If ebay didn't exist...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prime64, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Prime64

Prime64 In state of deep blue

Would Transformers be as expensive as they are today?

Or was it some sitting at a computer going... hmm, someone plunked down a cool 1k on ebay, I guess that's how much it's worth. Mainly I'm talking about G1 and the occasional rare item.

Also when exactly did the TF's collector's market begin? Were MISB G1's already in the hundreds/thousands at conventions and toy fares pre ebay?

Or has ebay caused everything to be overpriced?

I only got back into Transformers about 5 years ago, so I'm not really familiar with what went on before then.

When did it start to be okay to start laying down hundreds on a Transformer?

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

back in 1999, i layed down $80 for a complete Wheeljack on e-bay. Prices have been pretty level on him since, but the price for imports and forign bots has shot through the roof. Sites like this and E-bay TOGETHER have caused the increase. untill sites like this, most people never even knew of bots like Liokiaser, dai atlas, victory sabre, etc, so yea, HUGE price increase.

3. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Hard to say... Assuming the internet would still be around if ther were no eBay, people would still get info about foreign TFs. There COULD be a demand, but the only way you'd find out about prices would only be through price guides like TOYFARE (I can't recall, but weren't prices in their guide a lot higher than what they go for on eBay?).

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

If ebay didn't exist it'd be something else. If the internet didn't exist we'd have the glorious days of Flea Markets again. I miss the pre-internet days.

5. cutback4197

cutback4197 all roads lead to shame

Ebay:
    Dude A loose complete Wheeljack can go for 130-150. I have watched a whole bunch of them go at that price in the past few months. I wish I could get one for $80. He is one of the few first or second year cars I need.

6. Starscream'sSis

Starscream'sSis Ravage! Bad Kitty!

I think many non-mint collectables are more expensive because of Ebay or rather the internet in general. Before the web, your average American would have taken their old toys and sold them at a yard sale, not knowing what they were worth. Now they can easily look it up and get a better idea of what the items are worth. On the other hand, I think your genuine collector who kept their collections mint and in the box would do their research before selling, internet, or no internet.
    In general, the internet makes collecting easier, because there is an greater supply on a worldwide scale.

7. cutback4197

cutback4197 all roads lead to shame

Ebay:
    In some cases yes, in some cases ebay is way more expensive. Price guides are usless. The market for these things can change quickly and seemingly without reason.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    If ebay didn't exist, I would cry 1 tear

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Prices are actually better on Ebay. There are three collectors stores here in town and the same items Ive seen on Ebay for $60-90, are $150-200 at the stores.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

From what I've seen, collector shops are usually more expensive then ebay stuff. With rl shops, you have very limited options, but with ebay and the internet the world is open to you. I don't think ebay itself caused any price hikes, I do think it caused more items to be sold though.

11. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I think I did better before eBay - or at least when it was still relatively new. Now everyone (or nearly everyone) knows what they are selling. So yeah - I think it did help the increase in TF prices quite a bit.

12. Skyfire42

Skyfire42 Member

Before Ebay. i don't know if anybody else here remembers the old Transformers newsgroup that use to exist. It was well before most forums came to be, and people were trading and selling transformers on there all the time.

I think if ebay didn't exist we would probably see a lot more toys not just as garage sale (for less), but also in the trading area here.
    And i think it's a known fact that ebay has raised the price on many things over the years. Mostly because you didn't hear of insane scalpers of these toys until it became easier for people to sell them to those looking for them.

All in all i think it's been a bigger help though... i wonder how many new collectors exist today just because of ebay getting them back into collecting.

13. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

att (alt.toys.transformers)? That's still around... it's just kind of sad anymore.

*waits for the kids to ask what a newsgroup is*

14. nOObiE do0

nOObiE do0 noobious maximus

Without Ebay there would be no one person buying a case of toys.

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Heh.

I actually ran an auction ON a.t.t. circa late '97/early '98 when Ebay was in its infancy. I joined Ebay in Feb. 98, but it was still too new/not as much exposure as the newsgroup...plus I didn't have any feedback.
    It's kinda hard to separate Ebay and the Internet as a whole though, as the presence of both vastly increased what was available to potential buyers. Before you had to flip through Toy Shop or go to area shows. The Internet comes along and boom, every TF you couldn't find in the former is available to you...and everybody else. Supply went up (relative to you), but demand even more so, so prices crept up in return. Personally, I think it's kind of a fair trade. You can get virtually anything almost anytime if you've got the money...whereas before it didn't matter if you had money to burn and there was a theoretical Overlord out there for $100, but the two had virtually zero chance to intersect.

16. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    if there were no Ebay, the universe would collapse on itself!

17. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Yep I remeber when Star Wars started back up in 93 - 94 there was no ebay and the prices were mental in the stores, I think ebay actually helps

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    It's a double edged sword. Sure, ebay means you have to compete with alot more people to get the items so the price is higher due to demand. The other side is that because of ebay, there are more available to choose from so the price comes down due to a higher supply than you'd have if you were just flea market shopping in your local area. So I'd say it works out better with ebay. At least you can try to bid on a more complete or better shape one than you'd find at a yard sale. IF you'd find that particular bot at all.

19. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Totally agree with both of these, although the second one goes without saying :) 

But yeah, if you went to the local comic con's that happen in inland Los Angeles dudes there are total scalpers. I'd be surprised if they werent working at BBTS. They would have charged you $90 plus for a beat up G1 Prime. Now, they gotta compete with stuff like encore reissuse and KOs from all over the world.

20. Prime64

Prime64 In state of deep blue

Ah I see. I was just wondering because lately I've been seeing G1 going at insane prices (well more than usual). Like those people shelling out for a KO Prime for 300-700???? Not saying it's the buyer's fault, because they're tricked into thinking it's the real thing. Though I would've thought they would do a little research before shelling out 700, and not even know it's fake. Like how they would know if 300 or 700 is a good price to pay in the first place, regardless if it's real?

At any rate, I'm glad there's ebay, because I wouldn't have gotten a lot of figures without them.