IDW Responds to BW Sourcebook #1 Feedback

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=2512

Chris Ryall has responded to some of the feedback from fans regarding the errors in the Beast Wars Sourcebook #1. Although he does mention that they underwent editor/staff changes during the development of this issue (and #2), he does openly accept blame for the errors reaching the final release.

On a positive note, these errors (and likely any - if they exist - errors in future issues) will be fixed for the trade paperback.

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    This is one of the reasons I like IDW actually, the staff are very interactive with the fanbase and will come out and apologise if things like this happen. We all know cockups happen, it's just nice that they acknowledge it and say sorry rather than burying their heads in the sand.

Although I have to say if I bought the Beast Wars Sourcebook I wouldn't know an error if it bit me on the ass ;) 

3. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Print an addendum in #4 with the corrected material for free.

I think the corrected trade in the face of flawed issues is asking purchasers to buy it all again when I wanted the correct technical content the first time. The communication is good by IDW, the corrective action sounds poor when I've dumped $7 in already and am looking to dump $21 more into the series.

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

^^^I agree with Tusko.

I can't complain about IDW's customer service, though. They actually confess to their mistakes, apologize, and tell us it'll be fixed. That's 2 out of 3. I only have nice things to say about their interactivity, which is boat loads superior to Marvel and DC with their "WE ARE KING! WE'RE NEVER WRONG!" attitudes.

Darn thing is, I don't want to buy the books again. If there's an error, I don't want to hear it'll be fixed for the trade, because I don't intend to buy the trade. I don't buy DVDs twice regardless of how much extra content, and I don't buy books twice either.

As much as I don't like the "We'll fix it in the trade," however, I realize that at least they do even that. For every IDW, there are several companies that don't even fix things for the trade. I just think it's kind of half hearted to openly admit that there is a mistake, and then to say it'll be fixed if you buy it again.

They could, for example, have the problematic pages available for free on their website. Or reprint the problematic pages in the next issue. SOMETHING.

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Welcome to Dreamwave's More Than Meets The Eye profile books, people. Didn't the MTMTE books undergo a series of staff changes during development as well, resulting in books with often questionable art from overworked artists?

6. MattMoylan

MattMoylan Well-Known Member

Flipped through this in the store. I'm not really feeling the layouts in this book. Most notably that the artwork seems so small. Not for lack of space though, there's a ton of empty space on most every page.

I'd much prefer if it they maximized the artwork, like it was done in the Armada profile books. (Layed out by the spectacularly talented and handsome Matt Moylan!)

A few pages if you want to see what I mean:

http://mattmoylan.deviantart.com/art/Armada-MTMTE-interiors-4-15408729

http://mattmoylan.deviantart.com/art/Armada-MTMTE-interiors-3-15408646

http://mattmoylan.deviantart.com/art/Armada-MTMTE-interiors-1-15408509

I"ll think about getting the trade though... hmmm...

7. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I don't think its fair comparison. Dreamwave is one animal. IDW, to me seems completely different. Large projects will always be difficult to champion, edit and execute.

I don't mind delays on comics like this. This month, next month... the Beast Wars ended 10 years ago. However if you are marketing a comic on the basis that its a technical guide, get the facts right. Always produce your best work now, because a revisional attitude is slippery slope regardless of what business you are in.

8. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Luckily I haven't picked this up yet, didn't have enough cash on me at the time to get the sourcebook, Devastation 1 and Ascending 1 so I opted for the last two lol I guess I'll pick up the trade :) 

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I haven't looked at the ish #1 feedback thread yet, since I don't have the comic, but how many/what were the mistakes?

10. oldtimer48

oldtimer48 Finish It Now!

I picked the BW Sourcebook 1 along with Devastation 1 and BW the Ascending 1 and I did notice some of the mistakes and or missing artwork. Now while I am not happy about this I am glad to see IDW owning up to its mistakes and promising to fix them in the TPB. I would have preferred to not have to get this extra book but I will because I am a completist. BTW we are all human and prone to make mistakes........as long as we keep those mistakes to a minimum I will be happy.

Now besides all of that BW Sourcebook 1 was OUTSTANDING and I am eagerly awaiting the next issue!!! :dj 

11. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I never buy mini-series issues in the first place, so its good to hear that the corrections will be made for the TPB release.

Though I do understand everyone else's point of view.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
  13. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey Ryall, just send me a gold-colored BB and all is forgiven! :lol 

14. Esquilax79

Esquilax79 Decepticon Cassette

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Agreed... plus once again they're punishing people by purchasing the individual issues and not waiting for the trades to come out. Just like with the TF movie remake. We hinted there was going to be something new but no.... you have to buy it again to see what's new. Lame!

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Just a few examples for my problems with this issue.

Where shall I start? The coloring errors? Blackarachnia is several shades of BRIGHT ORANGE. Too bad it's TM2 Blackarachnia that's being depicted. BB is also orange. He looks like a Sunstorm repaint, even though the mold was never actually available in those colors. Even Ben Yee admits that error in his notes.

There are various pages credited to artists who PUBLICALLY DENY having drawn those particular pages.

IMPORTAND MAJOR characters like Archadis, Bigmos or Cohrada get double-page spreads. Meanwhile, neglegible characters like Blackarachnia, Dinobot or Depthcharge get restricted to one page.

As a result, characters with multiple incarnations are only shown in one form. Sometimes even the robot mode in one incarnation and the beast mode in another one.

Also, the profiles are mostly "This character is cool, but in battle he gets FURIOUS". Most of them have a weakness that's either "arrogance" or a "fire one shot into a specific spot on the chest for maximum damage". The show characters' profiles are totally lifeless, the text is short, the images are small and a large porting of the page is needlessly BLANK.

Even the errors aside, I can't believe this thing was over a year in the works considering how half-hearted the result feels.

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

So far I'm loving every page of it! :) 

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I was planning on wating for the TPB on this.
    It sounds like the errors are pretty bad. So, they show Black Arachnia in one form only? Weird. That is not like IDW's usually excellent work.

And, Matt, that is a great layout on the Armada Profiles.
    I did not realize that was you until now.

18. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Good thing I was planning to wait for the trade paperback for this, glad to see they're going to fix the errors. :) 

19. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Being somebody who's comic shop didn't have the Sourcebook in stock, I'd like to know who the first entry was and who the last entry was or if IDW did the Dreamwave 'sub-groups and combiners are listed together' schtick.

I'll probably buy the error-filled issue one because I like opening my comic books wide (sexual innuendo?), something that the trade-paperbacks can't do without bending the cover to hell and back.

Also, is there any total BS in there like in MTMTE? Goldbug with no physical weaknesses, anyone?

20. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Sub-groups aren't listed together - however the subgroups ARE mentioned in the entries.

The only ones without physical weaknesses that I recall are Unicron's heralds and Antagony (but Antagony DOES have a psychological weakness)

From memory, I think it ended in the 'D's or something.