if G1 never happened would TFS be what it is today?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backstop, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Just as the header says, Do you think any series post G1 would have made TFS as big as they are now?

2. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

No, especially since G1 had the movie. The movie helped push them into cult classic status.

I need to watch the movie again. :popcorn 

3. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Nope, I think it was Marvel giving them names and characters that helped make them really cool.

Then the 86 murdering our hero in front of our young, shaking, watery eyes pretty much sealed it into pop culture.

I look at all my childhood heros, and can't think of one that was killed right in front of me. Things like that tend to make a lasting impression.

Not to mention the awesome voice acting/work on the original show. :D  Peter Cullen FTW

4. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    If G1 had never existed? My childhood would have been just a little bit sadder, my hobbies of today reduced to zero practically. Diaclone would have made a comeback, Robotech could have gotten more Saturday morning airtime, and Michael Bay would have ushered in the first live action Gobots film in '07, and I probably would have been more okay with that.

5. Backstop

News Credits:
    Hmmmmmm live action Gobots movie, Could that Vin Disel guy play Leader-1 since there both bald? lol....

6. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope it wouldnt be as G1 is why we are where are today.

7. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    That's the best mental image I've had forced into my brain all day. Too funny.

8. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

If G1 never happened, Transformers would not exist today, and I might be more sociable. Not by much, but still.

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We'd all be on Gobotron.com :p 

10. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

11. corruptjoker

corruptjoker Decept-Hoe-Con

I would have to say no aswell. I think the movie made optimus unforgetable and unicron one of the toys you wanted so bad to see and have. I remember the day I saw the G1 movie. Went with my granny and it was a cloudy day. I was just amazed by the movie back then. Still to this day can recit the movie as I watch it. :p 

12. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I doubt TFs would even still have toys or get shows made without G1. G1 started all the memorable characters and was extremely popular when released. It set the foundation for everything that came after it.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I wouldn't be at all surprised if GoBots replaced it. GoBots failed, I believe, largely because it wasn't marketed as well as Transformers was. Hopefully Bandai and Tonka would have eventually got their arses in gear and realised what they had, and steadily increased their hold on the market.

I'd be good with Classics GoBots - in fact I'm making some now. :p 

14. Backstop

News Credits:
    I have thought the same thing as I liked Gobots as a kid so it is possible.

Cassics Gobots would be cool but just think how funny a updated Gobots show intro would be if in was based off the original song. As if I recall the only words used was "The Gobots" over and over lol...

15. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Whatever. If Transformers had started with Beast Wars, it would've made it. You can't look back objectively at this point anyway, because if Transformers had booted up differently none of us would've even known what G1 was anyway, or more accurately G1 would be completely different.

I truly believe if Beast Wars had preceded everything, and the G1 cast had come in after that, people would be arguing MUNKY NOT TRUKK. And people's childhoods would be raped if Michael Bay hadn't made Prime exactly like King Kong.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This totally made my morning. :lolol 

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

If the original Transformers never occurred, if it was just the toys, then chances are there probably won't be no Transformers period and we wouldn't all be here. But thankfully, there was the TV and Movie, in which the movie did seal Transformers as a cult classic... and paved the way for newer versions of the franchise, in which some are good and others just plain suck.

18. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Nah, disagree. G1 came about in the height of the 80s cartoon craze, along the likes of GI Joe, Thundercats, He-Man and all the other heavily pushed cartoons of those days. Yeah Transformers would've "made it" if it started with Beast wars, but in no shape or form would it be anywhere close to the same wide-spread exposure it is today.

80s cartoons have had a much heavier cultural impact up to today. If you were 12 and saw the G1 cartoon, you'd be over 35, 36 today. People today that are in positions to make decisions over what brands to market, what icons are most recognizable, etc. are old enough to remember watching TFs as a kid. How many projects featuring G1 have the creators/producers/whatever gone on to say "oh yeah I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and I loved it."

If you start with beast wars, many fans aren't even in their mid-twenties, and most likely still in college. They are in no position to make decisions to market them, to develop new projects/pitch ideas that feature them, etc.

As just a basic example, how many movies have been made that feature characters from 80s cartoons? How many movies have been made that feature characters from 90s cartoons?

Characters developed and marketed in the 80s are just more ingrained in popular culture than characters in the 90s. It's just a function of time, as well as the market for cartoons in the 80s vs. the market in the 90s.

To sum up, Beast Wars would have successfully introduced TFs, but there's no way we'd still have TFs today as strongly as they are in the market.

I can argue that TMNT was a much more popular cartoon and concept in general in the late 80s/90s than Beast Wars was during its time.

Where is TMNT now?

19. Backstop

News Credits:
    Strong points as I agree with many.

20. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

alot of the appeal in the 80's was seeing a truck/car just like the ones you saw on the road, transform into a giant robot.

If G1 had never happened and we'd started with Beast Wars, I don't see that same level of appeal.

G1 established the whole "robot in disguise, transforms to something else." If we'd started with Beast Wars people would be like, "why the hell are these robots turning into animals?"

Without the groundwork laid out by G1, Beast Wars would've been a flash in the pan. Just like a ton of other cartoons we've already forgotten about.

There would be no Primal without Prime.