IDW TF newbie questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Stormgard, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Stormgard

Stormgard Member

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to TF2005, a couple of you may recognize me from the Hisstank site. I had a bunch of Transformers as a kid, and have not started collecting again, but as with G.I.Joe, I have been getting into the comics.

I've been enjoying the current TF IDW series through the TPBs ("For all Mankind", "International Incident", etc) and the entire "All Hail Megatron" series that I guess came before that. I just picked up "Last Stand of the Wreckers", which everyone raves about, although I haven't started reading it yet.

I see that there is another IDW series from before this again, and I am considering getting started collecting it - here's the first in the batch:

Amazon.com: Transformers: The IDW Collection Volume 1 (9781600106675): Simon Furman, Eric Holmes, Shane McCarthy, Nick Roche, Alex Milne, E.J. Su, M. D. Bright: Books

A couple of questions - um a whole bunch of questions, actually:

1 Is this series in any way related storyline-wise to the original Marvel series from the '80s, or is it a complete reboot?

2 Does this other IDW series happen before the events of AHM, or is it a completely separate unrelated continuity?

3 This may sound like a silly question, but is there content in these books that I already have if I have the four AHM TPBs? I'm thinking of the spotlights in particular. For example, is the Cliffjumper spotlight in this IDW series different from the Cliffjumper spotlight in the AHM series?

4 Just how long did this series go on for? IDW have 3 books out already, with a fourth one coming in June. Is this the whole series?

5 And if the fourth volume does not complete the series, how many more will there be; and can one reasonably assume that they will in fact complete the series of these hardcover books? (I'm tring to figure how much it will cost for me to collect the whole series.)

6 Are there any other thoughts or general tips regarding this IDW series? I've heard that the chronolgy jumps around a lot, and I can probably roll with that.

Thanks!

2. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

1) Complete reboot from the old 80's Marvel stuff
    2) Technically it happens before AHM but there are a few continuity issues as AHM was originally written (and to my knowledge this is speculation) as a standalone and was shoe-horned into the normal universe with a slapped on 'One year later'
    3, 4 and 5) The complete Collections are a collection of the mini-series so far. So it includes: Megatron;Origins, Infiltration, Escalation, Devastation (refered to as the 'ation' series), Stormbringer, the first three volumes of Spotlight, Spotlight Revelations, and I believe Maximum Dinobots. Then there's the AHM books.
    After that there's the current 'Ongoing series' with: For All Mankind, Internation Incident etc, along with the Bumblebee Mini, the Ironhide Mini, The Drift Mini.
    6) You'll find plenty of opinions and whatnot in the comic forum, and it varies incrediably so I'm not gonna try and sum it up here.

Hope that helps you some

3. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

This is the one question I can answer. There have been three (major) ongoing G1 series: Marvel, Dreamwave, and IDW. Each of these take place in its own distinct continuity.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Somehow, the answer to both of these questions is yes.

/unhelpful snark

5. Stormgard

Stormgard Member

Ah, so you're basically saying that the Complete Collections go up from the very beginning of the IDW run up til around the time when current paperback TBPs like the minis take over? And they take place I guess after Complete Collections but before For All Mankind or something like that?

6. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDW Publishing - Transformers Wiki

This page has a list of all the stuff in order, with the spotlights for the most part taking place at random points (you can work out where)

7. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

:lol 

Yeah, as a bit of random advice to the OP, don't expect rock-solid continuity in plot or characterization. There are multiple writers involved, and they don't always agree or follow up on each other's previous work. If you want to enjoy IDW's comics, it's best just to go with the flow and try not to get hung up on details.

8. Stormgard

Stormgard Member

Gotcha, thanks! I just received all three of the current Collections, and they're really nice looking. It looks like they've compiled the issues in a way they've described as their "recommended reading order" which is a sort compromise between chronological order and publishing order.

I just finished the Megatron Origins story arc, which was overall strong and left me feeling excited about the rest of the series, but the artwork was at times pretty confusing and more showy than anything else. Before I started on that, I read through LSOTW, which was stunning.

At any rate, it's nice to be onboard :) 

9. DecepsRule7

DecepsRule7 Active Member

Hey there Stormgard,

If you were a fan of the original continuity and would like to see it continued, please sign our petition here:

Restart Original Transformers Continuity From #81 with SIMON FURMAN Petition

This campaign was kicked off by myself and another member of the IDW forums, inspired by the continuation of GI Joe: ARAH. If you want to find out more about this, Newsarama picked up the story a few weeks ago.

Newsarama.com : Fans Petition for New TRANSFORMERS Comic Based on Old Series

Hope you enjoy the current IDW TF verse that you're beginning to experience. It's fun and the upcoming Chaos event sounds like it's going to be great. So you've picked a good time to jump on board.

10. GatoSamurai

GatoSamurai Well-Known Member

Hi, im new here but a long time fan from Transformers. I want to buy the IDW comics, but im a bit lost. How will you buy the series right now?

I´ve searched through the forums but i have still some doubts, because i have seen the new TPBs Transformers: The IDW Collection and i dont know if i should buy those or the older TPB. Which are better? what comics are still not compilated on those TPB? Also, im from Spain, so could you please tellme a few online comic shops from USA and UK where i could buy those comics? I have seen them on Amazon but iim sure there must be cheaper shops.

Thanks again, and sorry for my bad grammar.

11. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember perfectly the details of all the TPBs, but I'm pretty sure the IDW collections are the way to go. They include everything at a decent price, and in timeline order not publishing order if I remember correctly. I see no reason not to pick up those instead of hunting down individual TPBs. After you finish those, you should be able to pick up TPBs of the stuff afterward or maybe even a IDW collection Vol.3 might be out by then.

As for places to buy, I'm not quite sure, Some others may be able to help you more with that one. I'm willing to bet amazon will have the best price, though. They tend to be best price on just about everything.

Also man, don't apologize for your grammar. Your, and from what I've seen most other non-native English speakers, grammar is far better than most of the English speakers you see on the internet :lol .

12. GatoSamurai

Thanks for your fast response. I´ve just checked Amazon and the 4th Collectors TPB is out, so i think the only series left is All Hail Megatron, which is pretty strange because i though AHM was before MAximum Dinobot, right? And MD is included on the 4th TPB.

Thanks for your grammar coment, now im more self-confident :D 

13. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maximum Dinobots is the end of the Furman run. It's tying up the lose ends before the almost complete continuity reboot of AHM, so MD is before AHM. I'm shocked they're up to 4 already. I'm not paying enough attention :lol . I'd imagine a new one has to be in the works if AHM isn't in a complete collection. There has to be a collection with AHM, the first few sections of Ongoing, Bumblebee, Drift, and ,my personal favorite, Last Stand of the Wreckers coming. Even if you don't end up liking the other IDW series, LSotW is a MUST read. It's easily the best IDW has to offer.

14. GatoSamurai

Im so week... i´ve just ordered the first TPB Collection on Amazon xD

Thanks for all :) 

15. Stormgard

Stormgard Member

From my understanding, having now bought the first three IDW collections, they are sequenced in "suggested reading order" which is a combination of chronological and published order.

The IDW collections really do look nice, but I'm assuming there are various character profiles etc that were in the individual issues I am missing this way.

16. Stormgard

Stormgard Member

OK, here's a question. It looks like IDW is going to release the complete AHM series in two separate versions:

Amazon.com: Transformers: The IDW Collection Volume 5 (9781613770528): Shane McCarthy, Simon Furman, Mike Costa, Andy Schmidt, Denton J. Tipton, Zander Cannon, Nick Roche, Guido Guidi, Casey Coller, E.J. Su, Robert Deas, Emiliano Santalucia, Don Figu

352 pages, released November, 2011

Amazon.com: Transformers: The Complete All Hail Megatron HC (9781600109553): Shane McCarthy, Simon Furman, Andy Schmidt, Mike Costa, Josh Van Rekk, Shaun Knowler, Nick Roche, Guido Guidi, Casey Coller, E.J. Su, Robert Deas, Emiliano Santalucia, Don F

492 pages, released July 5, 2011

What is the point of packaging the same product in two ways and releasing it in two separate versions? Also, what is the explanation for the page discrepancy? If the version coming out in July is going to have additional content, what is the impetus for anyone to buy the version coming out in November?

Are there simply enough collector/completists out there who will buy both versions that it makes sense financially to do this?

17. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I guess it's one for folks who want it in reading order (with spotlights and stuff) and folks who want just an AHM collection.

18. DecepsRule7

DecepsRule7 Active Member

I think that's it exactly. The AHM HC collection will collect all 4 tpb volumes (AHM vol 1 and 2, Spotlight vol 5, and Coda). So for people who just want the entirety of AHM, that's for you.

And for people who are getting the collections and following along with the suggested reading order, Collection Vol 5 will have AHM vol 1 and 2 and some Coda stories. But I believe a lot of the spotlights would and some of the coda's made their way into one of the first 4 collections.

19. Stormgard

Stormgard Member

Ah, makes sense now, thanks.

I picked up AHM by getting the four TPBs, and it's only now that the spotlights are beginning to make more sense (now that I'm getting into the storyline from before then). I can't understand the connection between some of these spotlights and the AHM story - is there any consensus on why they were included in the AHM series in this way?

20. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    this is just one more point for it seeming like total and complete amateur hour at IDW. :rolleyes: