IF IDW launched this would you be interested?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by MegaDarth, Sep 22, 2017.

1. MegaDarth

MegaDarth Active Member

Would any of you be interested in IDW launching a comic series that would continue the S4 storylines of the original G1 cartoon?

Just curious, would have thought they'd have done so by now!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Only if it didn't try to go all "deep lore" with overarching storylines. I think a bunch of silly one-shots about the 86-88 cast in the original cartoon vein could be a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 7
  3. MegaDarth

MegaDarth Active Member

Yeah, same as i think. A lot simpler and lighter in tone. Like the toon was.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

No.

As much as I love the original cartoon this kind of continuation would feel as unauthentic and fake as RG1 or various ideas about continuation of the Animated.

Also, wrong medium.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    If it was written by people who wrote for the cartoon.
    And they would have to write it as if it was 1988, that means no bringing back 1984 characters and write the stories in the spirit and purpose of the original cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

They don't really need to, the G1 comics did a far better job creating the Headmasters than the show and it kept going for another 4 years.

[I'd probably just end up wanting to re-read that and Maximum Dinobots anyways...]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see season 4 and IDW continuation, but no matter how hard I look it doesn't say Animated...

But I'd give this a chance, probably. I'd want it to be faithful and other than where it makes sense wouldn't want a reliance on legacy characters. Plug those decades-old Thing-Masters damn it!

Makes sense is either characters who were already still around (84-5 Con cameos, Goldbug, Jazz(?), Dinobots, Perceptor, Optimus) and/or characters the toyline brought back (Optimus again, Jazz again, some of the Dinobots again, Wheeljack).

At the same time though I can't say I'd want is as much as ReGeneration One and I'm only glad for about half that series :( .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Jazz? Wheeljack?
    Last i watched my 87-88 catalogue it featured Chromedome, Galvatron, Triggerhappy, Sureshot and Fastlane.
    I don't know what the hell "legacy characters" are (Sounds like the latest in a series of snobbish terms to indicate the 84 guys) but what would make sense is for a comic depicting a continuation of the Sunbow cartoon to put the Headmasters, Targetmasters and other 87 characters in the spotlight , not to be another 84 rehasch.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MegaDarth

MegaDarth Active Member

This is what i meant when I started the thread. Following OP, Goldbug, Skorponok, Galvatron (&their little battle of wills) amongst other survivors. WJ, Ironhide, Prowl etc are unfortunately never to be seen again.
    Basically see what happens with the headmasters, targetmasters, clones etc

• Like Like x 1
  10. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Not particularly interested.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr P

Mr P Member

I don't rate the cartoon much at all, so no I'd give it a miss.

12. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Alternatively, I'd be down for stories with the 84-85 cast if they were presented as in the same timeframe as the originals - a "lost episodes of the G1 cartoon" kind of thing.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Yes to "lost episodes", kinda like focusing on off-screen events or connecting the events from one episode to another episode - think how Furman used to write the Marvel UK comic around the events of the U.S. comic. Also, I would want such a comic to also fix blatant errors that were in the original show. But also feature the 1986 and 1987 cast as well and there whereabouts in the present day 80s era.

But there were certain aspects of the original cartoon that are too ridiculous and goofy by today's standards that such things shouldn't return and if they did, it would come across as even more ridiculous and goofy than such episodes were in the 80s. To clarify; remember how Turtles Forever featured different sets of turtles and the 80s turtles were portrayed as immature incompetent goofballs that cried tears when they got into a situation too serious for them; I don't want that happening with Transformers. A modern day writer attempting to emulate the ridiculous and goofy episodes would just take the tone in an even more ridiculous and goofy extreme than was present in the original cartoon.

Possibly no to a continuation of post-Rebirth. And definitely no to a comic set thirty years after the end of Rebirth. Possibly the in-continuity year of 2017 at the latest, or whenever the real world year is that the comic is written.

14. Mugen Roid

Mugen Roid Chaotic smirker

YouTube:
    I don't see the point of continuation by IDW, if you want more adventures from the G1 cartoon continuity there already is plenty of fiction between Japanese materiel and the wings universe. I know these are just universes with similar events that eventually diverge or have cosmetic differences in design, but still are somewhat grounded in the events of the series. Hell the legends pack-in manga now has characters that are from the American cartoon continuity if you're really interested.

15. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Welp, didn't take long for my idea to be ruined.

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    You would have said that however I responded to your post.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Nope.
    Now if idw wanted to continue a good series like beast machines or animated, I'd be down for that

18. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well do the Lost Years season of the G1 Cartoon first than deal with the Seasons 4-7 of the G1 Cartoon than fellow by the G2/Machine Wars spin-off series.

19. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suppose this is a fault on my part but you are putting more thought into the choice of wording with 'legacy' than I am. Don't see how its snobbish but whatever.

Anyway, I do actually want the 87 onward catalogue +Optimus and Goldbug because that seems to be what Sunbow would have done. Maybe I just misremembered but I thought Jazz was part of the surviving 84 characters that showed up in Season 3. Anyway, Wheeljack is just as much as the Action Master line up as Axor and... some other guys and they would show up eventually. Alongside them, Powermaster Prime and Pretender Classics authenticity to the original toyline includes rehashes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd rather see Season 2.5 that takes place from the end of Season 2 to the movie. Plenty of stuff to cover. Decepticons conquering Cybertron & where Hot Rod and crew came from. Plus, no one is dead yet so they could feature all the characters.

• Like Like x 1