If another Director/Producer/Writer made the Live Action movies..

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Darthbane2007, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Would they have become somewhat popular as they are now?

Please, let's not turn this into a bash fest. I merely want this to be a thread to discuss if the movies would have become popular as they are now, if the creative staff was different..

2. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    If the visuals (ILM) were good then most likely. I don't go to a TF movie for great drama, as long as the basic story and action hold my interest - I would have gone to see the TF films regardless of who wrote or directed.

3. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

It all depends who that would be:

Steven Speilberg (Director): Still as popular, and number 2 probably would have had that spark of Spielbergian magic the first one did.

Uwe Boll: They would flop, but he would still have money to make more. Asshole.

Ridley Scott: Hard to tell if they would have financial sucess, but you'd better believe they'd be better movies.

Christopher Nolan: Smaller cast, much darker. His name would probably bring in the bucks.

JJ Abrams: Eh, they would do well, but chances are we wouldn't get very good Transformers films.

Jon Faverau: Honestly, I would go see it. I'd love to see what he would do with the characters.

Louis Lettitier: Better action scenes, just as much money. Story I think would depend on the writer.

Joel Schumacer: No. Just no.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    James Cameron? Oh, yes.

5. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

This.

As long as they weren't a total bomb with no redeeming qualities, I'm pretty sure they'd do just fine with someone else at the helm instead of Bay and co. I'm pretty sure ILM is a good entity to thank for a lot of the movies' success.

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I put their financial success mostly down to Spielberg, ILM, and good timing. And a lot of it is down to the novelty value and nostalgia of Transformers.

I think Spielberg understood the commercial value of the property and how to market it. Without his involvement, we would've probably ended up with a far lower-profile movie. It might or might not have been a better movie, but it wouldn't have reached the same audience.

I also put a lot down to Shia. I think he helped make the film more accessible to a wider audience.

I don't give much credit to Bay or the writers, but there were some things they got right.

7. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    I feel compelled to show this to you: Michael Bay - Box Office Data Movie Director

Are you seriously not going to give Michael Bay credit for the TF movies' financial success???

8. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Steven Spielberg - He'd be perfect, except that IMO, and if KOTCS is any indicator, he still isn't back on his bearings with Fun Popcorn Movies after spending so much time involved in Serious Personal Films. I honestly can't say if he ever will be, at his age.

James Cameron - He'd be good, except his perfectionism tends to dominate and his ego always takes over once it's done. He'd also probably spend half the National Debt shooting it, which for the studio would mean farming out the sequel to someone else if the first movie does end up being a FIRST one.

Uwe Boll - Next!

Ridley Scott - It'd be a really hard-edged film, that's for sure - which would probably mean plenty of deaths of prominent TF characters to rival TF:TM. Not something that Hasbro would find particularly inviting, I imagine. On the plus side, the production design would be kick-@$$.

Christopher Nolan - I find the very idea that Nolan would ever consider doing a TF film laughable - I mean, what's he gonna do with it? Make it a dark, psychologically-slanted film about an obsessed, growly-voiced Optimus Prime hell-bent on destroying Megatron at all costs?

J.J. Abrams - I doubt Abrams' idea of Transformers would be all that much better than Bay's, to be perfectly honest. And in as much as I love Trek '09, this is the same guy whose approach to Superman was that Krypton shouldn't explode and that Lex Luthor should himself be revealed to be Kryptonian. Heck, he had to take "Star Trek" back in time and muck with ITS history in order to make that movie.

Jon Favreau - This is the choice that would probably make the G1 camp happy, since Favreau does clearly have it in him to be able to recount The Legend and credibly update it without making REALLY wild or unnecessary changes - heck, the TF designs would probably make everyone who cried foul at the 'Bayformers' cream their jeans. Also, the Autobots would all have snappy dialogue and the Decepticons would be a bunch of brooding bad@$$es who'd blast each other to bits first chance they got.

Louis Leterrier - LOTS of action and fight scenes, I'm certain.

Joel Schumacher - Nipples, buttocks and enlarged codpieces for everybody! NEXT!!!

Robert Zemeckis - Until recently I would have endorsed Zemeckis, but some of his newer choices for projects I'm a little worried about. A "Yellow Submarine" remake??? A Roger Rabbit sequel 20 years after the fact??? Seriously, Bob?!?

Of this lot, I'd say Favreau would probably be the one now to deliver a TF film anywhere near as popular as Bay's are. If IM2 is a hit, that'd clinch it for sure.

9. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I believe that the success of the movies was assured once Spielberg and the other elements I listed were in place regardless of whether Bay was on board or not. I'm not saying he didn't contribute to the success, it's impossible to measure. I'm just not convinced he was crucial to the success.

As you point out, Bay has directed some big movies over the years, but they were all either Jerry Bruckheimer or Steven Spielberg productions. The one time he goes it alone he ends up with a massive flop.

10. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    who really knows..

11. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    That's actually a very interesting observation that I'd never really noticed before...

I can see where you're coming from. Slapping Steven Spielberg's name onto anything almost always assures financial success, at the very least.

12. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Bay has also been a quite successful producer in his own right with his low budget Horror remakes. They're not very well regarded, but they all seem to have made a very good return on investment.

He's probably quite a savvy businessman in his way, what with his background in advertising. But someone like Spielberg is just on another level.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Favreau, Spielberg and Blommkamp are my choices, though only the latter would probably come up with a movie that isn't just a popcorn flick. He could give the Great War true depth though, especially if he goes with G1's hook about robots finding themself far away from home and needing the local resources to even survive.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i like how everyone makes the thoughts of how each director would tackle a TF film based on the film they're most known for.

hilariously inaccurate

who's to say any of those directors would tackle the Transformers franchise THE SAME EXACT WAY they've already done one movie?

i dunno. i'd have a hard time "guessing" how one director would do a movie. Saying Nolan would make TFs EXACTLY like TDK just doesnt make sense. they're completely different properties and the castcharacters are all significantly different as well

Personally i rather like the way Bay's handled the movies. Summertime popcorn fun with crazy awesome CGI. I dont think Transformers is really suited for much else int he film industry and Bay is the best when it comes to just that so.

A lot of those directors probably wouldnt even treat the Transformers as characters :p  they're big robots

heck, even Bay almost didnt

its a hard property to sell. thank the stars we've gotten what we have [and evenmoreso, be thankful this franchise is as popular and making as much money as it is!]

So yeah

I dunno how another set of people would tackle it cuz everyones different and everyone has their own take on things and frankly i dont really care. these movies are sweet for what they are

15. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

John Woo: Prime and Megatron spend half the movie fighting each other in a huge slow motion gun battle in which over 5000 rounds are fired but only flesh wounds are scored. They then realize that they have a mutual respect for one another, are the sole honorable warriors left in a dishonorable world, and celebrate their newfound respect and love by slaughtering an entire army of Seekers, culminating in them pumping another 5000 rounds into Starscream in slow motion.
    And then they die tragically.

Paul Greengrass: Working with a heroic journalist from the Guardian newspaper, Bumblebee discovers that the war against the Decepticons is actually a conspiracy by Prime to keep control of the Autobots and ensure that the Autobot military/industrial complex remains profitable and in power. He sets out to expose this conspiracy by beating up hordes of Autobots sent to kill him, blowing up buildings with toasters and plowing through crowded traffic jams at full speed. No one can actually see any of the action because the cameraman has advanced Parkinson disease, but this makes the film "arty", not frustrating. Honest.

Geroge Lucas. The original 86 movie is re-released, this time in full CGI. However, fans are upset to find that certain key scenes have been altered, specifically that Thrust now tries to shoot Prime before Prime runs his ass down, and that Unicron is now attempting to devour the universe because "one time he fell in love with this really hot moon made of wood and everything was like, all lovely and sexy and nice but then she went away and no one understand and life is so, like, unfair and nasty but he's special and has power so basically folks it's genocide time."

But yeah, in all seriousness, there is no real way to know exactly how a TF film from another director would have turned out. It's dependent on so many other factors, including writers, budgets, producers etc and often an otherwise awesome Director might simply not have a feel for the materiel in question. I think that Neil Blommkamp is one of the more interesting suggestions people have put forward. Like Bay, that guy clearly knows how to make a budget go WAAAAAY further on screen than 99% of other directors, shoots awesome action (with big robots), and clearly enjoys sci-fi. I think a theoretical TF movie with Blommkamp at the helm would certainly be intriguing.

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I don't know how a Transformers film with another team would have turned out. I do believe that, given an equal budget, it would have been just as successful.

17. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    THIS ^
    James Cameron FTW. He didn't even went to film school :D 

18. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    As much as I love James Cameron, choosing him automatically kills any chances of the movies being fun (which is an aspect of the movies that I greatly enjoy).

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Blommkamp also did a simply spectacular job making a wholly alien character that didn't even speak a human language sympathetic, interesting, and cool. And he made it look effortless.

- Coeloptera

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Since we don't have a way to travel to an alternate universe where the Transformers movie was made by other combinations of people than we had here there's utterly no way to know which would've been more or less successful. For all we know a faithful G1 movie with more traditional designs, written by Simon Furman and directed by Sam Raimi could've raked in far more cash than Bay's effort.
    We will never know now because the movies have been set in the way they are and we'll never get a first time again for a live-action Transformers movie. No-one can ever say a different way of doing things can ever be better or worse without talking out of their arse as they don't have that dimension-hopping technology to prove it.