IDW Transformers...Minis or ongoings?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Effect, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Effect

Effect New Member

Just curious, are the Transformer comics being done by IDW as far as anyoen knows will be mini after mini?

Or are they actually doing an ongoing series sooner or later or is it just more viable financially to do minis?

Going to be picking up Stormbringer since I've heard it isn't as slow as Infiltration. Plenty of Transformer action and that's just want I want in Transformers.

Thanks.

2. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I've read Chris Ryall refer to it as an ongoing, but based on numbering it seems to be an ongoing series made up of minis... if that makes any sense. Or a regular succession of minis. Or something every month.

3. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Effect is right. It uses the "seasons" concept that The Ultimates and the Young Avengers follow. On one hand it is an ongoing (Even though The Ultimates doesn't seem like one.), but it resets it's numbering every few issues. However, Trasnformers seems to reset it's numbering after one arc instead of two. If you can even call Infiltration an arc. They should have done escalation right away in the same numbering and then gone into Stormbringer after that was over.

4. Lazeric

Lazeric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you look above the UPC on Stormbringer #1, there's a tiny little silhouette of an Autobot symbol, with a #7 in it. So maybe that's where the numbering for the ongoing will take place, whereas the more prominent and advertised number will be for the mini-series/arc (gotta cash in on those #1's!)

- L -

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I don't necessarily agree with that approach. But hey, at this rate, might as well do what you have to do to sell a book. Too bad it feels like many people have lost interest in the on-going G1 series and are more excited for Stormbringer and the BW Profiles.

6. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Erm, isn't Storbringer part of the G1 story arc, just a different part of it?

7. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish it was an ongoing, and numbered as such. I'd like to one day pick up a Transformers #81 and beyond. (UK issues don't count)

8. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Ya, it would be nice to have an actually high numbered series, but if having a new #1 2-3 times per year increases sales enough to keep the series going for years then I have no problem with it.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    They should have called every Infiltration issue #0, and Stormbringer could be #1 of an ongoing. But nooooo, we can't get into double-digit issue numbers. Sales will tank!!1

10. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

*nod*

The reason for renumbering the story arcs is 'cause retailers asked for it. Which seems reasonable enough -- if people've ever wondered why series sell out in stores more easily the further on they go, it's because retailers invariably place smaller pre-orders for anything they can't guarantee moving, and sales trends are that #1s bring in more for their bottom line. Even something like Fifty-Two is likely to get diminishing orders over the course of its run as people wander off to other titles or wait for trades.

11. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main problem with a series of mini series' is that there won't be any room for good 1 or 2 issue stories, everything will be expanded for mini series/TPB. Of course, most comics seem to be suffering from this trend, making every story a huge muti-part "event" but making a series of minis makes such a thing mandatory.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think that's what the one shots are for. Right now, they're character focused, but hopefully in time we'll get some that are focused around a group of characters or a single issue story.

(Come on, Wreckers mini)

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

QFT. This is the single biggest problem I have with the TF comics today. Everything has to be epic. The most frustrating part is that the pacing is usually terrible and there's rarely more than 3 or 4 issues worth of story in a 6 issue miniseries. Hell, Dreamwave's atrocious G1 Vol. 1 could easily have been told in ONE issue. There would be more than enough page space to devote to more character driven content. One of the things I loved about the Marvel stuff is that while there was an ongoing story, it kind of served as a backdrop to a large variety of events. I prefer that method of storytelling, but I do recognize that this is just the way things are in most comics these days. Still a bummer though.

14. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Five one-shots announced so far. I doubt two-parters would be out of the question.

And one of the nice things about Inf, I think, is that it hasn't been a space epic... there's room for all sorts of stories in Transformers.