Fan Art: If I were to make a tutorial video...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Blitz., Jan 11, 2011.

1. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As the title says if I were to make a tutorial video what format would you like it in?

one idea is to simply film myself drawing and narrate over telling viewers what I'm doing and what I'm thinking at the time if you will it would be like watching a directors commentary on a Hollywood film.

2nd idea is a much more broken down take with small videos each with their own focus so one episode on transformations, one on poses, one on fembots and so on. Hopfully at the end not only people will know how to draw like me but know why I make the choices I make to begin with.

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

The second one. I would be interested in watching the Fembot one, for instance, as i'm sure i can take the techniques in there and apply them in 3D design to get much more lithe, sleek body proportions.

Otherwise, if you did the first option, i'd have to sit through the whole thing to get to the part i wanna watch.

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well that's the upside to the 2nd idea since I'd be drawing a few different designs in a themed segment and then I could just start fresh with the next video

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Second one. Far better to take things step-by-step with a smaller focus.

Plus, even as an artist myself I don't think I could stand to watch through a "hey, watch me draw" video.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Everything Kusanagi just said. :) 

Actually, I do occasionally enjoy watching the "watch me draw" videos. But as far as using it as a tutorial, I think version 2 would be far more useful to more people.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    While I enjoy watching the type of videos you mentioned as your first idea, I believe your second idea is the much better choice. It would help more as a teaching video and have valuable input from you on each point, instead of just watching you sketch it out and talk about it.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing it, man.

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well I got a camera that can pull off 480p so I've got the means its just hooking up a lighting rig and finding my mini tripod.... oh and writing a script.

now for the first subject I'm probably going to go with fembots as its going to be a popular subject or maybe go with something more creative like generating ideas for your own designs

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Whatever you end up creating, I'll gladly resource it with the other Illustration Tutorials :) 

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A little update the first one is most likely going to be about body shapes both male and female as I found while writing about fembots that I was talking about other common body shapes so much that I really needed to establish that before I could really move onto the more fembot specific stuff but regardless once my Protecobot pic is all inked I should be good to make a test video