If it wasn't for the art style and toy designs...

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, May 14, 2008.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I don't believe that there would be any haters against animated, save for a few people that hate everything no matter what.

The writing is every bit as good as Beast Wars, there is more character development that I have seen in years, and above all the stories are entertaining and engaging.

In short, I think that if it was drawn in a more realistic style, or was even CG (but still in a more realistic or traditional style) there would be very, very few who would dislike it.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    True. I wouldnt say Im a hater, but I still cant fully embrace it because of the animation. Thats not to say I havent given it a chance, becuase I have. Ive been watching every episode on my DVR and when the season is over, Ill decide whether or not to like it. So far Im 75/25 for not liking it and its becuase of the animation. the toy designs are awesome, the writing is very well done and I commend them for reaching out to the G1 people in every episode, but the drawing style along with change in frame quality from one episode to the other just makes me hold back.

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I think the animation is fresh and very needed for this brand and franchise. It was becoming incredibly stale and boring. Spice it up, stir the pot, see what happens.

We had 9 seasons of CGI (Beast Wars 1, 2, 3, Beast Machines 1, 2, Energon 1, 2, Cybertron 1, 2). We had two seasons of poor animation (Armada 1, 2) and one season of questionable animation (Robots in Disguise).

I haven't enjoyed a season of Transformers since Armada (and that was LATE in the series). I fail to understand the hate behind making a kids' toyline and cartoon look and feel more like a kids' toyline and cartoon. I mean, that's what we're collecting, isn't it?

4. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

I've never understood the problem with cartoon's looking cartoony. Personally, as long as the characters have two legs, two arms, and a head that looks human(oid) I don't mind. You'd have to be trying really hard to put me off a show because of it's artstyle.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    True statement.
    The writing is spot on.
    And the thing about the animation style is -it's a style.

One thing I would like to see, though is higher quality in the animation process.
    I am not saying that Animated is poorly... er... animated, but is not animated as well shows like The Batman, Spectacular Spider-man, or even the Teen Titans which many people claim it apes its look from.

Some sequences look very good, but some are kind of framey.
    I have never seen anything that I thought looked bad, and if this show came out in the early 90s I would think that animation was way ahead of its time.
    It's just that other shows have kind of raised the bar.

6. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the "cartoony" look of Animated actually enhances the storytelling possibilities. The simplified look allows for both more totally broad comedy (whereas the slapstick in BW was always jarring to me) and allows a higher level of action that perhaps wouldn't pass standards & practices if it was rendered in a more "realistic" style.

TFA can go from "serious" (Thrill of the Hunt) to "wacky" (Garbage In, Garbage Out), and it's the look of the show that ties it all together.

If it looked different, it wouldn't and couldn't be the same show...

7. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    If it was't for the art style I wouldn't like animated as much as I do.
    The way the cartoon models and toys just ooze personality is something I really like.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    It's funny because the art style is about the only thing I've warmed up to.

I admit I don't watch the show regularly but from all the episodes I've seen it seems pretty shallow in terms of story and characters and does not come anywhere close to the depth BW/BM had. I don't know if I just happen to catch all the wrong episodes or what but I've been very unimpressed with what I've seen and have not seen the great story and characters that everyone seems to talk about. Seems every time I try and give it another shot I wind up more bored with it then the last time I tuned in.

But ya with me it's not the art or the style it's the story and characters all the way that have prevented me from enjoying this show.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Personally, it was a bit jarring when I first saw it, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

I'm just drawing from what I see online and talking to my coworkers - the common theme seems to be they don't like what it looks like.

I still am not a big fan of the toys, but I understand the reasons for going the direction they did with it.

10. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT

But the question that should be asked is, would the kids (not the 20-30 something year old adults) like it if it was a more "realistic" style? If you look at the currently popular cartoons out there they all have "cartoony" styles to them (Simpsons, Spongebob, South Park, the new Superman, Spiderman, etc). But kids aside, I think that yes, you may get more adults to like the show if the style is more "realistic", but you may also lose some adult fans as some like the "cartoony" style. You win some, you lose some. Can't please everyone.

11. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Frankly animation has never been too much of a deterant in this series, it did take a while to get used to yes, but as a whole the franchise just works better as such. Case in point is the accuracy of the toys with their on screen counter parts. this is one of the few series where it has translated almost flawlessly into plastic. I think I would rather have more cartoon accurate toys than realism cuz we really do have to remember their target audience is kids and we just appreciate this series on a completely different level than they do.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And in addition to this, my 3 year old can watch this show and enjoy it for completely different reasons. He loves the color and the way the characters look, and he always pays attention when Sari talks and I love the story and dialogue and the G1 references. They are making a show that works with everyone.

13. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have to agree with Dark_Convoy. I am enjoying the show greatly, but the art style is not for me. Since the figures are so show accurate, I won't be collecting them. I don't like the thin waists, spindly limbs, and exaggerated faces. I prefer the more 'traditional' style used in Classics and Cybertron, and will only collect figures in that style until movie 2.

14. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    As Kickback mentioned, it's a welcome change. I agree I was skeptical of the initial designs, but once I saw them in action it made sense (kinda like the movie). But, most of all I'm glad that the storyline & characters have been pretty solid so far and are back stateside. Plus, the more appealing the show, the more likely the cartoon propa...umm marketing will help to increase figure sales.

I say, just give it some time for the art style to change to a more traditional style. In the long run though, in order for the franchise to live, it has to keep on adapting to current trends.

15. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

people who hate animated need a labotamy

16. side wave

side wave Well-Known Member

AMEN to that

17. side wave

side wave Well-Known Member

i love the animation style it is awsome and they are cool to draw e.g
    and i love the toy designs not only because of the show accuracy but because there is no universal gimmick (a la armada and cybertron which is why i hate them).
    for the past few years i have noticed people who are always complaining about new tf franchises art style and gimmicks so i have a message yous

STOP COMPLAING ABOUT NEW TF DESIGNS BECAUSE YOU SHOULD BE GLAD THAT TRANSFORMERS HAS BEEN SROUND FOR NEARLY 25 YEARS SO GET USED TO NEW THINGS. BECAUSE YOU ARE LIKE THE RELIGOUS PEOPLE BACK IN MEDIEVAL TIMES

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'm collecting cool robots that turn into vehicles, just like I have for the past 25 years. They never before needed to rely on "Cartoony" toys to be a top selling product so they don't need to rely on it now.

If it looked different, it would still be the same show, it's just that those "serious" episodes would look more serious.

There are plenty of popular shows(Avatar, Ben 10) that disprove the theory that you need an over exaggerate, super deformed style to do the things that Animated does. And in the end this style wasn't chosen to enhance story telling possibilities, it was chosen because this is what the artists who were chosen to draw this show excel at.

The Transformers Cybertron toys were pretty damn near show accurate as well and they were super serious CGI designs. Working together, animators and toy makers can make any design come to life accuratley in toy form.

We can complain all we want thank you, it's our right to do so. And as long as our opinions are voiced in a polite, courteous manner, it does not hurt anyone.

I'm not going to denounce anyone who does enjoy this art style, I'm just going to say that this style is a major turn off for me. Where as I was a near mold completist with the movie line, and will probably do the same with Universe, I can barely think of a half dozen animated toys I really want to get. And this is not because I don't like the show itself, infact I find it highly entertaining and very well written, it's just because I don't like the way they look. For those who enjoy these toys then more power to them, and I'm happy they are satisfied in these designs, as the toys themselves are nice. But I just can not get past that common asthetic enough to really get into collecting these guys past a few choice figures.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah the dude above me that I don't know the name is right about the style, the style is like that just because Derrick Wyatt draws like THAT get it? It's just the way he draws!

20. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Zie-you're right! cybertron was pretty accurate I guess I was thinking more along the lines of some Beast Wars, and some unspeakable G1 flops here and there.