Customs: If i'm gonna start, i'm gonna start big

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by transmetal2dinobot, Sep 6, 2009.

1. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    my first real foray into the radicons section as a creator rather than a critic (though how one would call loving everying criticism is beyond me) is going to be rather epic, but here we go.
    last night at my 21st, one of my best friends had an optimus prime costume, standing about 9ft high. the goal is for me to make a megatron costume that we may do battle. now as far as i've seen, there are no instructions anywhere online to meet my requirements, so this will be a scratch build, expensive and time consuming, but i've managed to divide it into workable sections based off a masterpiece megatron a friend has lent to me

1. the helmet
    2. the fusion cannon
    3. the torso/crotchplate
    4. the arms
    5. the legs
    6. the kibble

basing it off the MP, it should with luck be fully transformable

will it be ready in time for halloween? doubtful, balancing a degree and a full time job, but possible.
    i figured general discussion is the place for this thread for now, and i'll progressively post in the customs thread as i make progress.
    this is not the first costume i've ever made, but it's by far the most ambitious.
    any advice would be helpful along the way too if you should wish to give it

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Pretty ambitious project for a first-timer (or most anyone for that matter). Sounds very cool and I can't wait to see something on it. What do you plan to use on this? I know foamboard can come in handy and it's lightweight (others here have done helmets and that sort of thing from it). Good luck on this, man--definitely looking forward to the "fully transformable" part. :) 

3. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    by fully transformable it'll have either some significant cheating going on or partsforming. haven't quite worked out what would be better for it. i'm flexible, but not THAT flexible. it'd probably be easier basing it off a henkei/classics megs transformation. hmmm.

EDIT: plan is to use a combination of foamboard to make out the basic shape then cover it with thin plywood, some malleable plastics etc for the majority of the costume. the helmet and hands are going to be the likely easiest parts next to the fusion cannon

4. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    While I'm sure there are a few people here who might be able to help you in your quest to construct your Megatron costume, I think you might get some better help (at least a better pool of experienced ones) over at Transcostumers.com!

Good luck, and don't forget to keep us updated on your progress!