IDW Publishing - Escalation #3 5 Page Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Deefuzz, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

On the other hand, it's crazy that reproducible technology wouldn't be assigned to as many TFs who could put it to use, unless it's a massive power drain or something.

Looks good!

2. DESTRUCTICON

DESTRUCTICON Banned

Ebay:
    I thought megatron was a superior tank of sorts and had a "dope" look. They did pull off the gun megatron look nice though! Styled like the new MP Meg thats comin out a bit eh? Looks sweet none the less, but...

what happen to Megatron? Thought he was a tank & all of sudden hes a gun?!!? Maybe (hopefully) they explain it (I cant read that small. Maybe I missed something?) Kinda like Prime going from Cybertron mode to earth mode with out explaination. But that was understood from him all of sudden coming to Earth. Megatron has BEEN on Earth already.

Either way lol to the IDW team! THEY ROCK!!!

3. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    He reformatted in issue 2 off-panel.

4. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

I rather like the fact that with the absence of pure energon, there are abilities and the like that are 'natural' to the Transformers that they cannot use becuase of the power requirements.

Which might be the first working theory to explain Minicon/Cyber Key powerups (ie hte boost of power the character gets allows those abilities to be accessed).

5. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Furman is doing one heck of a job. I haven't been this excited for a comic for awhile.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, see... that's sort of my point. Powers like those used by Hound or Mirage or Skywarp or Ravage or Rumble or Windcharger (etc) shouldn't be easily reproduced. It should be something rare and special... something that that particular TF has that makes him unique. Maybe it's an unusual and difficult-to-reproduce weapon. Maybe it's a particular circuit or program or even something in the Spark that grants them the abilities that make them stand out from their peers.

That's always the way I've seen it. As soon as you start outfitting all the autobots with holographic tech, or short-range teleporters, or magnetic tractor beams, you are robbing many of the characters of something that helps define them.

I remember there was an old comic... I forget if it was Marvel UK or what... but it revealed that Brawn, Skywarp, Windcharger and a few others once worked together as a team... for lack of a better term, they were "superheroes" on old Cybertron because of their special powers. Now, that might be going a bit too far, but at least it supports the idea that these TFs were special because of their powers... rather than simply being outfitted with the technology arbitrarily.

zmog

7. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Yeah, I agree to an extent, but there are other ways of explaining in-context -- few Decepticons are probably insane enough to want to be at ground zero of shockwaves and sonic booms like Rumble/Frenzy/Thundercracker; Windcharger it's always been suggested that the power drain is colossal, and you could keep the "specialness" of Hound or Ravage or Skywarp by making them the most skilled at what they do, and key to certain plans of their side... plus writing them as fully-rounded characters, of course.

Might well've been TF UK -- I know the TMUK fan group definitely built up an origin for those special abilities when they started universe-building, so the seeds of it are probably in an issue somewhere.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I like the story but gun mode megatron... that just sucks.

9. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Wow. The art keeps getting better. Sure buy for me.

-airfox

10. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Well I was impressed by the story and the levity and attention given to Mass-Change, but I'm in agreement. We had G1 Megatron who was also a Tank. I believe that MP Megs is the only reason for the change. same as Classics Jetfire showing up in Stormbringer.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Naturally. And what you suggest is workable certainly. So far though, I just haven't been impressed with the casual way technology like that is being thrown around in the comics.

Obviously Cybertronian tech is beyond Earth tech... but that doesn't mean that it develops along the same lines. It's a particularly interesting situation because of the blurred lines between technology and biology in Transformers. What is the distinction between "gear" and "part of you" for a TF?

zmog

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I always thought gun Megatron was a much better alt mode than the tank. A handgun and a tank both do the same thing: They shoot. However, a tank is a big, large target that takes a decent amount of time to move/aim. A handgun is as quick and nimble as the being holding it. Seems to me like the handgun is more deadly, assuming they both have the same shot power.

13. EJ.Su

EJ.Su Member

What do you mean?

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nightbeat reformatted himself to fit his mission on the planet in his Spotlight issue. Megatron is doing the same thing, simply adopting an alt-mode that his facimile agents can wield. He knows Autobots are here and are looking for Decepticon activity so is using obscure tech to enhance his disguise. His plan may involve future uses of the gun mode yet to be seen.