IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SilverOptimus, May 19, 2011.

1. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been wondering what Bebop and Rocksteady have been up too.

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  3. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Eh, pass.

Anything not written by Tom Waltz is usually never as good as the main series, ranging from mediocre to just a waste of time. There are few exceptions but I don't think this one will be one. I wonder when this is supposed to take place though, it's obviously after issue 50 but it's hard to slot in where.

The main series is still so, so good though.

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The first issue of B&RDE was fun! It's written by the same guys who did the very excellent B&R Micro. I wish it didn't rotate artists, but most of the B&R panels are done by Ben Bates, who drew the Micro, so all is forgiven. :) . I look forward to seeing where the setup goes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    EXCLUSIVE: Bebop & Rocksteady Hit The Road in New Weekly TMNT Series

[​IMG]

Hit the Road finds Bebop and Rocksteady on a road trip back to New York City when their powers begin to act up. The pair quickly find themselves in hot water where hilarity and hijinks are sure to follow.

Despite calling them the “most demented characters in the TMNT universe,” senior editor Bobby Curnow believes the series has “unlikely heart.”

“Seeing their trail of utter carnage across the United States will be nothing but a pedal-to-the-metal blast,” Curnow said. “Underneath the chaos though, Ben and Dustin have found the unlikely heart—and friendship—that exists between the characters.”

6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Sorry not sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just started reading this series (again, never made it past around issue 10 previously because of all the mini series and such) thanks to the IDW collections on Comixology Unlimited and this truly is one of the best iterations of TMNT out there, at least at the beginning. About half way through the 1st collection and I'm loving it so far.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I read up to when Tom Waltz’s part in the story ended and I agree. Definitely one of the best, if not the best IMO.

I’ll probably resume my read through once the current section of the story finishes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Just finished the Donatello spotlight and am on issue 7. I really like how the origin in this series ties the Foot/Shredder, Krang/Utroms, Baxter Stockman and April to their origins and also merges the Splinter was Hamato Yoshi/Splinter was a rat aspects while also strengthening the familial bonds between Splinter and the Turtles

• Like Like x 1
  9. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    That’s what I love about it, how all the plot points wind up connecting together.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fenrys

News Credits:
    It's like a perfect blend of all the previous versions of TMNT rolled into one. They even managed to include the feudal Japan Oroku Saki from the 2003 toon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

Maybe they're constipated? It would explain why Raph is so grumpy all the time! :D 

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So I've been reading the original TMNT run that IDW put out in an omnibus at the end of last year and I am amazed at how crazy, and yet, serious, they were. Ralphael drinks beer, the turtles have no qualms about murdering their enemies, and the Umtrons, Triceratons, and Fugitoid were all introduced so quickly. I thought all of the sci-fi aspects were not until later on in the series, only for it to turn out it's in the beginning. They've only encountered the Foot once since the premier issue and Shredder hasn't made a second appearance yet. I thought this was the comic run I read in the early 90s, but nope, it's not it. It's been really good so far and even the stand alone stories have been great, especially the one that I'm guessing is meant to be a tribute to Jack Kirby. My only issue is sometimes it's hard to figure out which turtle I'm looking at due to it being in B&W, but the B&W gives it a very Noir-y feel. I hope it doesn't take them too long to do Volume 2.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I recently learned that the TMNT series my wife has been talking about non-stop for the last 20+ years had been released by IDW in two collections. To make it even better, they even finished up the story, which is something my wife also complained about. :lol  As such, I picked them up for her for our anniversary.

[​IMG]

Oh, and my read of the first omnibus has been going great. I've only got 4 issues left and am saddened as I've been enjoying it a lot. Fortunately, a Volume 2 was just announced, but it doesn't come out until Sept (and appears to be missing several issues). Right after my last post, Shredder returned to burn down April's home and the gang is now chilling at Casey's farmhouse. They've taken on his cousin, met a super hero, and took out some psychopathic terrorists.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Finished the first IDW collection volume, so now I can finally move on to stories I haven't read yet. Even though I had previously read the entirety of the Vol 1 contents, it's still probably my favorite opening arc for a TMNT series.

15. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I finished the omnibus and highly enjoyed it. I am a bit saddened that it didn't cover the turtles returning to NYC though. I had no idea they hung out at Casey's place for so long in the comics. It's kind of cool.

The issue that introduced Rat King was damn awesome as it was like a horror story with the turtles in it. Hell, Rat King himself was damn creepy and way better than how he was portrayed in any cartoon series that I've seen.

I have to say I am surprised at how true to life the one comic that featured some terrorists calling themselves "Patriots" was. Even to this day we clearly has psychopaths like those guys.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    I'm about 50% of the way through IDW collection 3 and in the City Fall/brainwashed Leo arc. This comic really doesn't let up. The turtles rarely get any time to breathe before the next crisis happens, but thus far the story has been excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Finally got to my first issue that I didn't really like. The annual that introduces Renet. Just wasn't really as good as the rest of the series up to this point.

18. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Which character is that again?

19. Fenrys

News Credits:
    The time traveler that talks like a valley girl bimbo

20. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Oh right…