IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SilverOptimus, May 19, 2011.

1. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I liked Woody Dirkens in this month's issue of TMNT. He's based on IDW's retail manger, Dirk Wood.

2. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

Where do i start with this?
    Like, thats an honest question. I want to start reading it. I picked up the "Change is Constant" TPB, I've yet to read it, but i'd like to read everything as a complete cohesive unit, in order. like the IDW collections for TF's and the UK Classics, and Classics... Any help? I see theres a few different hardcovers.. But they make no sense to me, its not as easy as the transformer series. Any help?

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's very simple if you're just talking new-IDW continuity.

"Change Is Constant" collects issues #1-4
    Issues #5-7 have also been released in single issue form.
    There are also four "one-off" specials/micro-series: One for each of the Turtles

THAT'S IT! Very easy to catch up on.

The only other release so far from IDW has been the "Ultimate Collection v1" hardback; this contains the first set of issues from way back in 1984/85 from Eastmain and Laird. SEPARATE CONTINUITY (like the TF UK/US Classics) but quite easy to read as their own thing).

4. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

so cool i have alot turtle comics and glad to see mr.eastman is still doing TMNT i meet him back in the day!

5. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

So I'm basically picking it up right at the start? Thats a relief. Is this the same as the global conquest edition? Or what are they about? Is there an easy way to get a hold of the micro series... from what i can tell, Michelangelo's issue is sold out everywhere....

6. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just ordered the first TPB off Amazon for IDW's TMNT. Couldn't be more anxious!

Anyone have the Ultimate Hardcover yet?

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I have been so tempted by those hardcovers, but in the end, I have to say I prefer my old First Comics colorized versions to the original murky black and whites. I'm sure that transgresses against some kind of purist notion of what old indie B&W comics should be, but the colour versions were so nicely done. Mine are showing their age... if they reissued those, I'd be on them in a half-second!

zmog

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I love the artist who's drawing the Infestation issues of TMNT. His drawings are two dimensional but that's okay when it comes to drawing the ninja turtles. Here's hoping he will work on the ongoing soon.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Microseries TPB - and v2 of the Ongoing (collecting issues #5-8, after "Change Is Constant" collected #1-4) - are released in June/July I think. Personally, I'm sticking to TPB for this series, much easier to manage!

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

With only 4 issues in an 18 dollar trade, I'll stick with the singles issues. IDW really should try to look at their competitors prices and try to match them.

11. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just read the latest issue in the series and it was awesome. I think the whole series have been great so far. I am really digging the new origin story and now the Shredder! I look forward to this and the micro series every month more than any other comic I collect, simply amazing

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I recently got into this run of TMNT comics, and figured it couldn't hurt to revive the main thread for it. I was actually kinda surprised to see just how long this was dead for.

Anyways, I had read the first trade about a year or so ago, but didn't get hooked on IDW's Turtles till this year's FCBD comic. I've got quite a bit to get caught up on,l but it shouldn't be too terribly difficult. Especially with the IDW collection hardcover editions starting up for this.

That said, I do plan on collecting all of the single issues that I've missed so-far. Well, almost all of them. I do plan on skipping the two Infestation issues. I checked out one of the Transformers IDW collections, and while they're nice, and I plan on getting the TMNT ones they're doing, there's just something about the individual issues that they can't quite replace. I guess I'm just weird like that.

Anyways, what little of the story I've read has been really good, and I love the artwork. I hope this run of Turtles comics lasts for a good long time.

13. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

It's one of my favourite monthlies and I love the ever expanding universe.

My only problem with the series is the fact the first fucking issue "Change is Constant" has a giant fucking spelling mistake in the title and no one seems to have noticed it.

[​IMG]

"chagne"???

Seriously, this has been pissing me off since day one, and it's been reprinted I don't know how many times. I've tweet them and everything, nada.
    PLS.

14. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I'm very gradually catching up on it. It's good, if a little slow on the pacing.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That's... interesting. I've seen my fair share of typos in comics, but never one on the cover like that. Kinda surprising that they apparently haven't fixed it for any of the reprints.

It's good to see some on here are still into the series. I was beginning to wonder if I had bumped this thread for no reason.

16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I checked out a few issues, because I heard the 2014 film had (loosely) based the Turtles's origin on this storyline. The origin -
    the Shredder slays Hamato Yoshi and his four sons in ancient Japan, then has his life extended through magic throughout the centuries to face off with the Yoshi family reincarnated as a rat and four turtles
    - comes off as overly complex (with the reincarnation thing feeling rather contrived), but then this is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, if we take it too seriously it'd be spoiling the surrealism and fun of it. And it's as good an origin as most of the others in the TMNT canon.

Anyway, past the origin the story kicks into high gear and does a lot of great stuff. The main characters are more or less the same and are written/revised well, but it's the story and new characters that are filled with surprises and work out great. Alopex and Kitsune the foxes make for great characters, as do Hob the cat and Herman the Hermit crab. And the story does shake things up well -
    Leo joining the Foot and Donatello beaten to near-death
    - in an engaging manner that leaves repercussions and consequences to explore for the Turtles and their allies/enemies.

So far, it's a good and enjoyable series. I don't really have any serious complaints about it and I find it interesting enough to want to see more of it.

17. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I actually really love the reincarnation origin, just makes the already strong family bond they have even stronger, and I feel it makes the connection between the foot and krang an stuff a lot better.

18. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Good man.

It's not spelled that way?

19. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

No, it's not spelt Chagne, it's spelt Change. The title of the arc is "Change is Constant" and in the book it's spelt "Chagne is Constant"

20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I should've thrown a wink after my last post. lol.