If I had the choice between those Masterpieces, which one is recommended?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SimonMK, May 5, 2009.

1. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Next Friday, my brother and I will go to a toy shop that get few of Takara's toys. And my brother said he will buy me 1 toy of any price there.

So basically, I get 1 for free. I have no interest in the G1 re-issues. So I have the choice of:

Optimus Prime with trailer (330$)
    Ultra Magnus (165$)
    Skywarp (150$)
    Thundercracker (165$)
    Megatron (180$)
    Grimlock (200$)

I am not a big fan of very complex tranformation, so I guess Megatron is not for me.

There was also TFA Sunstorm and Purple Shockwave I wanted (each are 45$) and TFU Overkill (35$) but I guess I should pick the high priced toy if its free?

2. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

Without a shred of doubt, you should get MP-08 Grimlock.

Do it.

3. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Grimlock is awesome so is prime but i must say at least for the seekers those prices are a bit high. I personally love the seekers and would highly recommend them.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    MP Prime with the Trailer/MP-04 is extremely difficult to get for a decent price anymore and is the definitive Masterpiece figure. If you do not have him, you need to get him.

5. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime is an excellent thing. Seeing as Ultra Magnus is the same mold, he must be pretty awesome too. I agree with above poster in that the Seekers are brilliant. My MP Starscream was my first Masterpiece. The pictures of Grimlock rock. Get him. I will be jealous, but get him!

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Assuming you don't already have Prime, get Prime and Grimlock. As I do have Prime, I'd get Grimlock and... hmm. Skywarp or Thundercracker? Skywarp has the nicer colours, but Thundercracker has that slight underdog quality.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Go for Grimmy.

8. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

I wish i had a bro who would splurge mass quantities of cash on me. Damn. Optimus looks badass and is hard to get, so i'd prolly get him first if i didn't have to worry about $. I do have a soft spot for jets though, so SS is high up there. It'd be OP, Grimmy, SS. And since i'm diggin purple a lot more lately, Skywarp would be #4, then TC, and last Megs.

9. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Personally I've had 4 Primes and I hated them. The chest panels never line up, one's always higher then the other, and 2 of them had one foot snap completely off, and no amount of epoxy or Krazy-Glue would get them to stay on.

I don't have Grimlock, but he does indeed look awesome.

I do have Starscream and love him, he's one of my top 5 favorites, and his alt mode is beautiful and ALOT bigger then I thought it would be.

So imo I'd say get the Skywarp or Thundercracker one. Me I'd go for Skywarp, "Cuz he's Purdy!"

10. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

get either mp-prime or mp-grimlock.

11. DinoTarant

DinoTarant Well-Known Member

Grim, or Starscream

12. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Prime is the best MP followed by Grimlock. If you get Prime first, the other MP's will seem junky. Might be better to start with Grimlock, then the differences within the line wont seem as drastic.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    anyone but megatron....MP-05 is the biggest waste of a $100 you'll ever spent..he's complex,easy to brake and fragile...the accesories are the only good thing from MP-05

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Grimlock without hesitation.

15. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

AT the prices you listed the only one that is not overpriced is the PRIME all the others are way too overpriced, especially the jets. Even if your not paying for it it isn't worth spending $200 on a MP seeker. You have to go with Prime plus he comes with a trailer. A very close second is Grimlock, just slightly overpriced at $200

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    prime, with trailer, and keep an eye on the buy sell trade lists, you can get a screamer for $50 easy

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Those prices (other than Prime, as stated) are way more than they should be. Megs you can get for less than $100 (and if you can, I do recommend him). Grimmy shouldn't be too much more (what like $150?). The seekers I'd say vary from ~$50-70.

Go for Prime, that's a pretty good deal on him.

18. Gen. Hospital

Gen. Hospital Well-Known Member

Get Grimlock.

Easily the best Masterpiece.

19. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have all the Masterpieces and Prime is my favorite. Best transformer ever made. Grimlock is a nice piece but not for $200.

20. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

I've tried each of the Masterpiece molds. The only two that actually feel like impressive, quality toys to me are Optimus and Grimlock. But of those two, Grimlock wins, easily. Very easily.

Optimus is big and heavy, looks great on a shelf, is fun to transform, and...Well it's Prime, and that alone counts for quite a bit. But it's just too big and clunky to actually be fun to play with and pose. Mostly I just took mine out once in a while, stood it on my desk, looked at it and thought, "Gee, that's a really awesome toy." Then I put it away again. There just wasn't much desire to do anything with it. Sold it.

But Grimlock, wow. Fun. No-no, if you haven't held one, you don't understand. FUN. F-U-N. Fun to hold, fun to transform, capable of no end of awesome poses in both modes, solid feeling, clicky jointed, greatest transforming toy in a decade, bash it against your table for the hell of it and not worry about its durability, FUN.

Get Grimlock. Seriously. It's the only way to guarantee you won't be disappointed.