If G2 had had a different name, would we still consider G1 as a singular entity?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    So, the original Transformers toyline was simply named "Transformers" until it was cancelled in the USA in 1990 (and continued under that name in Europe and Japan for a few more years).

Then comes "Transforners: Generation 2", and introduces us to line sub-titles. Next come Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RID, Armada and all that other stuff.

Because Generation 2 was named "Generation 2", we now retroactively consider everything that came before that as "Generation 1".

Now, if Hasbro had named G2 something else, such as "Transformers: Combat Heroes" or "Transformers: Ultraforce", how would we be looking at G1 today?

Sure we wouldn't call it "Generation 1" because there's no "Generation 2". But would we still consider it as one singular toyline/franchise that lasted from 1984 to 1990/1993, or would we view it as a sequence of several revamps?

There's already scattered factions in this fandom who only consider the pre-1986 movie toys to be the "true" G1, or only the "cartoon" era toys up until "Rebirth".

Would we think of the 1980s/early 1990s line as "Transformers Original Series", "Transformers Headmasters Series", "Transformers: Pretenders", "Transformers: Micromasters" and "Transformers: Action Masters"? The 1989-1990 toys were pretty consistently divided into Pretenders, Micromasters and Action Masters, after all, with no new toys that didn't fit into one of the gimmick-based sub-lines.

2. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I'm happy referring to it as the Primax continuity family - akin to the Universal Century grouping you see in the Gundam multiverse.

It's a retcon, yes, but so be it.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I see it as relatively easy to separate out the Japanese-exclusive lines/series, such as Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, and so on. They are part of the G1 'continuity family', but have their own unique storylines, characters, and sub-titles, similar to how "Cybertron" is its own entity within the 'A-E-C trilogy' family.

Just speculation, nothing authoritative though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Hmmm, thats a very interesting question.

5. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

i think it would still be called generation 1 since it was the first generation of transformers, technically all those other series like beast wars and all that should be considered generation 5, 6, 7...we just call them by thier names becuase its easier to remember, and since they are designed for kids it makes sense as to why hasbro went that route rathe than sticking with numbers

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    yes

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe we'd call it something else, like Original Series, or Classic, or something like that, but I think we'd still consider the continuity to include the same shows and such.

A rose by any other name, and all that.