If any Autobot was needed in these films it was Blaster

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jan 27, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    We can all argue and post about which Transformers should have appeared in these films; arguably my post is no different. But still, I think Blaster would have made a fine addition to the Autobots.

He is the Autobot communications officer/spymaster, serving as counterpart to Soundwave. He handled Autobot transmissions/signals and traced those of the Decepticons, and also possessed a bunch of minions (Eject, Rewind, Ramhorn, Steeljaw) to deploy. Had the Autobots had Blaster on their side, they might have been more secure and invulnerable (in ROTF Soundwave hacked into a freaking Autobot meeting), and of course would have had an added strike force.

Blaster is not just a reflection of Soundwave, but an established and well-loved Transformer; Jazz and Blaster are the most well-known “black” Transformers in the saga history. Blaster has endured his share of politically correct criticism, but he has managed to hold up well over the years (particularly in the recent comics), and still holds a decent-sized fanbase; the more G1 characters the better on the whole for these films (characters from other shows is great, but it’s G-ONE, you know?).

Blaster is also a great character on his own: a happy-go-lucky DJ-esque character, who is also a formidable and loyal commander of his troops. In the war he was described as one of those wartime broadcasters who acted as resistance in enemy territory, similar to what the Allies did in World War II. I think it would be interesting to have a Cybertronian version of that character.

I think TFilm Blaster would ideally appear as a telecommunications tower, with antennas and compartments (containing minions) and the like. This would fit for a communications officer, and kind of counters the satellite mode Soundwave took. I admit the concept of a walking antenna farm sounds a bit weird, but I think it can be pulled off fairly well and would be a suitable revision for Blaster (if I wanted to go G1 I’d say he become a turntable).
    Not sure who he’d have as a minion, but Steeljaw gets a prime post (what can I say, I’m obsessed with DOTM Steeljaw).

Who could voice Blaster? My choices are:
    - Buster Jones (the original Blaster)
    - DJ Jazzy Jeff (his name is Jazz, he’s a DJ, what’s not to fit or like?)
    - Richard Roundtree (Can you dig it?)

Do you think Blaster should have appeared? And how would you revise him accordingly (or ideally)?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

But...Bumblebee is already the radio guy.

Plus, while the idea of his alt. mode is interesting, it wouldn't work. The truth is, no movie bot can turn into an inanimate object without being something like Laserbeak or Frenzy. I'd go for one of those super-tricked out street tuners that can cause temporary hearing loss, preferably a boxy type like a Scion xB.

And he wouldn't get any characterization beyond five minutes. Remember who the movies love to focus on. And remember what happened to the other black robot? He had the most brutal death any Autobot has had in any movie.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Voice for Blaster: Will Smith.

Altmode for Blaster: Something similar to his Alternators alt mode, and that of TFA Soundwave - a communications van, loaded with communications and broadcasting equipment that transform into his sidekicks.

Sidekicks for Blaster: Steeljaw, Ramhorn, Eject, Rewind, Rosanna.

Personality for Blaster: Fun-loving, hip and happening, but also a formidable fighter. Cares deeply for his sidekicks. Obsessed with Earth music, especially rock.

Background for Blaster: A reporter on Cybertron during its age of peace. Became a communications expert and spy during the war.

4. Stockade187

Stockade187 Decepticon Junkie

Black guy dies 1st....even the ones from cybertron

5. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Just chillin'

i'd love this because Blaster is my second favorite. him and Jazz should have gotten a teamup in the first movie. not only would it have been AWESOME !!! but maybe it would of kept Jazz from gettin' killed because megatron would have been focused on both of them and not just one.

6. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

Most brutal?

Try getting eaten alive by rust.

Or your face ripped off by Prime's hooks.

7. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I like Nachtsider's concept of Blaster. My idea was to have Blaster be a communications truck based on a HEMTT like TFA Ultra Magnus, with the comms tower splitting up into Steeljaw, Eject, Rewind and Ramhorn (the radar dish would become Steeljaw's mane) and the spare tire becoming Scrounge.

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    “But... Bumblebee is already the radio guy.” “Remember what happened to the other black robot? He had the most brutal death any Autobot has had in any movie.”
    What do those have to do with anything? I’m talking about how Blaster would have worked in these films, and whether he was important enough to merit an appearance.

“I'd go for one of those super-tricked out street tuners that can cause temporary hearing loss, preferably a boxy type like a Scion xB.”
    “Altmode for Blaster: Something similar to his Alternators alt mode, and that of TFA Soundwave - a communications van, loaded with communications and broadcasting equipment that transform into his sidekicks.”
    “My idea was to have Blaster be a communications truck based on a HEMTT like TFA Ultra Magnus, with the comms tower splitting up into Steeljaw, Eject, Rewind and Ramhorn (the radar dish would become Steeljaw's mane) and the spare tire becoming Scrounge.”
    Hmmm. Blaster as a sportscar, like in Binaltech? Don’t think so, too much like Jazz AND Soundwave. The HEMTT vehicle is out too IMO; I mean it’s a great vehicle, but would it fit Blaster? I CAN see him as a surveillance van (this pic seems pretty ideal: Gamma Surveillance Van), but it doesn’t really fit his music-loving persona. And there are anyway too many automobile Autobots, let’s have some variety.

“Plus, while the idea of his alt. mode is interesting, it wouldn't work. The truth is, no movie bot can turn into an inanimate object without being something like Laserbeak or Frenzy.”
    You’re talking mass-shifting, which was as consistent as jelly in these films. Soundwave himself was seen to turn from a satellite into a Mercedes-Benz.

I agree with most of what Nachtsider said on Blaster, except the voice actor and perhaps the alt mode.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    If anything decent came from including him then sure. But I imagine it would go more like this:

Writers: "We were thinking of putting Blaster in the next script."

Michael Bay: "A Transformer called Blaster? He should be a giant gun! PEEOWW!! Hey - 'PEE-OWW'! He should piss fire from his gun barrel too!"

Writers: "We should've just kept our mouths shut..."

10. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Blaster would make a great addition and if Bay wanted to add some really cool, small, not silly characters, Eject and Rewind would make for 2 little bad ass A-bots that could be used to sneak around and yeah have some funny scenes for the kids but not (silly corny) like the twins we already got. I for one could see Blaster as some sort of SUV. This would make him large enough to be one of the big boys but not overly large. And just because G-1 Blaster had the black guy voice/persona, does not mean he has to be that way in the movies.

11. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

Lol this! XD

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Blaster as a railgun.....:bay 

I like Natchsider's idea more though.