Heavy/Scratch: IDW Turmoil - W.I.P. (Chanformers original project)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Joey_Santana, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IDW Turmoil - W.I.P. (Chansformers original project)

'Sup brothers

So I got inspired by the AMAZING work of Chansformers (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/609029-classics-idw-turmoil.html) and realized that this is a must to do, hence I concluded that what is good must to be copied. :thumbs2: 

Unfortunately I do not have the same parts he used on his project, but I'll work on this guy with what I have.

Well there's a lot to do yet and all I can say is that I'm having loads of fun working on this custom and I hope it turns out just as great as the original work is.

Thanks for looking.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: 07/11/2012

Well...After screwing up with the original arms while trying to make them look a little diffrent for the altmode I decided going through a new route and streamlined him a little.
    I'm now using KO's Classics Megs arms and cannon.

I cut the cannon in the middle portion in order to attach it to the right arm. The cannon can now be attached to his back as well as seen in the comics. Other parts and details will be added up to the cannon later.

I'm still working on his altmode which will hopefully be some sort of a Cybertronian tank.

I like the way he's looking more proportional now though I'm still far from what I really want.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Perfect mold choice, man. Pity he won't be scale but I'm sure his bad assness will be.

3. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    ugh... i really need to step it up and get mine finished.
    this is looking great so far man!

4. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks bros, it is really hard to find a good head for this guy.

I actually have an extra Onslaught head but I'm not feeling comfortable enough to use it for this project...

5. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This looks really really good!

6. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    use an Alternators Swindle head with a mouth plate. i think it looks a lot better for the character

7. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well bro, I don't have this Swindle head, it actually would be perfect judging by what I saw in your version. By far I'm using an old K.O. Perceptor head which I did some light mods, but I'm not satisfied yet.

Updates: Cannon and legs improvement, head and altmode configuration test.

I still don't know if I keep using this huge cannon or go for something lighter...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You know its cool to see Turmoil a character that looks badass get some love in these customs.

9. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Update: 07/11/2012

Well...After screwing up with the original arms while trying to make them look a little diffrent for the altmode I decided going through a new route and streamlined him a little.
    I'm now using KO's Classics Megs arms and cannon.

I cut the cannon in the middle portion in order to attach it to the right arm. The cannon can now be attached to his back as well as seen in the comics. Other parts and details will be added up to the cannon later.

I'm still working on his altmode which will hopefully be some sort of a Cybertronian tank.

I like the way he's looking more proportional now though I'm still far from what I really want.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    oh wow! this is really nice. i like how you changed up the arms, and now seeing it.. it looks really nice! i feel like if you can do it right with adding the treads and bulking up the arms it can work instead of using the original hulk arms.

the only think i think you should do is lower the shoulders. they look a little high and make the arms like tiny.

seeing yours and chanformers turmoil makes me want to heighten mine hah. i need help -__-

but I'm actually gonna start painting mine up tomorrow

11. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm...You are right. The shoulders are quite too high, though they are still experimental pieces... I'll see what I can do about that.
    I have a plenty of Styrene sheets to use, but I definitely can't cut this damn thing. It breaks appart to easily...Need more PVC sheets, but I just can't find...

Yours is already perfect, and all the detailed extra parts you made for him make him the most accurated version IMO. I'm surprised you haven't painted him yet bro this is the easiest part since he is full black.

Spray automotive matte black all over, add up the light blue highlights and be happy!

12. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:

what breaks apart too easily?

hah thanks!
    iv bought flat black spray paint, but i don't want him just solid black. I'm using that as a primer, then painting over in a really dark grey. then doing blue for the highlights. maybe even some regular grey in certain areas. i really wanna make it look good.

plus I'm gonna try and die his hands and the old cannons because thats where the new cannon slides onto and i don't want to have the paint come off when rubbing

13. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn it Joey.....I already have to much on my plate trying to finish my Combaticons and now you come along and make me want to build one of these lol!!!!!!!!!

Awesome job so far bro and I can't wait till you get him finished.I seriously might have to try this!!!!!!

14. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Styrene sheets man, they break too easy, I can't cut it right. That is driving me crazy, IDK how to cut this withouth breaking the edges...That's why a rather using PVC sheets, they are more "solid" and they also bend.

Ohhh nice! I think I'll be waiting to see your paintwork before painting mine. That seems to be a great paint scheme though I love Chansformer's version. Full black works p. well too.

15. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    ooo wow. that stinks. i never have problems with mine. i use .5mm and i most of the time will just draw on it what i want to cut and ill either use scissors or an exacto knife and ruler. its a pain sometimes but i never have too many problems.
    i usually when making something will then layer it after. to thicken it up and make it more solid

16. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haha thanks, I felt the same when I first saw Chansformer's version about a month ago. I immediately went out to purchase this mold.
    Then I saw Javaco's and kinda went totally upset about my version. Haha So it seems there will be at least four different takes on Turmoil soon bro! Go ahead man, you have amazing skills!

17. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even with the thinner sheets, I totally ruin 'em while trying to cut. I never get the edges intact...Perhaps my scissors are rusty or something. Layering would be a great solution for thickening up small parts, but I must confess I don't have patience for it man...Unfortunatly. :(  I really admired how good you made those plow spikes :thumb  Sometimes i spent hours searching for parts to shave down/cut/modify in my junkboxes just in order to have the small parts or even greater pieces I judge simmilar with what I seek.

By the way, those lines on the shoulders, chest and thighs. You carved them with an exacto knife as well?

18. avengerboy123

avengerboy123 Well-Known Member

Ok I may sound stupid but who's Turmoil?

19. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    oh i gotcha! yeah it takes a lot of patience. thats why i probably made those shoulder plows about 6 different times. i wanted to shoot someone haha.
    i wish i had a casting kit right now, i would def cast the plows and send you a set.

the lines, yeah sorta. what i did was i made the plows base, without the spikes. then i added another layer on the front, but didn't attach it all the way on just so i can get the right shape but still be able to take it off. then i drew on that piece where i wanted to cut, and used the knife cutting the piece then attached the pieces back on so there was just that gap in the middle.

its kinda hard to explain