IDW's Transformers Comes to an End Confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TargetmasterJoe, Mar 27, 2018.

1. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

That's... ok. A new look at the story and a refresh on the characters and stories would be interesting. As long as the production values are great, I'm in.

• Like Like x 15
  3. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

It's really unbelievable. I don't know what to think. LL was so much better than we deserved.

• Like Like x 16
  4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Starry Night Melody

News Credits:
    The IDW comics have provided us with an immense amount of fiction over their decade long run. Some of the fiction has been stapled into Transformers lore and used for the basis of it going forward, and it’s well deserved of that. All things must come to an end however, and in their place something new is born.

IDW has given us all that it can, and I eagerly await the next continuity of comics and what it can offer the franchise. Transformers has been around for 34 years, and there are still new places to go in fiction, new ways to portray characters, and new stories to be told.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 24
  5. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would be kind of sad to see this end, as I've really enjoyed the IDW run, especially the Lost Light stuff.
    On the other hand there have been some pretty mediocre issues, most of the storylines way from the Lost Light have been kind of dull... and I am really sick of the constant cross-overs with other publications and products.
    This is something that Marvel and DC periodically do to try and boost sales of their less popular series and encourage readers to expand readership to other lines. I perfectly understand why they do it, but as a reader it's annoying. The stories and characters I like and follow keep getting interrupted by stuff I have zero knowledge or interest in, and I find I either skim through most of these issues or skip them entirely. I wanna read Transformers comics, not Mask or GI Joe or Ghostbusters... to say nothing of franchises I've never even heard of like ROM or Visionaries.
    When I buy a Superman comic I don't want to read a book that's trying to push me into reading the Blue Beetle comic.
    Likewise when I buy Transformers, I want to read Transformers.
    IDW kind of jumped the shark for me as soon as they started levering Hasbro's other stuff into random issues.

• Like Like x 12
  6. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    I know people are gonna be bummed/angry about it ending, but honestly? It\'s better that it gets a proper ending, and also ending while the comic is at a high point, y\'know?

The Sonic comics went through hell over a lawsuit from a has-been ex-writer, which resulted in months of work being thrown away, forcing it into a soft reboot, eventually just getting delayed over and over, and it ultimately ended up with Archie losing the liscense and SEGA giving it to IDW.

Granted, I\'m excited as hell for IDW Sonic, but it upsets me that so much work had to be undone by one bitter person, and the comic couldn\'t even get an ending.

That\'s why I think people shouldn\'t be as upset about Transformers ending. It\'s not like it was just sprung on them without warning, and they\'re going to end the books their way, y\'know?

• Like Like x 17
  7. Autobot Jamie

Autobot Jamie Well-Known Member

That stinks :(  

• Like Like x 2
  8. seanlockyer

seanlockyer UCF: The REAL 2017 National Champions

Ebay:
    How about this ? Have a 12 issue miniseries that bridges the gap between G1 and G2 and then pick up with a new series after G2 and continue on. No Re-Generation One, no this, no that, just a simple monthly story written by Simon Furman. Never happen but a man can wish....

• Like Like x 11
  9. Novus

Novus Nemesis

News Credits:
    Well, I'm glad we got this much, all these great takes on characters, amazing designs, and amazing stories. I just hope the reboot keeps this more unique style and great story telling, I say, this is probably for the better.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Fanatic97

Fanatic97 Fanatic97

This is incredibly sad but with all the editorial stuff and Hasbro clearly just wanting to re-run the original G1 concept into the ground again, it was going to happen. What they think we all want is the Autobots and Decepticons fighting it out, and since we're not getting much of them doing exactly that when they don't want.

I want to challenge someone to define the Orginal Versions of Cyclonus without a connection to Galvatron, Skids without the Bay one, just define any of the originals and compare them to what IDW and later incarnations have done.
    My only hope is that whatever comes next still manages to be something good and fresh even if it is forced back into Gen 1 roots.
    Best thing I can say about this?

Maybe we can finally shake off Arcee used to be a man and being a girl makes her psychopath.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    How would that appeal to new readers?

• Like Like x 7
  12. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This!!! I hate the crossover. This is why I quit collection the comics. No more One Shot, prequels, etc. Just stick with one series. Then maybe a couple years down the road start other one.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love the current run of IDW TF comics, especially the Lost Light. I really don't want to see it end, but at the same time it can't go on forever, either. Going out on top is probably the best thing. I just hope the next iteration will be just as good as this one.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Fanatic97

Fanatic97 Fanatic97

How about?

No.

Each time you guys request a Generation 1 continuation you end up getting something that's not the best quality and disappoints you and makes you want another? Does NOTHING satisfy the lust for G1? Can we just NOT have our 10th Generation 1 continuation! Because I know that you won't be happy with the outcome of that idea either somehow.

I feel like Regeneration One was a message telling everyone to STOP ASKING THEM TO CONTINUE G!

• Like Like x 13
  15. IanAdams

IanAdams Secret Octopus

I'm excited. I've really liked some of the IDW stuff, but I like the idea of one of the many, many retellings of this story having an ending. The war ended, and they didn't go back. Honestly, I knew it was only ever a matter of time before it was Optimus and Megatron leading Autobots vs. Decepticons on Earth. I'm kinda glad they're not just undoing that progress like it didn't happen. I'd rather them blow up the universe than change Megs back, basically.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  16. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems to conveniently coincide with the end of PotP...

I'm guessing the Generations toyline designs of the new War For Cybertron will still be closely linked with the IDW comics as they've been before.

• Like Like x 6
  17. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

Booo! For the most part, use has been the best transformers stories ever! Especially Mtmte!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    This universe has provided us with some amazing stories over the years, it's also given us a lot of crap, especially in the more recent years. Most likely this reboot is a similar plan to what Marvel tried doing with their big relaunch in an attempt to try and boost their sales, because at the end of the day the sales are the most important thing to Hasbro, as well as the bottom line. Frankly at this point, IDW is at the point of no return for me, after what they did with G.I. Joe, I'm having a hard time trying to reconcile that. They proudly handed off the reins of G.I. Joe's equally as long-running IDW storyline to some unhinged lunatic who was very open about hating G.I. Joe as a whole, and wanted to pervert it and make it into what it wasn't. Such utter contempt and disrespect.

If they try something like that with Transformers, they really will be up shit creek without a paddle.

With Marvel the problem starts to make itself apparent when you realize they didn't get rid of the people that made their sales suffer in the first place, IDW needs to take notice of that. If they keep the people on board that are causing their sales to suffer, the reboot won't do that well either. Perhaps get Simon Furman and Bob Budiansky on board as consultants, focus on telling actual stories, don't try to ape or mimic what Marvel and DC are doing.

Its a shame because even now IDW has some incredible artists working on their stories such as Milne and Kei Zama. Lose Roberts, Scott and Barber. Roberts has gotten so much worse as time went on, that it doesn't even feel like the same person who wrote the past great stories he's certainly made.

All in all, it's past time for this universe to end before it gets any worse. Learn from your mistakes and hopefully things will work out better next time around.

Better yet, TakaraTomy should have Hayato Sakamoto write and draw an ongoing Transformers shonen manga that could get an official translation for the west. Like My Hero Academia or Dragon Ball. Since the western comic industry seems to be mostly in decline these days, lets give the east a chance.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 13
  19. noble_prime

noble_prime Well-Known Member

I call such bull crap on this.  Hasbro is sticking it\'s fingers where they don\'t need to be going.  This company jolted the series back to life for so many of us.  It was such an amazing new take for the characters, \" the war is over, what do we do now?\".  That was a great title that\'s ran for years.  

I\'m sad as hell it\'s going to be rehashed, just like so many other publishers do.  :( 

• Like Like x 3
  20. Soma

Soma Well-Known Member

I'll give it a chance, but between this and the hurried end of PotP I'm feeling like Hasbro just doesn't want my money for the time being.

• Like Like x 4