IDW Publishing Lands G.I. Joe Comic License

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DESTRO, May 29, 2008.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes! This is the main thing I'm hoping for. Devil's Due run was ok, but I loved Hama's run. I hope the release all of Marvel's run on TPB. I don't think they had any Marvel characters in them like Spider-man in TF so that shouldn't be an issue.

2. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Cool. IDW has done a fantastic job with the TF's and I'm sure they will do a great job with the Joes.

3. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    It's how they refer to the 3inch line of figures as oppossed to the 12 inch "dolls."

4. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not too keen. IDW don't really deserve the price point they charge for the quality they produce. You need look no further than the sliding sales on the TF books to see that. That's why there's AHM. I do hope for the sake of TFs that AHM resonates w/ the fan base. I mean, at a time when the brand is doing better than ever, that's just pathetic.

But I guess they must be doing something right in someone's eyes if Hasbro are willing to give them both licences. I do wonder what it is though

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

This is what I'm thinking. If IDW can't increase or keep readers on Transformers with a $3.99 price point, how in the world does Habro believe they will with G.I.Joe? DD had enough trouble as it was keeper their readers at $2.99, and lost the license so it seems like a waste to give it to IDW.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Okay I guess I'm the weird one again because while I haven't liked every single thing from IDW Transformers I've still enjoyed them a good bit. I mean just how could a Cobra fan get upset that the company giving us All Hail Megatron is going to have their hands on Cobra now.

Mind you Devils Due was pretty good for a while but things really went down hill with the Red Shadows story arch and then killing off Lady Jaye as part of a sells gimick. Ouch and the whole Joe Casey mess was so bad they got rid of their message board just to keep fans from bitching about how badly the old fans had been stabbed in the back. Double ouch with the current art work from the end run by Devils Due.

Anyway I like the way IDW can juggle things so that you have several different universes running at once rather than having to worry how you could fit G1, the movie and Animated all into the same title.

Really looking forward to something like Spotlight Firefly or something like that.

7. Kintoun

Kintoun Active Member

G.I. Joe comic books from Devil's Due Publishing have cost $3.50 for quite some time so if the new G.I. Joe Vs Cobra title does have a $3.99 cover price (which is very likely but not 100% certain), that's only a 49 cent increase.

8. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Last time both properties were under the same roof, the crossovers were placed on the main (or should I say only?) continuity, but that's not such a good idea now.

Of course, IDW is currently working in at least 3 different TF continuities, so it seems they could make it work.

Wonder if they'll reboot Joe, continue after Marvel or continue after DD.

-airfox

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know I'm in the minority now, but I will miss the Devil's Due GI Joe continuity if it (very likely, IMO) is now done for good.

10. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'm more interested in matters of continuity - will they carry on from DDP, or re-boot it?

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm with you. If the DD continuity, which was continued from Marvel, is gone, so am I.

Though I don't have any hope for IDW putting out a decent Joe series anyway. The TF stuff has been horrible.