IDW Regeneration one

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by comicstar100, Apr 29, 2012.

1. comicstar100

comicstar100 New Member

Ok guys I need a little help. I ordered Regeneration One but I haven read any of the old marvel series. Where exactly should I start?

2. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

There's supposed to be 100(?) page one shot collecting the final five issues of the Marvel run coming out the same month (maybe week even) as Regen 1. Er, 81. Since it's the story arc that leads directly into Regen, that I guess.

Other than that, I guess just get the IDW collections of the Marvel run - I think they're called Transformers Classics.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'd read maybe the first dozen or so issues and then #56-80 in whatever format you can get them, and that will have you pretty well up to speed.

The first 5 issues give you the origin, 6-9 really set the stage along with bringing in the Dinobots, and by #12, you have a pretty good idea what the series was like.

Then #56-80 is the entire run by the writer who will be writing Regeneration One.

4. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    You don't really have to read the older series actually, it just adds to the reading experience I think

5. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow... Ok, 1-12 sets the tone. 17-18 is the return to Cybertron issues and sets the status quo there. 24-27 removes Prime and Megatron from the playing field for a whole and sets up Grimlock as the new leader. 28-37 isn't necessary, but is the adventures of Blaster and Goldbug on the run from Grimlock. Headmasters 1-4 and 38-50 set another new direction as we go out with the old and in with the new. 56-75 are the build up to the battle with Unicron. 76-80 is the quick and dirty end...

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I just think most of the Budiansky run is skippable. It's kind of dry to begin with and probably won't have much relevance to what goes on in the new series. The Headmasters material in particular, while important to me, was nearly completely ignored during the Furman run, except for Fort Max/Spike.

7. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

It's Free Comic Book day. Where is Regeneration One? I hope it will be available for download, considering the whole purpose of free comic book day is to get people into the stores.

8. bumblebee-prime

bumblebee-prime Elite Guard

can some-one pick up a copy of the free comic book day comic for me or consider selling me their copy after they read it. it was all sold out around me.

9. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Will IDW let me subscribe to this series, and ship it directly to me? If anyone has done this with other IDW series, does it work out well (arrive on time and in good shape)? Any idea when subscriptions will open?

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If you want to order comics online, try Discount Comic Book Service - save up to 35% on comic books, statues, hardcovers and retail products

They're probably the most respected and widely-used online monthly comic ordering service, and you'll get your comics a lot cheaper that way, too. And yeah, you'll get them in good shape that way. They pack their stuff well.

11. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ Awesome. Thank you. My local shop is kind of out of the way for me to go each month.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Why is it, that Megatron is still Megatron and not Galvatron? I thought the events of the movie occured in the comics as well?

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    In the Marvel UK series, yes. In the Marvel US series, no.

And it's even more confusing because Marvel US did do a comic book adaptation of the movie. It's just not part of the regular comic's continuity. In US Marvel continuity, the showdown between the Transformers and Unicron happened completely differently. Optimus was still alive (and already a Powermaster), and Decepticon Thunderwing had possession of the Matrix. It also took place in the "present day" of 1991 rather than the "future" of 2005, as in the movie.

In the Marvel US continuity, Galvatron was snatched from an alternate timeline future by Unicron to use against the Cybertronians of the present day. He then rebelled at his first opportunity and followed his own agenda.

14. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, it's even more confusing than that.
    In the UK comics, there were some stories that picked up after the events of the movie, introducing a handful of characters like Scourge and Cyclonus and obviously, Galvatron.
    However, there are multiple versions of these characters involved, from alternate realities where 'the movie' may or may not have happened, and the origin of said characters is open to debate. For example, Scourge and Cyclonus appear on Nebulos, years before they're 'created' by Unicron.
    As I say, it's complicated.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Extremely. But in simplest terms, the Marvel UK series incorporated the movie when it came out (even if they used the year 2006 instead of 2005), while the Marvel US series completely bypassed the movie.

The key difference is that the UK series made the jump to the "future" along with the cartoon, so we got a lot of stories with Rodimus Prime as leader along with his crew, grown up Spike and his son Daniel, etc.

But the Marvel US series stayed in the "present" and never jumped forward the couple decades to the era of the movie. And yeah Budiansky did make things even more confusing by having the comic book version of the Season 4 events (Headmasters, Targertmasters) happening prior to the era of the movie's events.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't understand some of the variations that follow the titles, so I don't know what to order. There isn't anything I can click to explain or answer my questions. No description to differentiate them. For example, there are like 3 listings for Regeneration 81. One just has that as the title, another has it followed by "10 COPY INCV" and another with "50 COPY INCV". Would that be 10 and 50 copies? Who would need that many copies of a comic?

17. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I think that's the listing for a variant, a 10 copy incentive variant and a 50 copy incentive variant.

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's really for retailers. It means that for every 10 copies of the regular comic they order, they can order one copy of the incentive. And for every 50, they can order one of that incentive.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Woah, that's really strange. I always thought Galvatron came from the future and had somehow fights with Megatron and later in the future he became Galvatron and those events were somewhere between the timeframe of the movie. And I found even that already strange.

I really have to see if I can get some of the US comics. I have mostly the UK comics available. And I still have to read most of them.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Finally, I was so bored because there was nothing else to read and watch and I needed more Transformers so I made my way reading through RG1. The first issues were kind of slow and boring. Later it gets interesting and the further the story progressed, the more I enjoyed it. In Issue #93 I noticed that I even found the art really good. Only thing I disliked was, that even in RG1 they have miscolored bots and cons, like in the old Marvel comics...