If not Bay, then who? (a matter of interest)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    I guess that doesn't work for all audience. I thought Armageddon was great, but didn't like Deep Impact one bit.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Didn't see Deep Impact, but I saw Armageddon. I thought it was great, too.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm happy with Bay for what this is: a summer action blockbuster.

That being said, I'd enjoy visiting a paralell universe where either Ridley Scott or James Cameron directed it.

And for the train-wreck appeal, I'm with MMM on Uwe Boll. That guy directs like he's on the meth.

4. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I can definitely understand the whole "story and character development isn't Bay's strong point" argument, because it's true. But then again, have those things ever been a heavy element to Transformers? Yeah, maybe over the course of 52 episodes you'll get a story arch and character development out of it, but how much of that do you get in a 2 hour block of any Transformers series? I mean how much story and character development do you get out of the 3-part MTMTE G1 pilot? Surely not more than what Bay is capable of delivering. Point is, I believe it's important to have a director whose strong point is the same strong point as the franchise. You know, you wouldn't get Jared Hess to direct Transformers just because it has some comical elements :p 

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I wonder if the people who worry about character development might generally be fans of the comics more than the cartoons. The comics haven't always been super-deep, but they've occasionally made an attempt at it, and they've always had some pretty strong characterization. As far as the cartoons though, you're dead on. The characters are fun, but completely two-dimensional. Even most of the Beast Wars characters had a limited amount of depth. Since I'm a fan of TFs in any medium, rich character development is nice, but far from a requirement for TransFormers.

6. Therickoning

Therickoning Member

Bay isn't too bad a choice in my opinion, but I know who I would NOT want fot this movie.

Paul W. S. Anderson....

He's ruined Resident Evil and AvsP for me. If he was doing TF, I wouldn't bother. He means well with his work, but he always finds new ways to dissapoint me.

But now that I think of it, James Cameron would have been a great choice too. If he wasn't still stuck on his damned Titanic rift.

7. Lord Madhammer

Lord Madhammer Just a simple man

News Credits:
    I agree 100000%. There's too much of a sense of entitlement surrounding discussions like this IMO. We may think that the world needs a great Transformers movie, but the rest of the world probably needs to be convinced of that. Michael Bay is a fantastic action director, and I don't know what more one could want for a TF movie.

I'll guarantee that there will be a ton more character development in this movie than in all of G1 (toon/movie, that is).

8. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    perhaps spielberg personally selected bay not only for his ability to shoot fantastic action, but because he wanted to stay as true as possible to the theme of the original cartoons...2 dimensional characters with awesome fights (to put it quite, quite simply).

9. Lord Madhammer

News Credits:
    In my opinion, the non-negotiable of Transformers is "kickass action". You can't have a successful TF movie without that IMO. So again, I think Bay is a very good choice in that regard. Could another director handle the story or characters better? I'm sure. But is that really the point?

I'm also willing to give Bay the benefit of the doubt... with Spielberg's influence I think that the characters will get the attention they deserve.

10. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With the exception of Armageddon, I'm not familiar with much of anything that Bay has done, after reading the list of credits on IMDB. Not sure how much involvement he had in Armageddon, but I really dug that movie. What else has Bay done that may lend him to being a good choice for the new TF movie?

11. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Correct. Spielberg should fill in any shortcomings that Bay may have. Though honestly, I don't think his shortcomings even factor in to a film about giant alien robots who beat the crap out of eachother.

12. Lord Madhammer

News Credits:
    :lol  no kidding

unless they keep that scene with Megatron and Starscream and the energon crackers

13. Veritechnium

Veritechnium Well-Known Member

Maybe Steve-o will fill in any gaps. If I could choose someone else to direct it would probably be Mamoru Oshii (Ghost In The Shell, Avalon, Patlabor) or from Hollywood - Roland Emmerich. Hard to think of anyone other than Spielberg himself that could pull it off.
    Many people reckon Bay's 'realistic approach won't work, still, has to be seen.

14. flamepanther

If you liked Armageddon, you've got very little to worry about. That's one of the examples often held up by people that don't like his movies, along with Pearl Harbor. The Rock is one of Bay's more popular movies. I personally liked The Island quite a bit, despite the low ticket sales in the U.S. and the excessive product placements for Microsoft. It was Bay's commentary on the DVD for The Island that finally convinced me that he was a good choice.

15. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I also liked Pearl Harbor, though, I wish they would have left some of the sappy love story stuff out of it. I seem to dig the camera action in his movies.

16. Poho

News Credits:
    madhammer's right. with spielberg over his shoulder, Bay will probably do an excellent job.

17. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    To be on the honest side, bay really isnt a problem. I mean action flicks in transformers....DUH! Bay has so much experience with action scenes. Know teenage love...I don think their will be much of that in their, but It might show the relationships tied between huminoid and human alike. Wich is an important theme if you ask me.

18. flamepanther

Well then. As long as you're okay with the designs, you should really like TransFormers.

19. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    uwe boll

20. Poho

News Credits:
    LOLLERCOASTER. also hot chick.