If a real-life Metroplex or Trypticon took a swing at you

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cagey, Aug 14, 2012.

1. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

...would it apppear to be in slow motion?

Slow enough that you could evade on a motorcycle? Or at least take cover while he brings his foot down?

This question, because on t.v., the trope seems to be that anything of mega-colossal size on t.v. appears to the viewer to move in slow-motion.

I appear colossal to a fly, but they move so fast relative to their size. Same type of thing?

Great, thanks.

2. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Depends on the person.

If the person had too many donuts, smash.
    If the person is in a decent shape, maybe have a chance to avoid the hit.

3. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

I wonder what my reaction would be?
    Probably crapcrapcrapcrapcrap
    And then I'd get smushed.
    I doubt anybody short of an olympian could run fast enough to get out of the way of on of their fists. Which of course, are freaking huge!

4. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

Theres a name for that, I dont know what it is, but its a certain "law" I think.

Anyway, I would try to run out of the way(except for Metroplex, he autobot:D ) but my chances are slim. Anyones chances are slim :lol 

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'd turn tail and run like Cheetor with his tail on fire.

6. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Assuming that they have "normal" human-like speed for their size - yes!

Yeah, it's a weird phenomenon in nature that I am just NOT smart enough to explain properly. It has something to do with time/relativity, etc. etc. - I dunno, lol.

Like you said, OP, it's the same reason why it's so damn hard to whack a fly! From their perspective, your hand coming down is like watching a tree fall.

7. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

Oh, that thing where it seems to slow down? It's something about adrenaline, which allows you to think and act extremely fast, right? Apparently you can't do this all the time becuase it wastes your muscles. Something like that anyway.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The reason big things are portrayed like that is because of mass. To get an arm the size of house or building moving requires a lot of energy. It also requires a lot of energy to stop.

But to specifically answer your question, something the size of Metroplex probably would not be as slow as portrayed. Think of it like this; does an ant see an elephant move in slow motion? Assuming Metroplex is built well enough to ambulatory he could theoretically be able to move with the same relative speed as us.

But when you move to something like Unicron, then this no longer holds true. Something the size of a planet turning into a humanoid form and swinging an arm has a big problem. The speed of light. Because of that scale getting anything to move with any speed requires MASSIVE amounts of energy. And getting something with the size of a continent to move at a relatively normal speed would mean that it is traveling MASSIVE DISTANCES extremely fast. Physics puts a cap on that. I doubt Unicron could move his arms at any significant speeds. Remember that in the real world, the Earth was struck by a Mars sized planet that helped form our moon. That collision took 20 minutes.

9. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Not really. The reason it is difficult to hit a fly is because they are practically a flying eyeball with incredible agility.

While it is true that as mass increases dilation of time increases, that is not true at the scale of life on earth. A second for a bacteria is the same as a second for a whale. With all the mass of the Earth, the dilation of time compared to the moon is a miniscule fraction of a second. It took us decades to even prove it existed (mostly due to a lack of precise enough gyroscope technology).

A fly experiences time at the same rate we do. They are just wired to see everything and react quickly.

10. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Just curious...

What's your educational background/line of work?

11. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I'm a failed game programmer currently working at a friends college book store. Oh I'm also a huge freaking geek.

12. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Huh, I thought big things did appear to move slower than smaller things, relatively. I learned something today.

Is it also false that a very small thing sounds high-pitched to a larger thing, but sounds normal to other very small things?

As for the question, I'd probably freak the hell out, but why I wouldn't already have legged it upon seeing a city-sized death machine begs more consideration.

13. Rexidus

News Credits:
    That's more an acoustic issue; an area I'm not all that familiar with. But from a physics standpoint I don't see why size would affect the sound wave. I would suspect the size of something wouldn't limit the size of the sound wave generated. But I could be wrong. I could be wrong about the Metroplex question but I don't believe I am.

14. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    :lol  Ryoku, may I please sig this? Heck, even just the second sentence if you'd rather the first not be made more public? :) 

15. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Go for it. :) 

Huzzah, I have now been sig'd. That makes me internet famous right?

16. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's got more to do with size. It's one reason tiny things like insects seem to have such fast reaction times.

17. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Smaller things tend to be higher pitched because they don't have as much space to resonate. That's why big subwoofers can give a better, deeper sound over smaller systems.

18. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It depends on the person and how fast the two giants are to begin with.

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    To be honest it all comes down to how Metroplex is built. if he's built to move at the same speed as any other transformer to scale (like if Bumblebee can run a scale mile in 5 minutes, Metroplez can too" Then you're screwed. If he's built like a big, slow piece of machinery, like that big ass driller machine from Germany, then you'd be able to get away.

20. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

This trope is ridiculous.
    In "Honey We Shrunk the Kids" when Wayne Zelinsky sweeps up the debris from his shrinking machine, He accidentally sweeps up his now Centimeter-tall children. At his scale, the broom may only be sweeping back and forth at a rate of ten to fifteen miles per hour but now that his children are the size of Pencil shavings the broom is moving at about 2 miles per hour (Or howevever fast Hydraulics can push a Broom the size of a house). The broom SHOULD be moving MUCH faster due to the fact that Wayne Zelinsky's Lab, to the now miniscule children, is the size of Central Park devoid of obstructions and anything able to clear that space in one swipe... should be moving at the same speed only much faster scale-wise. Hell, the impact from the broom SHOULD kill the children on impact. (would be like getting hit by a palm tree during Hurricane-force winds)
    Nobody could outrun Metroplex if he moves like you or me at his scale. Or Trypticon

A better example for Scale Speed would be the Powerpuff Girls. In one episode, Professor Utonium shrank the girls to about a centimeter tall for whatever reason the show needed it. The girls try to speed-fly to the rescue like they usually do (to them, traveling at approximately 60-120 MPH) but since they're much smaller now, they move about a foot per minute at normal scale. and Professor Utonium has to take them to where they're needed.