If I were to get only one G1 toy...what should it be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Anguirus, Oct 7, 2010.

?

Which G1 figure/combiner do you consider essential?

1. Powermaster Optimus Prime

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Shockwave

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Megatron

15 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Blaster + tapes

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Predaking

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Sky Lynx

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Devastator

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  8. Abominus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Slag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Snarl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Sixshot

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  12. Blitzwing

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  13. Other (describe below)

18 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I'm mostly a Classics-style and movie-style collector. I had a bunch of G2 figures as a youth, mostly the repainted G1s, and I never liked their relative lack of articulation. The only current G1 figures in my collection are the tapes from Encore 19, since I love them as characters and Hasbro doesn't generally redo tapes.

However, there is a part of me that is fascinated by the idea of in the 1980s owning THE Ravage, or THE Wheeljack, back when the original Transformers craze was at its height and virtually every character was a toy on the shelves.

So if I were going to hypothetically class up my collection with a little G1 (or G2), what ONE figure do you think it should be?

I'm expecting a very diverse range of responses, and that's the idea! I would love to hear why you think your particular choice is the best of all G1 figures. Try not to be negative about other peoples' choices, but positive about yours. And I have no current plans to buy anything, before I get a bunch of solicitations. ;)  I was inspired by the recent "Top 3 Favorite Figures" thread, so feel free to wax poetic. :) 

EDIT: I had the G2 versions of G1 OP and G1 Grimlock as a kid, and now I have MPs of both characters...so they aren't on my list so much. Also, my girlfriend has Soundwave so neither is he.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Sixshot. No explanation needed.

3. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    g1 jetfire for me, next options would be g1 prime or g1 grimlock.

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'd be unoriginal and go with Prime. Or at least Megatron. Maybe Starscream or Soundwave. But definitely not Perceptor.

5. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 Optimus Prime!!!!!

6. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

if you were to get one then it's gotta be prime. u gotta get the icon, the one even non tf's fan know. another option would be soundwave since u already have some of the tapes. get soundwave and the rest of his minions and you got a cool little display going.

7. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Sixshot. He's the pinnacle of G1 engineering. His only flaw is his lack of articulation.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I voted Other. If you're going to only get 1 G1 figure, get your favorite character.

Beats leaving it up to a poll and getting someone else's favorite character.

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, but if I only could own ONE G1 toy... I'd probably stick with either Prime or Megatron. Both of them are fantastic and worth the purchase....

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But my favorite character is Starscream and I don't give a rip about having the original. I have enough versions of him!

I'm honestly ignorant of a lot of G1 toys, I haven't held or messed with very many. All the characters I've listed on the poll are interesting characters to me and I at least have some reason to believe the toys look cool.

I'm more interested in your favorites! What has time judged to be absolutely classic?

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    out of the list predaking, personally, all the cassettes

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I have plenty versions of G1 Starscream myself, and I wouldn't ever consider my shelf whole until I had Encore Starscream. And even with one, I'd eventually like to buy a whole G1 Starscream.

But that's me. MP, Revoltech, RM, MegaSCF, HoC, 4x Universe Starscreams, even the BW2nd Starscrem. Have to have the figure where they all originated from.
    True. G1 '84 Prime is a must. I need to swap out my 25th Anni. version for the Encore.

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just going off the figures on your list, and your comments about preferring articulation, I'd pick Shockwave. He's a central character in the mythos, his toy had good articulation, and as a non-Takara, non-Hasbro mold, he's not likely to get the reissue treatment, like, ever.

As for the others...

Powermaster Optimus is a great toy but he's a brick in robot mode;

Megatron is another great toy but kind of silly-looking in robot mode;

Blaster would be cool especially if you have the tapes but he just doesn't have the same appeal as Shockwave;

Predaking... yeah, I just can't say anything bad about Predaking;

Sky Lynx is... just not the way I'd go;

Devastator is nice, I'd even call him essential, but again, a virtual brick in robot mode and not particularly stable either (without the CrazyDevy pieces, anyway);

Abominus might be the most articulated of the Scramble City combiners, so if you want one I think he's the one to go for, but he's hardly an "essential" character;

Slag and Snarl are nice, if you like Dinobots you can't go wrong there;

Sixshot I think is a good number two pick if you can't get Shockwave;

and Blitzwing, well, another typical G1 figure that has virtually no articulation but probably gets remembered because of the character's popularity.

So there you go.

14. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Powermaster Optimus Prime. The Transformations alone deal a lot of play value, mainly that the trailer has some cool fold away panels and ramps. The molded detail and sticker detail push the armored look to a degree. The base mode works great with micromasters and the powered up mode Just looks like a Assault Mecha.

15. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Soundwave + the cassettes.

He's perfect.

16. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Without seeing your list in the poll, as soon as I read the thread topic, Optimus Prime popped into my head immediately. After seeing the poll, Devastator is a close second, but Soundwave and cassettes are also pretty darn good too. That said, I would still say Optimus for many reasons. For one, it is arguably THE most iconic of the iconic figures. Second, the toy is simply great for its time....one of my favorites. Great playability, especially with the trailor, Roller, etc. I loved this toy as a kid. The transformation is simple and awesome and although the parts bother many people, I am ok with all of them. As a truck with a trailor, it is a great toy in itself.

17. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Predaking all the way to a bank roll that is cause that is 1 holy grail figure I really want soooooooooo bad that I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on.

18. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

takara(japanese) fortress maximus w/ the swords etc...ever since i heard about this as a kid i felt the us version to be inferior...thus i dont hold mine in the same reguard as a G1 takara version...

19. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

Star Saber.

20. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    optimus