If Kruger wrote TF5

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Theoutcast87, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Galvatross

Galvatross Get shrekt every day! Veteran

Unpopular opinion? Kruger is the best of the writers so far. He understands what Transformers is. His stories and characters make sense contextually. He was willing to take creative risks and try new directions. I think his solo films are easily the best out of the movies in terms of character, story, and theme. I love the angle of the Space Race being a race to get to the Ark, and Sentinel Prime and Megatron's realization of how much he has fallen are great. AOE's threads are tied narratively and thematically. Lockdown is a great main villain with interesting motivations, the Autobots being a ragtag group of misfits and their leader losing faith in humanity are Shrektastic, and I really love the whole science fiction feel to the movie with Lockdown's ship, the dinosaurs' extinction, Transformium, and Galvatron's manipulation of the humans.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but I prefer his creativity and stories to those of the incredibly safe Orci and Kurtzman and wish the writers of TLK gave a little more continuity to the film.

• Like Like x 12
  2. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

why they would want to create a cinematic universe with so many of their iconic characters already dead is beyond me..

• Like Like x 4
  3. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about no.. I'd prefer new and good.

4. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    He was too busy ruining Ghost in the Shell.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    This.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:

YYYYEEEEEEAAAAHHHH!

Finally!!! Just a balm to the soul!
    I had a bad feeling when they announced the writers room, but I was hoping that Kruger and MB will be somewhere near, but, sadly, I was wrong. I really underestimated Kruger's influence and now I see it - most of genuine, visceral and slightly dark Transformers atmosphere came with him in ROTF and gone with him in TLK. TLK has bad dialogs and personality of TFs changed. Obviously, screenwriters didn't pay the same attention (like Kruger and Orci-Kurzman) to them at all. Plus, Kruger never did harsh continuity mistakes. He left some conceptions, yes, but it can be justified, because many of viewers don't follow them. Oh, my God, if I could learn what actually was in space after AOE who are Creators and what do they need? Who are Knights of Temenos, Dinobots and where are Megatron in all this story?:cry 

• Like Like x 3
  7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Agreed

• Like Like x 3
  8. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Curious and Creative Man

Yeah, initially I had hope that new writers would mean a fresher, new direction. That really didn't pay off.

Actually, at some point it appeared in the back of my head that ripping him away mid-arc was not a good idea. Like, what if I were ripped away from one of my projects before it's conclusion?

I don't think the movie would have been good, but I think that it would have felt like a Transformers movie as we had come to know them. There would be plenty of bad, but also some moments that really screamed "Transformers saga" instead of "pale imitation." It, perhaps, may even be possible that he could have produced a story that wouldn't be completely minced because of his experience with the films and his fellow filmmakers.

Holy shit, I miss Ehren Kruger. I may to sit down...

• Like Like x 2
  9. theswimmer06

theswimmer06 Well-Known Member

It was such a rush to judgement for me to cheer his exit to make room for the new writers, assuming they would continue his arc.... oh how dead fucking wrong I was....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    So we're completely gonna dismiss how he sharded on all the fan favorites in the most "middle finger" way as possible and how much he tried to screw over the lore with AOE after everything that's happened in the previous films???? If kruger wrote the script to TF5, we wouldn't have decepticons (the primary antagonists) anymore and he would've forced out more of that stupid "transformium" crap and human side story about that guy friend with cades daughter, not to mention the same results we've gotten four times before. There are far better writers out there who are actual writers that can make a script. kruger doesn't even know how to make a dialouge let alone a proper sentence in a script, he's a real phony at best.

11. RorMachine

RorMachine We Were Brothers Once!

News Credits:
    The writers from Ant-Man & Avengers Infinity War for Transformers 6 writers pls there the best.

12. Galvatross

Some people may see things this way, but others, myself included, do not. The opposite in my case.

First, I'm not sure what you mean by "sharting on fan favorites in the most middle finger way."

Second, to me AOE didn't screw up the lore whatsoever. For one, AOE logically follows DOTM and heavily references the Chicago battle. Additionally, the Creator origins don't contradict the Allspark. Transformium is simply the metal Cybertronians were made of; the Allspark is what gave them life. Granted I think TLK should have delved much more into this, but that's a story for another thread.

Third, AOE did have Decepticons, just not traditional Decepticons. You didn't need traditional Decepticon characters running around in the movie when that was not the story AOE was trying to tell. You have Lockdown and his crew trying to hunt Prime and the Autobots, and you have Megatron's head manipulating his KSI-facilitated comeback. You didn't need more alien antagonists. I'd argue the events of the film show the resilience and cunning and deception of the Decepticon leader. Galvatron's the very definition of Decepticon.

Fourth, I love Transformium, and you can read why here: Transformium is a GREAT concept.. At the very least there should have been some acknowledgment of Galvatron in TLK.

Anyway, there's room for a variety of opinions, so if you didn't like AOE that's fine, but I enjoyed the direction it took very much, and I enjoy its predecessors, too. What some fans may see as a bad decision may be a great decision for others, and vice versa.

• Like Like x 1
  13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Honestly, yeah, I think TF5 would've been better if Kruger was in charge. It might've been absurdly dark, convoluted, poorly explained and filled with awful dialogue, but at least it might've done a better job at following what AOE set up.

Was that really much of a factor? I mean, it followed up on the stuff AOE set out to do, it just did so in an insanely stupid way, with Knights and a Creator that had nothing in common with what was hinted towards in AOE... In fact, I'm pretty certain Kruger intended the Knights to be the Dinobots. That's how the movie framed it. Plus, AOE was trying to set up a new trilogy, just as much as it was trying to follow up on the previous one.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Caminus Prime

Instagram:
    He's ruined multiple popular characters that we were excited to see on the big screen and either pushed them in the far background or killed them off in a heartless fashion where he immediately forcefeeds us the humans, bumblebee, jokes etc. Afterwards.
    For ex: 1) Kill off Ironhide, try and make us care about Sam's parents for one last time.
    2) Kill off Ratchet, show us the status of some incompetent guy (that's suppose to be comic relief) from the white house talking to cemetery winds leader.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  15. Galvatross

The movies are their own thing though. A robot doesn't have to be a major player in the movies just because they are in other continuities. I like that the Kruger films have given Sentinel Prime, Lockdown, Crosshairs, and a few other less well known robots prominent roles, and that such characters are more prominent than more used Transformers.

And at least both of those deaths are extremely important scenes, and Ratchet's death has a profound effect on Prime and the story of the movie. That's better than the two of them lingering and doing nothing.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Caminus Prime

Instagram:
    Still, if that was the case then they should've killed off bumblebee too so optimus could mourn all four of his old team but still settle inwith a whole new one because it's not a "transformers" series if you're so willing to shoehorn one character over many others the whole 5+ movies.

17. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

People threw Kruger under the base to defend Bay as not being responsible for anything about his movies, when he wrote the best script the series ever had? DotM is an actually solid movie, and AoE was designed to relaunch the franchise; he clearly got noted to death on that one.

18. Galvatross

Well to be fair to the films and indeed all Transformers fiction, what characters and even factions that appear and don't appear are not what determine whether something is Transformers or not. G1 is Transformers. So are Animated, Beast Wars, IDW, the Bay films, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Caminus Prime

Instagram:
    Either way, the critics would still bash the 5th film with or without him because paramount doesn't listen to anybodys criticism but themselves.

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I can't disagree here.

Five movies in and the movies continue to struggle connecting the past films.

Every movies opening scene has shown some potential to be a good film, both visually and narratively. The first film was Optimus sharing the story about the cube.
    In TF2, the opening scene with the fallen, TF3's battle on cybertron, the prehistoric extinction on the dinosaurs and possibly all organic life by the creators, and finally the back story of the knights in TLK.

They all were done so well in my opinion, but once those scenes are over the story inevitably begins to fall apart like Cybertron.

Ehren Kruger isn't perfect by any means but I don't think the continuity errors would be as big.

• Like Like x 1