If not Bay, then who? (a matter of interest)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I'm not going to lie, when I heard Michael Bay was directing it, my heart sank. Freakin' Captain Hollywood. HOWEVER, upon deeper reflection, I drew the following conclusion about his movies: solid action flicks that get semi-ruined by a crumby love story. Now, it would appear that the TF movie may fall into this category. But, having Spielberg on board HAS to count for something. Clearly, though, Bay was not the best choice. I want to know who everyone else thinks could have done/could be doing a better job.

2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Based on what?

I'm new here, and don't mean to start a fight with my first post, but if you haven't seen the job Bay has done yet (i.e. final film) then isn't a discussion on who could've done it better pretty pointless?

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'm glad we got Bay. his action scenes are fantastic, which is something thats required for transformers.

4. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    The director who did Spider-Man 1 and 2. Michael Bay SUCKS at directing, IMO.

5. Poho

News Credits:
    i retract "clearly not" and replace it with "may have" and "not been". you're right, and so is he. we won't know until july 4th. but he does do damn fine action sequences. and i guess that is all that counts, lol....

also megan fox's boobies.

6. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Sorry, Michael Bay would be my only choice.

Transformers as anything other than an action film would be silly. So why get anyone less than the premiere action director to do it? It's not like if Raimi did it, you'd have a film with 90% Transformers screentime; he'd still have the same $150m budget to work with, so screentime either needs to be equally shared with human actors, or you need to settle on really shitty CGI.

7. Poho

News Credits:
    good call.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

All of the producers seemed to believe beyond a doubt that Bay was the right guy for this, so until I see the result, I'm going to have to trust their judgment.

As for other directors who might have been good for TransFormers, Speilberg himself would have been a good choice. Rodriguez or Tarantino would have been interesting choices, and I'd be curious to see what either of them would do, but they're probably not the best choices, and they'd probably refuse to do it anyway. Cameron might also have done an interesting job of it, but he's already busy with multiple projects. In all reality, I don't think there was a better choice than Bay to be had.

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    indeed

spielberg hand-picked bay as one of his choices for directors

and spielberg has never let me down thus far xP

i think bays a perfect fit personally
    he films action sequences VERY well
    car chases? oh yes
    gun fights? heck yes
    special effects have always been top notch in his movies and just his visual style is very attractive to me [his choices as far as lighting and colors are really awesome imo]

in all honesty, i cant really say i could see any other director do it better [or at all :p ]

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Last night I had a dream that Uwe Boll did it.

Needless to say, it was not a pretty picture.

11. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's Sam Raimi! Yap he was my first choice. Michael Bay is a break or make director his movies are like if its good then its really good and if its bad than its really bad. I just hope this movie is not like blowing things up and big explosions and all and it really piss me that humans have more frame time than the transformers. I mean did'nt they say that CGI actually reduces a film's cost that's why films like Shrek, Nemo had made such money.

12. flamepanther

:puke: 

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Im fine with bay.

14. flamepanther

Uh... well you've got two completely different things there. An entire CGI cartoon film is not like a realistic CGI special effect. Imagine any character from those movies, as they appear in their own film, superimposed in a live action scene. It doesn't work. Live action movie effects have to be much more realistic and detailed, and that makes them more expensive.

As for live action film, yeah giant CGI robots are going to be cheaper than building full-sized working animatronic robots. That would be insanely expensive, not to mention currently impossible. In a lot of cases, a CGI effect is cheaper than the alternative practical effect, but it's not like if you put more CGI into a movie it gets cheaper or something.

15. Majin Tenshi

Majin Tenshi Member

Clearly the ideal director would be M. Night Shyamalan.

16. Cory Bauer

Like Flamepanther said, that's not photorealistic CGI. It's just "computer animation". You're talking about making cartoons on computer versus making reality on computer. Big difference.

And at the end of the film, the Transformers take off their masks to reveal they are actually a colony of Sasquatch just looking to live in harmony with humans...what a twist!

17. Majin Tenshi

Majin Tenshi Member

Actualy I'd go for: "camera pans over roads around the world as every vehicle transforms, standing to watch Prime's big-pillar-o-light transmission. The camera zooms on one of them, closeing on their faction symbol, before fadeing to black."

(not sure if the symbol should be Autobot, Decepticon, some other, or a new one but meh)

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    THAT would be pretty cool.

19. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I don't consider Bay a premiere action director. I understand that some people thought that Armageddon and The Rock were the bee's knees, but his movies have never appealed to me. In my experience, Bay does a poor job of developing his characters. Chris Nolan and Sam Rami among others have proven that you can develop a solid movie franchise without disregarding strong characterization. I'm glad you like Michael Bay as a choice, but he isn't for everyone.

20. Cory Bauer

Nice! :D 

The great thing about Bay's Transformers is that they've been designed to take the disguise factor so far that our cars actually could be Transformers, and unless we change our own oil, we'd never know :) 

To me, that's far more intriguing than just the outside of the car being the disguise.

Dude, whatever floats your boat, you don't have to apologize for not liking Bay :p 

So who would have been your preference for Transformers?