(IDW) Who the heck is Drift???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by diablo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Just finished reading All Hail Meggy 8, and I have one seriously burning question:

WHO IS DRIFT?

The dialogue between him and ironhide at the end almost seems to suggest that he was "someone else" - I'm thinking he may even be the evolution of a well-known G1 character (kind of like Thundercracker to Scourge).

Oh yeah - what is up with Perceptor?! Dude is BADASS!!! It's like a switch flipped in his processor, and now he's this stone cold sharpshooter. Totally love this new characterization of him.

For those of you who haven't picked this up yet - DO SO NOW! This series is really good.

PS. I so want a Drift toy to be made now (as well as the inevitable resculpt into Blurr)>

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A Cybertronian weeaboo.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You should visit the comics forum. Among other things, there's been discussion on every issue of AHM as it's been coming out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets moved to the comics forum.

Anyway, as stated, he's an official fan character who's mired in controversy, from his very existence, to the fact that IDW really wants him to have a toy that Hasbro may give a slot to in Classics 3.0, to that he's a major weeaboo. You could also call him the Poochie of G1 Comics.

4. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    drift is a bad ass mutha... SHUT YO MOUTH!!!!!!!!!

he is prob one of my favorite transformers

5. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Drift is no character. He is an excuse. ;) 

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    el oh el

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Just some stereotypical Japanese-style character who is soooooo super badass and shit and always has a smirk branded on his face, but watch as he'll have a deep an troubled past which he'll brood over eventually. I think it's clever putting him in the comics with all these other western-style characters.

On a side note: IDW comics need more IDW G1 Ratchet.

8. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Drift is IDW's attempt at making a popular original character who was to double as an Autobot version of Wolverine. Thing is, he is just a bland "I'm badass cause I'm written that way" character, who really has no true reason to be one. The greater majority of the fandom labels him a "Mary-Sue" and a waste of a roster space. I agree with them.

9. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    I'm sure, given enough time he'll have a spotlight of his own like every other "Bad ass" character we've grown to love that still wont give a full perspective of his past and we'll most likely eat it up.
    However, yeah, I'd buy a toy.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    They should have used some kind of young Star Saber instead.

11. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    He was my favourite character in the cartoon. This Shane McShaney person had better write him properly or else.:drunk 

12. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree, in fact, now that I think about it, that would've been perfect.

:lolol 

The only difference is Prowl, is cool because he's well written, Drift was supposed to be cool because they yelled it into out ears. Also, Animated Prowl smiles, not smirks. Bumblebee smirks, but that's because he's a little scamp.

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is a tool designed to cause epic butthurt in fanboys. The only known cure is HILARIOUS Gobots cameos or the the use of obscure G2 characters as red shirts.

Remember, the G1 toyline and cartoon contained EVERY SINGLE TRANSFORMER ON CYBERTRON.

15. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is a tool designed to cause epic butthurt in fanboys. The only known cure is HILARIOUS Gobots cameos or the the use of obscure G2 characters as red shirts.

Remember, the G1 toyline and cartoon contained EVERY SINGLE TRANSFORMER ON CYBERTRON.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nostalgia comic is nostalgic. Know your audience.

Or didn't you hear about the AWESOME fifth Ninja Turtle? He's super rad, has claws that pop out of his knuckles and a timber wolf!

17. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    yuo mean like the Spotlight being released for him this year?

and yea id totally buy a toy of his if they make it

18. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    He's a character we're meant to find ultra cool and awesome, I think. He was hyped by IDW months before he appeared like none of their other characters had been before and made out to be the Autobot version of Wolverine, placed in with most of the A-list without any explanation using a design that doesn't fit in with the aesthetic of those around him, his first real act beheading an Insecticon drone so fast it didn't have time to react... Doing so with a cheery smirk as he's just that cool. He's gotten his own spotlight while established fan favourites are still waiting and they insist he will be getting a Universe figure. The attempts to justify him seem rather silly as he's said to be a role no other character can play in a re-imagining of g1 where any character can be altered, but also in a role so minor anyone could play it as he's not there to save the day, being a gruff swordsman in a team that already has Springer who has been reduced to crowd filler. They either totally misjudged their audience, or set out to tick them off. Either way, bad choice.
    There wouldn't be anywhere near as much irritation if they hadn't set out to make him so special, had him appear in the background and slowly move to the foreground over time, but no, we got 'Gabbo is coming' from the very get go and it came across more as Poochie.

19. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:

I think they went with the "make the fifth a girl" route instead and nearly killed the series

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  that's even worse than Snake Bub.