IDW Rodimus thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Rexidus, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As much as I'm enjoying Whirl, Rodimus is one of my favorite characters. And seeing him be this awesome in the books is sure helping that. As someone said, those who hate him because of what Megatron did in the 86 movie should read these books.

I love his character description in the annual. He's cocky but beneath that he's self conscious, but beneath THAT he believes he's better than everyone. Totally nailed his character to a T.

TILL ALL ARE ONE!

2. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I like IDW Hot Rod(imus), I think they've handled both his impetuousness, and his impending maturity well. I love how at the moment he's always scrawiling on things, his desk with his laser finger, or his knife, or on Tailgate's chest. I like how people want to follow him because he's charismatic and fun, despite his fuck ups, rather than just because the matrix chose him, and he's being built up to be something big rather than 'hey here's Hot Rod, oh look, now he's leader!'

Plus he gets some killer lines.

That 'Til All Are One montage and that whole conversation had me creased up!

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Agree with the comments so far. Roberts has done a great job of giving Rodimus a very memorable personality, one that meshes his classic Hot Rod personality with a tad bit of the Rodimus Prime he eventually became. I believe the job he did is even more significant because of the turnaround from the really bad character work Costa gave him a few years earlier, at which point I absolutely detested Hot Rod. Love how he turned that annoying ambitious arrogant @$$hole into the more complicated but believable cocky, yet self conscious but still arrogant captain of the Lost Light.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    This is the best interpretation of Rodimus ever.

5. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I don't like Rodimus at all in IDW. His skinny faux animated design looks awful. It looks like a bunch of red and yellow pipes screwed together with a colorful children's party plate as the face. I can't imagine him fighting anyone in that condition, let alone Megatron or Galvatron.

His personality is more like Rodimus Prime than Hot Rod... less reckless and more depressing. His choice of second in command makes him look like he's not fit to lead. I don't care if the war is over, you don't have an ex-Decepticon as your right hand man. In the G1 cartoon ex-Decepticon Skyfire was accepted into the Autobots, but Prime showed him his true place among them in the episode "Fire on the Mountain". He patted Skyfire on the nosecone like he was the family dog.

6. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    eh the guys alright.

7. Uncle Madness

Uncle Madness Well-Known Member

Drift is 3rd in command Ultra Magnus is 2nd.

8. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Nah, I'm a Rodimus fan and I still don't like him. It's not that each writer writes him in a bad way, it's that all four writers so far [Furman, McCarthy, Costa and Roberts] write him very differently in-between them.

Furman's Hot Rod was a broody and moody individual, much too serious and badass. Guy was a unit leader, went solo, tracked down the magnificense, dealt with the headmaster thing alone [almost got killed because of it], killed Doubledealer to face his inner demons and all that.

McCarthy's Hot Rod was sidelined, to be honest, but he was too cheerful and written in a more childish, more 1986 Rod way. He never exhumed any leadership status from Furman's run.

Costa went ahead and made him selfish and generally unlikeable, which was probably his intention until he got the matrix and had the experience with the aliens and Wheelie. The dude stole a spaceship from Magnus and rushed to the decepticon stronghold, got the matrix and almost got killed for it. At the end he was seen as a dependable commander type.

Roberts seems to have taken elements from all three into a weird mix. He's very arrogant, childlike at times, but what bugs me is that even when there's casualties he doesn't really seem to care that much if it brings about any more adventures. He has a way of not caring at all for his crew if it brings the mission forward or sidelines it [sparkeater with shock, hostage situation with Rung, whole engine thing with ore at the annual]...

The only other character I can think of that's been written like that is Starscream, same treatment.

9. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Oops! You're right. Regardless, Drift shouldn't be so high up. The dude is unstable.

10. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Draft has shown no signs of mental instability. He's shown grief. And being a former decepticon does not make him an awful person.

11. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

1)He pulled a sword on his doctor. If he's not crazy, he's stupid.

2) Drift has killed hundreds, maybe thousands of Autobots. That makes him an awful Autobot. I think Ratchet should kill him now.

12. Rexidus

News Credits:
    You have no sense of how people can change. He pulled the sword because Ratchet has constantly been pushing him and this time he pushed when people who were practically family to Drift had potentially been slaughtered. Do you know what happens when normal people are put in that situation? They lash out. That's all the drawn sword was.

Drift, as a Decepticon killed Autobots. Then he had a profound change of heart. And now he seeks to atone for what he's done. He's also killed Decepticons so that would make him an awful Decepticon.

I'm super glad you aren't writing for this.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    If 1984 dislikes it, it MUST be good!

14. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde And there you have it...

from what i've seen of his posts, i'd agree.

15. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Drink spluttered over laptop, but I'm inclined to agree with this!

16. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was never a fan until now. I hated him since I was a kid because he replaced Optimus. I think they are really developing him into one of the best characters in the tf universe right now.