IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SilverOptimus, May 19, 2011.

1. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This art looks great.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    He had sold his shares to Laird who in turn shit all over the franchise with his complete non-caring attitude.

I'm excited to see what Eastman can do with them without Laird's involvement. Can't be any worse than what Image did to them. (Hopefully more like the originals or the Archie run, which IMO was the best - and BTW, we still never got the Forever War).

3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I would just like a nice "City at War" trade.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Obviously not classic Turtles fans. The gritted teeth grimaces are trademark TMNT, y'all. Old. School. Represent.

Holy crap... is that from the new series?? That's like something straight out of the golden age! Woot! :thumb 

I've got them too... the hand-coloured ones, right? Those are great!

Damn, I'm going to have to check out this 2003 versino of TMNT!

Yeah, I agree. I prefer the classic red masks, but I totally understand why they went for colour-coded masks, and I don't think it really hurts them otherwise. Though I had the coloured graphic novels (mentioned above), so the red sashes are pretty much cemented in my mind.

I know, right?? So few people have any clue, it seems, that TMNT was actually a fairly legit, fairly GOOD, indie adventure comic series. The big sell-out of the late 80's really dealt a blow to their reputation (and made lots of money for their creators, admittedly).

Word. I remember I couldn't manage to get all the issues when they were released back in the day. I still don't know how it ended. :cry 

I'm looking forward to this. I think that Turtles could handle a reboot (though I'm also not sure if they really need one), so long as the basics don't get changed needlessly. Honestly, I feel like it'd be better just to reprint a bunch of the early and most important storylines (Return to New York, City at War), ignore the really wacked-out stuff that the guest artists did (I can live without Complete Carnage and Radical), and start from there.

I liked Eastman AND Laird's stuff, as well as Eric Talbot, Craig Farley and Steve Lavigne... Michael Dooney and Jim Lawson (ugh!) considerably less so.

zmog

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    It's my all-time favorite TV show. It was so good until it continued into "TMNT: Fast Forward," which I still enjoyed but not as much as seasons 1-5.

For those who haven't seen it, there was a 3-part miniseries called "Turtles Forever" that features the Turtles from the '80s teaming up with the Turtles from the 2003 Fox series via inter-dimensional travel. There's a scene in the third episode I think you guys would like :) 

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't know how I missed the fact that they are doing a collection of classic Mirage books.

VERY excited for all of this!

Go Ninja, go ninja, go ninja, GO!

7. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #2 - September 2011

Written by Tom Waltz and Kevin Eastman, layouts by Eastman, art by Dan Duncan, covers by Duncan and Walter Simonson.

The Turtle brothers are separated! With one of their own lost, the Turtles struggle to train, fight, and find their own place in the world. A brand new villain seeks revenge and hints about the Turtles origin are revealed! A new mythology for Turtles in the 21st century is being built--and the story is just beginning to rev up!

32 pages, $3.99.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    The Hembeck homage cover RULES.

9. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Who this new villain that is revenge on the Turtles?

10. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I know I will probaly be in the minority but I would love to see some of the villains from the 80s cartoon and toy range included in this series but handled in a more serious manner. Krang as a fugative Utrom, Slash, the Mutanimals etc.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Sigh. Such love for the 2003 cartoon on my part, but the fact Eastman's doing a reboot on his own gives me hope.

I prefer the colored headbands and pupil-less eyes. Don't know how they're going to top the 2003 show, even Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers, and especially the fanwank from Turtles Forever. It was like the Turtles got the Animated treatment.

12. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    October 2011

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #3​

[​IMG]

Written by Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, art by Eastman and Dan Duncan, covers by Duncan, Eastman
    32 pages, $3.99.

The rebirth of the Ninja Turtles continues! New twists in the Turtles' origin are revealed as Raphael continues his life apart from his brothers and uncovers danger with his new pal Casey Jones. The only result can be some serious street brawlin'! Meanwhile villainous Old Hob has his eyes and ears to the ground and he only has one thought on his mind -- bloody revenge! Will the Turtles be reunited in time to stop his plan, or will they be picked off one by one?

Attached Files:

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    #1 comes out this week.

14. SilverOptimus

News Credits:
    IDW November 2011 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Solicitations

IDW November 2011 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Solicitations​

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #4​

[​IMG]

Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman (w) • Eastman (layouts) • Dan Duncan (a) Duncan, Eastman (c)

The climactic conclusion to the Turtles' triumphant return to comics! The final pieces of the Turtles' mysterious origin are revealed as the Turtles move closer to finding their lost brother Raphael. There's just one thing in their way... an angry, mangy mutant alley cat named Old Hob... and he's got an entire gang to back him up! It's a battle royale on the mean streets of New York and Turtles lore will be forever rewritten! Don't miss it!

*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 4-to-1 ratio (4 Dan Duncan, 1 Kevin Eastman)
    *Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant covers:
    Black and white variant of the Kevin Eastman cover!
    Fred Hembeck spoof cover

Bullet points:
    End of the climactic first story arc that tells the new Turtles origin story!
    Layouts and co-plotting by Kevin Eastman, original co-creator of TMNT!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Ultimate Edition, Vol. 2​

[​IMG]

Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird (w & a & c)

The classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action continues in the second volume of IDW's ULTIMATE COLLECTIONS! In this outing find issues #8–11, along with the Michaelangelo, Leonardo and Donatello "micro-series" one-shots. Presented in oversize hardcover, you've never seen the TURTLES like this.

HC B/W $49.99 256 pages 9” x 12” ISBN: 978-1-61377-088-7

Bullet points:
    Includes annotations from Eastman & Laird!
    Features another incredible new wrap-around cover by Eastman!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Micro-series #1: Raphael​

[​IMG]

Brian Lynch (w) • Franco Urru (a) • David Peterson, Urru (c)

Following in the tradition of the original TMNT microseries comes the first of four stand-alone tales centering on each Turtle. Raphael's place in the world is uncertain and he can't shake the feeling that he'll always be an outsider. That changes when he finds another mutant, the arctic fox Alopex, who may have a new clue pertaining to the Turtles origin. Unfortunately she's too busy being hunted alive to share the info! Will Raphael and his new friend survive the night? The Angel: After the Fall team of Brian Lynch and Franco Urru reveal all! Well, some, anyway!

*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 4-to-1 ratio (4 David Peterson, 1 Franco Urru)

*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Variant covers:
    David Peterson black & white variant cover!
    “Retro” variant edition, featuring a re-mastered original Kevin Eastman Raphael Micro-Series cover!

Bullet points:
    Blockbuster Angel: After the Fall team of Lynch and Urru reunited!
    New character Alopex designed by Kevin Eastman—his first new design for the TMNT world in over 15 years!
    Cover by David “Mouse Guard” Peterson!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    HOLY SHIT! Bryan Lynch writing a TMNT story? SOLD!

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Judging by the synopses, it sounds like mutant animals are only slightly more common in New York than hot dog vendors. :inquisiti 

Other than that, I'm pretty hyped about this... :D 

zmog

17. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Anyone pick it up? How was it?

18. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked it up, read it Friday night and thought it was very mediocre. The art is good. The red head bands and literal throwing out of pizza and cowabunga were good. Overall though, it was way too short. The story seemed about 1/10th of an origin story, ending before it ever got going. They set up a bunch of plot threads, nearly all of which were rehashed from previous incarnations and very predictable, but the issue itself had no story to speak of. At this pace it seems like they're going to drag out the rebooted origin for the next year or so. I may just wait for the trades on this one.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  19. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    I agree, it seemed like typical IDW fare... only a small fraction of the story that you'll forget about before the next issue comes out.

But I am interested in this, so I'll stick with it for the first "arc" at least.

20. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    because i can never pass an opportunity to pick on IDW, i have to point out that based on an average standard page count of 22 pages an issue, that Ultimate collection would be $4.50 an issue at full MSRP ~ except apparently some of these were oversized, as there is actually only 7 issues in it by the solicitation: which works out to $7.14 an issue.

and apparently it's black and white!!! (meaning, cheaper to print than the much longer TF Ultimate collection they sell for the same price)