TF the brand.

the whole "ooh! i got this exclusive!" - "ooh! i buy 2 of each, 1 to play 1 to keep MISB" - collect for the sake of collecting mentality without a sense history or even familiarity with characters irk me for some reason.

in other words, i dont particular care for fans whose show of love for the brand does not extend beyond their representation/ownership of the material.

myself? whatever i collect i can for the most part cite anecdotes or trivia about the toy or character itself. i'd like to think i care for what i collect in that way.

15. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

It's interesting how variations on this discussion come up from time to time, but this is one of the best ones I've seen come up in a while.

FANDOM: I'm not a "true believer" or hardcore fan. I don't try to portray myself as such, nor would I want anyone to think that I thought I was. I'm not an expert. I've probably alternately annoyed and amused a lot of fans with my tendency to absent-mindedly talk out of my ass (yes, I'm aware it's a problem).

That said, I don't know what my take on the fandom is. Sometimes it pisses me off, sometimes it depresses me, and sometimes I get a big kick out of it. Mostly I just enjoy watching what goes on.

I also have to get something off my chest. I don't like to say anything too heavy or controversial, because I dislike flame wars, and I won't participate in them. This means I usually "lose" them. I figure life is too short. So, preparing for possible flamage:

I don't think there should be ANY "requirements" for fandom. It's all a bunch of elitist crap. If you love TFs at all, even just a little bit, fine, you're a fan. I have no problem with that, because I'm an egalitarian sort.

I'm not interested in the inter-fandom fights and rivalries, either.

JUDGMENT: I try to go easy on new fans, when I happen to come across them (hello, Syd, I don't think you're a new fan anymore!). We were all new once, you know. (On a related note, the word "n00b" causes me to suffer from CERS, or Compulsive Eye-Rolling Syndrome.)

Anyway, the only way a new fan can ruin his or her (usually his) rep with me is to either start fights and be a constant jerk, or else start lecturing all the Old Fans on their behavior, even if they deserve it, because it's not the kind of behavior that ever stops.

To make it clear: I have no problem if someone politely points out that someone has acted badly, new fan or not. What I have a problem with is rude behavior. Haranguing and lecturing is rude behavior. That's all.

I also try to avoid any fans, new or not, who constantly make snap judgments on entire groups of people. That wears on me a bit, but it's my problem, and I won't say any more about it. I don't particularly care to get into a fight with anyone, and we all mistakes. Including, and especially, me.

DEVOTION: This can be a bottomless pit, if you're not careful. (MISB and import collecting seem to be especially hazardous, wallet-destroying pitfalls.) Collectors can and have wrecked themselves trying to buy everything in their field, so you do need to pace yourself.

One thing is, themed collecting is actually kind of fun. It gives you a chance to assemble something a little offbeat and different. I started collecting Magnus toys because he wasn't a popular character to collect, but it's not a particularly large collection, either. Also, think of something like alphie's oddities, which I think is cool because those are the things that few would think to collect, at least at first. Transformers is a very toy-centric hobby. With the Alvarez book helping people out, I'm sure this area will become more popular eventually.

I don't think just rabidly buying everything does you any favors, but that's because it's destructive to your finances. Again, if you want a big collection, slow down and space your purchases out a bit, and make sure you have the room to display and store it properly.

Apart from all that glurge, no other thoughts :lol 

16. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

1. FANDOM: In my opinion, anyone, that to some degree, has a knowledge of Transformers and enjoys recollecting, discussing about it is a fan.

2. JUDGMENT: I like when a post is well structured and written, but other than that, I never judge someone based on the content of his/her posts.

3. DEVOTION: The only thing that qualifies as too much for me is when people don't seem to know when to quit or when to stop arguing about something without insulting one another.

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

FANDOM: I see being a fan as anyone who enjoys any aspect of Transformers, be it comic books, television shows, toys, the movie(s) etc, it's just like anything else, one can be a fan of sports, music, movie books, other toys/TV shows.

As for myself, when I started having children of my own, and shopping for toys for them it actually got me back into the toy isle of department stores. I saw they still had transformers (that turned into animals at the time) and I remembered how much I loved Transformers as a child, it kind of reconnected me to my childhood. Around the same time Beast Wars was on TV very early in the morning and I started watching it before I went to work, when I saw the episode "Possession" I realized it was connected to the original Transformers, and then continued watching it because the writing and story-lines were so well done, but the toys really didn't interest me at that point.

Still, I got on the internet and started searching for websites about transformers, as a long time had passed and I had forgotten a lot about them, I found one or two message boards (I honestly can remember which ones they were) but they were full of rabid fanboy assholes, so I lost interest in them quickly.

A while later I just happened across TFW2005, I think it was just a little while before they started hosting episodes of Car Robots, and I signed up for their message board a day or two after they fist opened it. They car robots toys really drew me back in, more than anything I just thought they were cool looking, but I didn't want to pay high import prices.

This was about the same time the Vehicons came out, and I really liked the design aesthetic of them, even if they really didn't look like "Transformers" in the traditional sense, but still I started buying the toys, I used to have a complete collection. When they imported CR as RID I started collecting those, and then my collecting went into a lull when Armada came out.

I actually sold off (nearly) all of my transformers around that time and didn't do any collecting at all until Alternators came out, they drew me back in, just for the fact that (realistic) cars that turned into robots was the appeal of the original transformers to me, and it didn't hurt that when I was 9/10 the cartoon and movie were cool as hell.

JUDGMENT: I simply judge anyone on any message board by how they "come off" I do get aggravated by people who chastise folks who are unknowlageable or the lovely "welcome to last week" type posts. Not everyone spends a lot of time on internet message boards and sometimes things move quickly and a news item can end up on the second or third page quickly.

Plus, I think that negativity twords a "new guy" on any message board tends only to be discouraging and might make them fell they would be able to get better answerers or more friendly responses elsewhere (I don't see too much of that here, but I also visit a lot of musician's message boards and astronomy message boards where people can get quite rude/condescending).

I don't care about one's grammer or spelling as much as I do about their ability to get their point across effectively.

DEVOTION: It does not matter what hobby you are talking about, there will be those who are "into" it more than others, which is fine, just as long as they don't act all high and mighty about it. That's what I think defines a "fanboy", someone like the comic book guy on the Simpsons who rolls his eyes and sighs when someone gets some fact wrong, or has less extensive knowledge of a comic book/toy line/ movie/ TV show than them, example:

Guy 1: "I really like Transformers, cars that turn into robots are cool!"

Fanboy: "*SIGH* (roll eyes) Transformers alllllllso turn into jets, dinosaurs, guns, trucks, monkeys, tape recorders, animals, non-descript vehicle looking things, bunnys, penguins, dragons, (on and on and on).

I don't think you are taking things too far unless (like a few others here said) you start not being able to pay your rent or feed your children because of it, and that goes for any hobby.

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    1-FANDOM: Well I like to think in myself as part of the fandom even without knowing some of the basic sutff like the original voice actors or how may Primes variations are in these days. :D  But seriously, sometimes when I read a thread discussing an X toy I read without knowing what the heck are you guys talking about. I think that the fact of reading, watching and collecting figures from different lines makes me part ofr the fandom.
    Of course I could be wrong.

2-JUDGMENT: who am I to judge a new fan? Probably the "newby" will know a lot of things that I don't so I just say to him "Welcome".

3-DEVOTION: I think in Tf as a hobby. When I have some extra cash I like to buy a new comic or toy; the same goes for TV, if I have time to watch it I do it but sometimes when I'm to bussy I say to myself "Oh well, tomorrow perhaps". Let's just say that I adjust Tf to my schedule instead of adjusting my schedule for Tf.
    I think that when you spend way too much money in figures, comics, DVDs and some other piece of merchandising when your salary is limited and you have expenses to pay, buy clothes, food and etc, then your are crossing the line between hobby and obsession.
    But is not only about money but also how you talk with your friends and family about, if someone says to a fan "Megatron shouldn't be a gun never again" and the fan goes crazy and talks about the "why Megatron should be a gun" for a long time that's another sign of obsession. Transformers is a nice hobby as long the fan don't take it to seriously.

19. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

My 2 cents...

FANDOM: Anyone who expresses interest in Transformers comics, cartoons, toys, statues, etc., is a fan IMHO. I don't feel that any one person has a right to say that they are a true fan, when someone else is not due to not liking one of the above. Makes me want to :stick:  .

JUDGEMENT: No one on this board can say that they have not been judgemental of another person's ideas/feelings at one point or another. We as humans are judgemental, even though we hypocritically pride ourselves on being non-judgemental. I am very judgemental of a person's language/grammar, since this is a written forum. Not that I never make mistakes, (I am human after all) and the one-off misspelling does not bother me. And I do understand that we do have several members who English is their second language, and they do a whole hell of a lot better with English than I would with their language. I do not, however, flame a person for their misuse of the english language, but I will sometimes "gently coach" the person on it from time to time, so they do not get harrassed by someone else down the line.

I myself do not post very often, because I have repeatedly been judged and/or misunderstood by others on this board, and have seen several instances when I or others have been shut down by a Mod or someone in a position of "authority" for breaking the same rules that they themsleves break regularly. I have been a member for years under one name or another, and I love to read others' opinions and see how folks view the TF world.

Another factor of judgement I have seen personally is when one fan says their collection is better than mine for (insert reason here). I have a good friend who is also a huge TF fan, and he never misses an opportunity to let me know his collection is better than mine for various reasons (he collects Binaltech, and I collect Alternators therefore his is better; he gets Japanese imports and I buy american therefore his is better, he only buys characters that appear in the shows, and I buy pieces that I think look cool, even if they are not in the show therefore his is better). I have tried to talk about this to him, and it never quite sinks in. It seems that many folks view collecting as a competition, instead of something to be shared, which I view to be another form of judgement.

DEVOTION: Devotion can be easliy turned to the darkside of OBSESSION. I am extremely devoted to my collection, but I have a beautiful wife, 3 daughters, a mortgage, and 2 cats to take care of before I improve my collection. It is after all a hobby, not a lifestyle. I have never personally heard of anyone severely fucking up their life over Transformers, and if they have, I feel sad for them, as I do not view Transformers worth sacrificing what I think is a pretty sweet life.

Just my 2 cents, I don't mean to offend anyone. Please keep in mind that opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

20. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

FANDOM: I like Moon Knight. I haven't read any Moon Knight stories since the early 90s, but I'm still a Moon Knight fan.

JUDGEMENT: I don't really judge on grammer and the like. One of the coolest people here never uses capitals letters as far as I can see. It's when you cause trouble, talk down to folks, or are basically a jerk that I start to think of you as one.

DEVOTION: So long as you can afford it and isn't affecting you're personal relationships, go for it. If I were a gazillionare, I would probably track down serval pieces of each TF ever created so I could display them all in each mode in their own mansion. But I'm not, so I ain't gonna even try.

I don't understand the import thing myself. Paying close to double just over some paint and/or a box? :huh But if that's your cup of tea, go for it.

However, if you've ever proclaimed that Japan needs to be nuked again because of Armada, Skir needs to die, or that blood will be spillt if Cullen and Welkner aren't cast in their respective roles in the live action movie, seek therapy.