IDW's Art Du Jour (02/09/07) TF: Animated Movie TP Bonus Page

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Primal, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    02/09/07
    When we asked Don if he had any bonus materials for the Transformers: The Animated Movie TPB, he said, "Here's the script for the first three NEW scenes... it's basically an explanation as to why the heavy hitters from season two of the cartoon were absent from the movie." How sweet is that? (We think it's pretty freakin' sweet.) So all you TF fans can thank Don for creating this page we're showing off today, and then be on the lookout for the rest of his new bonus material when the TPB drops in April!

[​IMG]

Source: IDW Publishing

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Dang, that's cool yet annoying at the same time. I was kinda hoping this sort of thing would be in the individual issues. Question is, does the inclusion of these new pages make me want to buy the adaptation all over again?

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Wait... Where am i looking? The image included is nothing new.

4. Esquilax79

Esquilax79 Decepticon Cassette

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought that was what we'd be getting too with the individual issues.... I was very disappointed in it because it was just the movie, without some of the lines (some key)

It's a really good idea but something they should have done for the mini-series. I want the trade now, but also don't because i don't want to reward them for being jerks.

5. Kintoun

Kintoun Active Member

I hate supporting little stunts like this. As tempting as it is, I refuse to get the Animated Movie Adaptation trade paperback simply based on this but I am curious if this scene will perhaps be included in Transformers: The Greatest Battles of Optimus Prime and Megatron. It's going to reprint issue 1 and this bonus scene takes place during that story so I'd say there's roughly a fifty/fifty chance.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm wondering that too. Is there supposed to be some *new* preview page somewhere? Because all I'm seeing is Blaster & Perceptor vs cassettes.

7. jimsloth

jimsloth Well-Known Member

thats such BULL!!! thats what they said we were going to be getting in the individuals. So pissed. What do I do now, try to resell the individuals and buy the trade, or just ask someone to scan in the extra pages? I'm not giving those bastards double the money, thats for sure. Damn it why didn't DW have better bookkeepers? I hate IDW.

8. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Artist/Colorist Monkey

I dunno. I tend to wait until everything's collected into a paperback anyways; so I'll definately be picking this up for the new scenes.
    Gotta say those colors are lookin pretty sharp. I still would have LOVED to see Makoto Ono or Guido Guidi taking on this Animated movie adaptaion. Don's got awesome art, but those two(Ono and Guidi) are VERY good at drawing the G1'cartoon style(if not a hardcore-better version of it). : D

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I haven't bought an IDW trade yet and at this rate I never will.

10. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I'll bet it's something like Perceptor asking Blaster where all the Season 2 guys are.

Next page is gonna show them, I'll bet.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    What a pant-load. I hate it when they hold back on bonus materials like that in effort to convince fans who already bought it to double-dip.

I didn't care too much for the new adaptation anyway--I should've never given into nostalgia and had them ordered for me. Comics suck because you can't get a refund if you don't like them.

12. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    So I glad I don't make it out to the comic book shop often and thus only buy the IDW stuff in trade format.

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    umm... they always do this - all transformers trade paperbacks have additional content. usually character design sketches or some information about the story.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree.

15. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I feel ya, this was something I've pushed for when I was first asked to do the project, I asked Chris, Bob and Dan about the possibility but with the allocated pages given for each issue, there's just no way.. I even resorted to adding in bonus panels on the actual written pages but there's just too many I wanna put in there. ( I did managed to slip in Shockwave getting killed..)

back in Botcon, I pleaded with Chris and Dan to let me do additional scenes for the TPB, since there wont be any sketches or anything to include. I even volunteered to do it for free, and I have!

so far I've done 3 and I want to do more, but I dont know how much time I got left, specially since I'm busy with the prequel

16. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    IDW's double-dipping stunt is nothing new in today's marketing ploys.

The formula is very simple. There will be more people who buy it than people who bitch about it. The mark-up on TPB's is much greater than individual issues.

HOWEVER, this type of strategy will come around and bite them in the ass, or any other company that does the same. It essentially rewards those who did not support the title and waited for the TPB. This is a slap in the face to the fans.

IDW also offers collected trades of hard-to-find issues covers. This is also a BIG slap in the face to fans and retailers. It says : You worked hard to find them, you spent a lot to get them, NO MATTER we are offering them all in this nifty TPB.

And we wonder why sales (and quality) of individual issues is dropping.

Way to go IDW

Godspeed
    -Greenspan

17. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Again, this is nothing new and has been going on since the very first Dreamwave trade paperback. Why are people only just going "oh noes! this will be the end of the comics!" type of bitching?

18. Kintoun

Kintoun Active Member

I'm skeptical about how true the above claim is that they all have additional content. Going by official solicitations, plenty of Transformers trade paperbacks make no mention whatsoever of new material. For instance, Evolutions: Hearts of Steel and Generations Vol. 1 TPBs neglect to say any previously unseen content is included. Besides, there's a gigantic difference between missing out on a couple sketches and being denied important sequences to a story.

19. Kintoun

Kintoun Active Member

I doubt any extra scenes added by Bob Budiansky will be original. I have a hunch this is a reference to the deleted Devastor scene featuring Red Alert & Tracks which can be seen on the 20th Anniversary DVD.

20. Bass X0

News Credits:
    You're not missing out on entire scenes that were in the movie but not in the comic by not getting this book so I hardly class them as "important sequences", just really nice bonuses. And as Don said he TRIED to get them in the comic but was restricted by space. And I don't see why IDW wouldn't want to mention this new material.