If not Cullen and Welker....

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ger_Hankey, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

Then who?
    Just suppose for a minute that for some reason Peter Cullen and Frank Welker can't in any way do the voices for Optimus Prime and Megatron (say, for instance, they were both got the lead roles in Brokeback Mountain 2: The Old Flame Re-Kindled, and it was shooting the exact same time) who would you like to do those voices?

And just to make this clear, I'm just asking "what if", its just pure speculation, and I won't take
    "If Cullen and Welker are not in it the Movie is gonna suck and I would poke rusty nails in my eyes before I go see it" as an answer, Ok?

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I keep thinking about george clooney for Prime but I'm not sure about Optimus doing Budweiser commercials.

Maybe they need to go way outside the mold on this.

3. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

I agree they need to get voice actors who people cant recognize as major movie stars. other wise people would associate the actor with the character rather than the other way round!

Megatron however i feel needs a deep sophisticated voice if its not going to be welker. I hope it is Welker however as he is megatron!!!

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

With the way I see it, not having Cullen and Welker would have the same feeling as hearing someone who was NOT Chris Latta voicing Starscream in Beast Wars.

If Cullen and Welker absolutely could not get the roles, I wouldn't mind David Kaye voicing Megatron, provided he stays AWAY from doing a Welker impression. Kaye's Megatron performance in Beast Wars was mighty impressive, and while Beast Machines might not have been the best series, his voicework in that series was fantastic. I could definitely envision Kaye doing his own version of Megatron, but it would just feel wrong to have him do a Welker impression.

With Optimus, I think the role is far, far, far more iconic and memorable than a Megatron role, so the actor would probably have less "wiggle" room. I honestly have no idea who I'd want for this role. Chalk wouldn't be a bad choice, but I think Neil Kaplan did an even better job channeling a Cullen impression. During some scenes of RiD, I forgot it wasn't Cullen, I thought he was THAT good.

If, on the other hand, there are to be famous actors in these roles, then anything goes, I suppose. Knowing Michael Bay, Ali G will be Megatron, and Hayden Christensen will be Optimus. Or something.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

No second rate Cullen knock offs, for Prime! If it's not the original, I want something different. That's why I don't mind Kaye's Megatron, but Chalk's Prime drives me up the wall.

Wonder how Peter Weller would sound, as Prime?

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I think the following actors could pull off a great Prime and Megatron

Optimus Prime

Avery Brooks - Cpt Sisko; DS9
    Keith David - Goliath;Gargoyles,Spawn;Spawn TAS
    Michael Clark Duncan

*I can definately envision the first 2.Something about their deep voice SCREAMS Optimus Prime*

Megatron

Sir Ian Mckkellen
    Patrick Stewart

*When I read WWI,I always envisioned him with a deep charasmatic voice*

7. Lord Of Tetris

Whoa. I never thought of that, actually. While I really hate guessing games like this (since we know nothing about casting the TF voices by now, the role could go to ANYBODY), Peter Weller is the best "big name" (sort of) actor I've heard to play Prime. Loads better than this George Clooney crap I've been hearing.

Also, I never even thought of Keith David, but he's a good choice too.

Anywhoo, now that I've had a few hours to think about it, even though Bay could end up casting someone like Will Smith, my choice for a Prime if I absolutely had to do without Cullen is...

Kevin Conroy.

For those unfamiliar with him, he's the voice actor who has been playing Batman's voice in the Batman cartoons from 1992 till, if I recall correctly, just earlier this year through the conclusion of JLU. This guy is amazing. His voice acting is superb, and his Batman voice is commanding, deep, and authoritative when it needs to be, but completely warm and inviting when need be.

Also, he has a bit of the John Wayne/Clint Eastwood quality that Cullen has. He's similar enough, yet different enough.

8. Shaun_C

Thanks L.O.T. :) 

I put some thought into it awhile ago.I simply envisioned what I felt was a good voice while reading my TF comics one time.Keith David pulled off Goliath well.I may not want the original,doesn't mean I want a bad voice though ;) 

You think so?I've never heard John Wayne or Clint Eastwood so I wouldn't know.

Hey we think alike,we both chose VAs of anti-heros :D 

See we're not so different after all ;) 

9. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm... For Prime, Seth McFarlane as Peter, and Megatron umm Seth McFarlane as Stewie.

No, Im just jokin. If it cant be Cullen and Welker, I would say Gary Chalk and David Kaye. I grew up with them in BWs, so it dosent bug me as much as others. To be honest, I like them just as much as Cullen and Welker, but I would prefer Cullen and Welker.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    as ive repeteadly reiterated (?):

travolta = megs
    cage = prime.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No! Prime should be Seth McFarlane as Brian, and Megatron should be Seth McFarlane as Quagmire (giggity!)

Seth does a LOT of voices on that show.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Actually, I thought Travolta would make a good Starscream.

"Awe man! I shot Wheelie in the face...."

13. Lord Of Tetris

Actually, I can imagine Christopher Walken doing a Starscream. He can just use his regular voice, too. It'd be disastrous to have him do a Latta impression, but Walken has an evil, mischievous, and slightly humorous tone to every word he says.

The sound might be something in a new direction, but I think Walken has the personality for it.

14. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I like the voices of:

Morgan Freeman
    Ian McKellan
    Patrick Stewart
    Liam Neeson
    Ian McDiarmid

Mostly older, but very distinguished

15. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

been thinking who should play prime.

Micheal Beihn

what a legend!!! he was brilliant in Aliens and terminator and he seems to be always sacrificing himself something which i think links him to primes character!!!

16. Jaxius

Jaxius New Member

Hm, Keith David is a good choice, so is Kevin Conroy for Prime.
    I did like David Kayes' BW Megatron, it really had some nice moments.
    As for big stars that might play the role? I'd have to go with Morgan Freeman as Optimus and Liam Neeson as Megatron. I do like the idea of Christopher Walken playing Starscream too.

17. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

If I wouldn't be able to get Cullen or Welker it's an easy choice for Megs but I'm clueless for Prime.

Megatron would be an easy David Kaye. I loved his work in Beast Wars, he's mostly the only reason I enjoy that show.

Bur for Prime it's not that easy of a decision. I am totally clueless who I would like to be seen casted. Chalk was/is alright but still not the best in my book. If I had to choose one right now I must say that I liked Kaplan from RID.

18. BamBam25

BamBam25 Well-Known Member

Kevin Conroy would definitely be a good choice. I get this stinging notion they'll get a bunch of well-knowns for the voices of the Transformers. If that's the case, maybe Kurt Russell or Nathan Fillion (from Firefly & Serenity). For Megatron, John Malkovich or Ralph Fiennes.
    -On a side note, I think somebody like Michael Rosenbaum of Jake Gyllenhaal should do the voice of Bumblebee.

19. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't want to be a negative nancy here, but what if their are no speaking parts for the transformers? It's very likely Michael Bay chose to portray them as alien robots whose war we can't comprehend and the movie is really just about us all trying to survive; esentially focusing on the human element. That would effing suck.

However, if Bay values his career he will give them speaking parts. My wacky idea for Megatron is Corey Taylor, the lead singer of Slipknot. The guy has got a menacing voice when he speaks.

-OR-

Hugo Weaving (aka Mr. Smith, V, Elrond). If you saw V, you know his voice very well and we know he can be evil cause of his role as Mr. Smith.

Prime should be played by Nathan Lane.

GOTCHA!!! I'd like to see Viggo Mortensen in that role. We know he can play the hero. My other choice is that dude from starwars who hosted fact or fiction. I don't know his name, I never watched either show. I saw and Star Trek: First Contact (Cause I share the same last name as Zefram). That dude has a good voice for Prime.

20. Shaun_C

*sigh*

Don't worry about that.Early drafts have speaking roles for the Transformers

BTW what are you basing that thought on?Because I've read nothing that even validates that.

I'm pretty sure the movie in and of itself will be fine.Just that fans generally speaking need to settle down a bit :)