IF IDW launched this would you be interested?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by MegaDarth, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

IDW is going down the wrong path in my mind. Its still awesome but Revolution is horrible and lost light is nothing like mtmte. They need to fix their own story line first before they try at adding onto old ones again. Also, anyone think Unicron is gonna be any good? I am curious as to what IDW will do with him.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    They would show up eventually as they are indeed part of the Pretender and Action masters line up.
    But IF a thing like this would be done i would wish strongly for the focus to be on the new characters.
    I always loved those designs and it's depressing how little love those characters get from writers and fans.
    So i'd welcome something like this.
    But only if the producers and writers focus on making the new characters cool, funny and endearing and get them as much characterisation as possible so they get a second chance to get a place in the heart of the fans.
    What i would hate is for the producers to take the lazy approach and just bring the 84 characters back and make everything about them.
    I mean we've had Dreamwave, IDW and now Cyberverse for people who want that, don't be selfish and give those other characters a chance to star is what i think.

3. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No, I would've said that no matter who responded to my suggestion of doing one-shot stories in the vein of the original cartoon with using those one-shots for fanwank and "fixing" the original.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fair enough, I always liked the sprinkling of original characters amongst the new in the Marvel comics and Sunbow series, I still wouldn't want them to indulge in the 84 characters. I suppose I don't see the need for a cast divide between known and the unknown, even though the reality I ignore in saying stuff like that is Countdown would have a hard time getting the personality I want for him or for Longtooth to get some stuff to do in ReGeneration One when people would rather know what the 84s are doing or to see reruns of Galvatron V Magnus and Scorponok V Grimlock.

Maybe if people would stop looking at them as 'legacy' characters I'd get what I want :p 

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This. Would feel inauthentic and fake.

This reminds me of the conversation that comes up once in a while asking if people would like DC to go back to their original continuity. Do I like Pre-Crisis continuity more than anything since? Yes. Would I like to see what modern writers would do to those beloved characters?

NO.

Holy %$$@, no. Please don't let modern writers anywhere near those characters.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

I would love to see more Season 4 characters used in Transformers fiction, especially Punch-Counterpunch. The Doublespy concept has so many potential stories it could generate I feel. Plus I could always do with more Sixshot.

As for a continuation of Rebirth? No chance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    That's why if this could be a thing i would want the writers to stay true to the original formulae of the sunbow show.
    To sell toys new characters have to be put in the spotlight while older ones are pushed to the sidelines or dissapear.
    But if there would be 84 characters in there the majority of older fans would only be interested in them.
    The only way the newer characters would get any personality or development is if Hasbro and the writers get that hardcore gut they had when they made the 86 movie again and boldly made the new characters the focus of a show or comic with none of the popular characters in sight or just at the sidelines.
    There would be whining, but not too many would actually boycot a cartoon that did that, and if well written kids would love it as much as anything with those legacy characters.

• Like Like x 2
  8. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Soleron

Ebay:
    no....G1 was 30 years ago...leave it 30 years ago. we don't need a continuation or a revisit since it won't be the same. today's standards and storytelling wouldn't capture the same....well magic is a loose term but still it wouldn't be what you want. it would be too modern no matter how much you try. so no

G1 had it's day and it's best remembered in nostalgia.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Super-down for Animated Season 4 as a comic. Less down for Beast Machines... it was a cool series but the continuity confusion after Beast Wars put me off.

10. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Considering how badly they handled continuing Marvel G1, I want IDW to stay as far away from Sunbow G1 as humanly possible.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Beast Machines good?!? :eek: 
    1320529223886.jpg

And Animated is too good a series to let IDW butcher it. Look at the mess they made of Regeneration One, and imagine that "quality" applied to Animated. No thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yes, if it looks like the cartoon :) 

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mr P

Mr P Member

Regeneration 1 wasn't that bad, it was even quite good when it hit its stride.

14. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

Im looking into getting that to finish off my collection of comics fo rthe most part, is it worth it?

15. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Only if you like rushed endings.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KFGatri

Ebay:
    When did it hit its stride? It has Furman's usual pacing issues - slow buildup for the majority of the story, and then a rushed wrap-up. G1#80 he had no choice, but Time Wars was the same way, and here as well, with no excuse. He knew exactly how many issues he had to work with, yet still messed up the pacing. Maybe if he hadn't tried to shoehorn Jhiaxus and the G2 Cybertronians in ... in what 2 issues at the end? Usually his plot and characterization makes up for pacing issues, but in this case they just weren't strong enough to compensate.

GeG1 never found its stride - it just stumbled from one low point to another. I like Furman, both his work and as a person (met him at OTFCC 2004) but this was far far away from his best work.

17. Mr P

Mr P Member

It's not perfect but it's good, as I said it takes time to find its stride but once it does I really enjoyed it.

Some people are very critical of it for a number of reasons (preference for G2, weird dislike of Furman, preference for the cartoon), but ultimately it's about individual personal preference. While I haven't read a lot of the IDW stuff, some of what I have read that is supposed to the pinicle of excellence I found to be lacking in comparison.

The Marvel era was my era and it was nice to have a decent attempt at rounding it off, just a shame that it sort of ignores the UK stuff - but then I guess you can't have everything.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr P

Mr P Member

Horses for courses. While not perfect, I enjoyed it, and I felt it hit its stride after the first arc and I was glad it was released.

19. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Fair assessment. I personally normally like Furman's work, just not this particular project. But then I find pretty much any of IDW's Transformers output unreadable; I was hoping this would be the exception.

But I also have grown to hate any attempt at continuing or rebooting G1 fiction - it was a product of the 80s, and the attempt to modernize it or make it more serious generally drops what I find so entertaining about the original. Maybe if this had come out before G2, Dreamwave and the rest of IDW's TF series I'd feel differently, but they all just burned me out on G1 continuations/remakes. I honestly prefer the clean reboots the regular franchise gets every few years over the G1 rehashes.

I could never figure out if UK G1 was part of ReG1's backstory - it had the Wreckers and Ultra Magnus, but little if anything else was referenced. And a few of the Wreckers featured should have been dead.

20. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

I have basically all of idw and i've seen a lot of Furman's work. If he is as good as he is in idw then i wont have anything to worry about.

Either way i think i will get it just to expand my collection. I didn't start to get into transformers until about 4 years ago but now i want it all(also if i can sit through energon and victory then i can sit through anything)