If "blocky" designs are so bad

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by .WAL., Oct 8, 2006.

1. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

First of all, to each his/her own.

That said...

Many here declare that they support the new movie designs because they aren't blocky like the older ones.

Fair enough.

Then they go on to say that the blocky designs are too unrealistic... too old school... suck... etc., and basically recycling some of what the producers have been saying.

So what I would like to know is this:

If the blocky designs are so bad, then why have we continued to buy and support them in toy, animated and print form during the last 20+ years? Also, give me a line where they didn't look all "blocky".

O.k., RID perhaps. Some of that stuff did rock. Plus, FF To the Bay movie... BB aint so bad. I am borderline appreciating/liking what he looks like.

Now, someone is bound to say "the blockyness worked for those mediums. Again, fair enough. But then I'll have to ask why we haven't seen non-blocky-Formers before? Surely, they would have worked in the past as well.

WAL

2. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Whoops! I thought I was in a different forum. Can a MOD relocate this thread?

WAL

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    This doesn't belong in the News & Rumors section.

Here is my view on it. The blocky designs have worked so far, becase they've been a cheaper medium. The reason that I like the new designs, is that they are the quality that you would expect from how much these things are costing. It all really depends on how much the makers spend on the design of eace character. Peace out.

4. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

That's kinda why my second post read:
    "Whoops! I thought I was in a different forum. Can a MOD relocate this thread?"

So you are basing your tastes upon what someone spent on it?

WAL

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm not saying the new designs are 'good' or 'bad', I just have an open enough mind to realize the movie is, and was never intended to be anything more then based on the original story and characters. The movie designs are pretty jarringly different, but I don't think 'different' is nearly as bad as others think it is.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Non-blocky is already proven. The first time I picked up that basic shark Maximal from the Battle for the Spark BM wave waaay back, I saw the light. :D  Definitely one of the most evocative and marvelous little toys ever.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I still need to get that little guy...it looks awesome.

8. Prime crotch

Prime crotch Well-Known Member

Blocky designs wouldn't work on a movie not to mention that nowadays mechs have dropped the blocky Gundam look so they would be viewed as old.

9. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

We have seen non-blocky Transformers before. In Beast Wars/Beast Machines, the Maximals and Predacons were as you put it non-blocky. Granted in BM the Vehicons were blocky, but that's because they were based on vehicles.

And it's not really us (meaining the fandom) that's supporting the "blocky" style toys. The figs look like they do mainly for the benefit of the kids who are the main target demographic. Kids in general just like the simplistic look and the average kid might get frustrated with TF like Armada's Unicron.

And the blocky style TFs really do look better in animated/printed form then they would in Live action. At least Hasbro thinks so as this movie is based off of their toyline.

And in looking at Don's TF drawings, even he has deviated to more detail showing stuff like gears and such

And the Cyertron line is what I call a hodge podge. There are TF in the Cybertron line that don't have that "Blocky" appearance. Override comes to mind, as well as the characters from Jungle planet

10. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Beast Wars
    Beast Machines
    R.i.D. (The New molds of course)

So basically the BEST bits...

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I didn't see your second post till after I posted

I was basically saying that you can't expect the same detail that you would from a major movie production with a tv show, that has a very low budget compared to a film studio. Peace out.

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I'm actually glad you said this, because I'm of a similar opinion of Ravenxl7 (and I didn't read that as being meant accusingly, but rather, a question you were interested in hearing an answer to). It's not so much as basing taste on how much is being spent, but more like, they have a larger budget to work with, therefore they can do more with what they're given. For example... animating a CGI G1 Prime would be a very easy task for those people who know how to do it, especially if you throw a movie budget at them. I mean, really... you fold the arms out, flip the legs down, flip his head over and his feet out, and there you go. It would take a novice animator less than a day in his spare time to do that, I imagine (I could be wrong, I'm not an animator, I don't know the details). Now... give professional animators a movie-sized budget and... what, 9 months now? And tell them, "This is what you start with. Make this turn into an awesome robot." Yes, it's different. It's kinda wierd (not Kiss-play wierd though), but I think the bot modes we've seen are pretty cool.

Anyway... end of argument is... they have a lot of money to work with, so they can afford much more intricate and streamlined designs. I think the main point of his post was this line right here:

Which I agree with.

...of course, the fanboy in me would have really liked to have seen the oldschool G1 done in live action, but I think the fantasy is probably a lot better than what the reality would be. ;) 

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Blocky designs aren't bad, and neither are these.

14. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I’m a G1er, (though I very much like what I am seeing from the Classics line) and I have a lot of issues with some of the aspects of the movie designs as we have seen them so far. But I’m also willing to wait and see what the finished product looks like.

But no matter how much I don’t like about the movie bots I also personally think it’s irrelevant to get to fired up over as it seems far to late in production for any large scale changes to be made now.

15. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

They've been popular because it's easier to build toys that way. Building a human-shaped robot that "morphs" a thousand pieces of metal around its body as it shifts into vehicle mode is not something that's amenable to a children's toy, or even an adult one.

However, you can do something like that in a movie using CGI. And the result would be a much more organic-looking android, one that actually looks like it's alive and is capable of physical expression instead of just being a walking battlemech that might as well have a driver inside.

Personally, I have my gripes about most of the Transformers generations. G1 may be definitive, but the robots definitely lacked something in the posability department. G2, I don't think we need to discuss. Beast Wars had the "shell-former" problem, plus very non-humanoid robot modes. And something about robots in organic animal bodies just doesn't feel "transformery" to me. Beast Machines were just ugly, period, but at least they were different and imaginative.

Then we got RiD, which was the first line of new Transformers to solve all of the above complaints. Fire truck Optimus Prime was the most beautiful piece of Transformer toy engineering I had ever seen, hands down. The Autobot brothers were still kinda "shell-formers", but not nearly as much as they might have been. Megatron was an awesome six-changer, flying-hand mode notwithstanding. The trains were and still are the best combiner team ever designed. My only regret with RiD was that it had so few new toys and so many repaints from older lines.

Armada, Energon and Cybertron had some ugly robots (Energon Prime, anyone?) and was somewhat over-reliant on gimmicks, but they were a great evolution in the series. Alternators kick @$$, period, although many of them are just too hard to convert without snapping off parts or spending half an hour getting the legs folded up just right.

So, yeah, we were all hoping that the movie Transformers would look like the Alternators and have the same G1 homages. Instead we get something completely new and different, which, like Beast Wars, will doubtless create a range of new fans (my nephew was a huge BW fan, but was never interested in anything before or since) and alienate a bunch of old ones.

Many of those old fans will no doubt buy multiple copies of the TF:tM animated movie and steadfastly insist it is the definitive Transformers work, despite the fact that, when you get right down to it, it's filled with pointless plot tangents and story holes you could drive a Freighliner semi through.

Let them. We've got twenty years worth of blocky robots on eBay and DVD. We don't need any more of them. I say it's time for something new.

16. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

BW and BM wasn't blocky? If one doesn't consider them blocky, then what they lose in blocky, them make up for in kibble!

I think we can all agree on RID tho. RID was genius... at least the car bros. However, the construction vehicles, the trains... all blocky. The BW throw-backs... if not blocky, then kibble.

I'm surprised this hasn't moved yet.

WAL

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  18. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can you EVER post just ONCE -without- a snarky reply? Jeeeez. :horse: 

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I think all my blocky lovin comes from G1 and Brave.

Ever since those lines, I appreciate the blockyness. Plus I like simplicity half of the time. Transfoming something for a half an hour kinda kills the mood.
    Sometimes I need a break from the Alts and need a fastformer to mess with.

20. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Becuase we in this fandom don't need to make sense, duh.