IDW Reboot.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by dunerunner123, Apr 29, 2012.

1. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

Now I think this goes without saying, but the Idw comics seem to be coming to an end. especially after reading the pax cybertronia issue, where it seems that all the autobots except for ironhide are either dead or somewhere far far away.
    What i am thinking is that rather than finding some way to continue the series from there, Idw should just start over with a reboot. and who better to write it than James Roberts. I think he has done a magnificent job with more than meets the eye as well as his contributions to last stand. and I think it would be a cool Idea to let him write his own series from the ground up, and see what he does with the transformers. so what do you think? End the series and have a fresh new start? or continue it and delve deeper into what we already have.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Um, I don't think IDW doing a reboot so soon after relaunching the brand.

Also, the Pax Cybertronia issue is set in the FUTURE, and was meant as a potential final issue bookend for the entire TF series in the last series by Mike Costa, they definitely did not continue the new relaunch from there. Are you even reading the new series? The relaunch took place after that issue (not continuity wise), and started with Death of Optimus Prime.

3. dunerunner123

I know they didnt continue it from there, it just feels like we are getting closer to that point in the future because of megatrons disapearance and the the crew of the lost light probably never returning to cybertron. The fact that Idw has so many changes with different writers makes it so that its pretty much already rebooting with each new writer, so after mtmte and rid are done, why not reboot it completely with autobots and decepticons fighting on earth?

4. Star Saber

News Credits:
    If I recall correctly the issue is supposed to take millions of years after the present time. We're definitely not close to that point, besides the new relaunch is still interesting and from what I hear, doing much better sales-wise than the last series. I don't think IDW will rock the boat anytime soon. Also, just wondering, but why do you want them back fighting on earth? The Autobot/Decepticon War is so much bigger than just a small group fighting on earth, as several previous series have shown. Personally I think it's interesting that we're getting stories outside earth without the dumbing down of Autobots/Decepticons and the modern standard of having annoying human politics.

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think they probably need to lock down an art style and character designs and hire some people long term (For at least 8 months in a row). All the changes in staff and art style do them no favours.

And it might be a good idea to move away from any visual style that draws to strongly on Gundam or the Movie Universe for direction... Just look at the sheer volume of different Bumblebee designs there's been.

Where as if you compare that to Dreamwave's Bumblebee it was a little different from previous comic art or the TV show but it was still 100% obviously G1 Bumblebee and so gave no sense of confusion to a reader.

Perhaps Furmans' completion of the Marvel run might give some sense of continuity for an extended period... but I think that dunerunner123's point about Character death will be a problem still as Furman sure likes to kill things off often as he can.

I think the lack of stability and visual continuity along with personality accuracy and constancy is the core point of any ire I sometimes show towards IDW when it comes to their comics. I don't think Perceptor needs to be a Sniper or the idea of Fembots needs to be written as some sort of horrifying mutation or evil experiment - isn't that sort of well 'sexist' ?

I don't know where they can go ... But I do know I'm not exactly personally thrilled with all the places they have been so far.

6. dunerunner123

Millions of years in the future yes, has it been peaceful for milions of years, yes, it could still come to that point at any time. Yeah I really like what we have right now but I fear that when its over then they will bring in someone else and we may just get another costa situation. I dont specificlly want them on earth, and I agree that earth is pretty much the least exciting planet for things to be set on hehe. but what I am really looking at is autobots vs decepticons, I dont have anything against what we have in rid and mtmte right now, hell these are the best transformers comics we've had since dreamwave. Its just that we have more of a post war rather than a war itself at this moment. I would like to see what Roberts or Barber could do with that.

7. Star Saber

News Credits:
    That is true, but I think we'll be getting some Autobot/Decepticon action in MTMTE soon, with the upcoming Justice Division arc. As for the re-ignition of the war, I think Roberts and Barbers have something planned down the road. Not something right away, as I think they're trying to explore what they can without the war or dominant personalities like Optimus or Megatron, hanging over their heads. In the meantime, we still have a lot of Decepticons and Autobots off world, some who may not know that the war is over (look in MTMTE), so we'll get the battles, plus Megatron is still out there, and he'll eventually return, most likely with great consequences.

8. dunerunner123

Oh thats right! lets just hope that whatever they are planning on will happen way later on so that we have plenty of time to tie up all the loose ends. but once that is over, I would hate to see what they get bludgeoned by the likes of costa. So personally I would rather see A great conclusion to our story constructed by two great writers and then see those writers start again from the ground up, than having another writer try to continue the story with something different and fail miserably. but anyways this is just what I think. also i would disregard Idws story coming to an end soon, considering the loose ends.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Then you haven't noticed the two new ongoing titles.

10. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Lameazoid.com

I don't really want it back on Earth. I actually rather like the direction things are going. Both RiD and MtMtE have different tones and directions, and both are interesting in their own way. RiD is exploring a much more political intrigue sort of tone, with tension and espionage and combat.

MtMtE feels more like monster of the week so far. It's a bit lighter in feel with a more one shot conflict sort of feel.

11. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    I'd expect that Rodimus and his crew will return to Earth as part of their quest at some point

12. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

As long as they don't meet Spike, I'll be happy.

IDW Spike deserves to be forgotten.

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Or smushed.

Fuck IDW Spike, man.

14. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    I actually hope they do meet him...then he gets killed by them!

15. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have to be kidding. They *just* relaunched with two new on-goings. Why reboot when the story has finally started picking up?

16. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

Do not want?

We have 2 titles, no humans. Couldn't be happier.

17. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actullay, I want to see Spike again.

The Transformers: Thundercracker
    Thundercracker is on Earth, watching TV.
    Spike is on Earth, running from the search of Skywatch.
    Verity is on Earth, possesing the second copy of Aequitas data.
    TC, Verity, and Spike meet each other.
    Spike goes jail :ev: , Verity gives the copy to TC, and TC returns to Cybertron with the copy.
    (Verity can accompany with TC, or just stay on Earth.)

18. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

I'd just like to see Thundercracker again. :(  I don't have the same hate for Shane and Mike a lot here have (though I'm not really fond of them either), but I think even the haters would agree that the one thing those two did right was Thundercracker.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Exactly.

I hope IDW never reboots. I'd love a big, expansive universe under one creative group free of reboots.

20. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Agreed. The current writing teams are doing pretty well, though I'd hope Barbers would stop killing so many well known and long time characters though. Roberts though, has done a fantastic job of expanding the TF universe and mythology. I hated the time on earth, it really felt stupid to me how they kept being hindered by humans. It's great that the current setup has taken them off-world, and I hope it stays that way for a very very long time.