IDW Publishing - Escalation #3 5 Page Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Deefuzz, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks to IDW Publishing for posting up their 5 page preview of the upcoming Transformers Escalation #3. Click here for a link to the IDW new releases and to see the preview.

Attached Files:

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Blitzwing reminds me of Arm Megs, what with the treads on the shoulders.

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    <3

4. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I think it looks good. Can't wait to get my copy.

5. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Blitzwing has changed Tank model to a Russian T-72 or T-80 (noticable round turret and spare petrol barrels on the rear)

Also, is Skywarp in Winter Colours? if so, thats totally sweet and attention to detail.

<3

6. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

this is sweet! you see the designs they're using for this comic, like megatron, why couldn't they do something like that for the movie? i really think that looks more realistic than the movie designs do.

7. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I thought that was Thundercracker misnamed, myself.

Or Skywarp miscolored.

But could be wrong.

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Damn, I LOVE the art and character design here. My favorite take on these characters yet.

9. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Looks great! I'm loving the IDW-verse mroe and more every day...

10. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man I love this series... I guess it's safe to say that Hot Rod is coming to Earth.

11. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Blitzwing has been my favourite ever since the movie. "Die Auto-brat" is the best line ever.

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tsk tsk tsk... It's "come on down, Auto-brat!"

:p 

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

This is also what I thought.

I'm a bit sorry to see that SWEET tank Megatron go... I always preferred to see as little mass-shifting as possible. However, at least they're making a bit of an effort in the writing to discuss the "mass-displacement" technology... and implying that it's sort of a special thing. Not everyday technology. Maybe only the top level of Decepticons will have access to it?

On the other hand, one thing that kind of bugs me about this series is the casual use of things like holographic emitters (in the Autobots) and this "chameleon-mesh" that the Cons are using in this preview. First off, a minor gripe... do TFs even know what a chameleon is? Considering that they must have downloaded context-specific english (and russian) language encoding into their brains, I suppose this can slide.

However, doesn't the use of tech like this sort of detract from characters like Hound or Mirage, who have always had holograms and light-refraction as specific powers? Or even Ravage, who can "blend" with darkness... why bother if he can use "chameleon mesh"? Another gripe is the dizzying array of hidden weaponry that Ratchet, of all Autobots, seemed to have built into his vehicle mode.

These little things have been bugging me a bit. Am I crazy?

zmog

14. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Well it could be argued that most of Rachet's "weapons" were medical tools that he improvised with (Like using a scapel in a knife fight) Autobots need to be welded, so that explains the torches and lasers. He also used a cryo-spray, which is supposed to be for surgery.

Notice he had to wait till the 'cons were in near poit blank range? And he couldn't strike against the jets?

15. Shotoman

Shotoman Well-Known Member

Huh. I thought Megs wasn't gonna turn into a gun in this series. I'm kinda glad he is, in a way (I have mixed emotions about the gun mode) but I seem to remember reading in various interviews etc. that he wasn't...

16. SMOG

Yeah, I considered that... and then rejected it mostly. The way his weapons are deployed, not to mention the amount of damage he was dealing... I dunno, it just didn't seem credible as being a laser scalpel and some cryogenic freeze... particularly folding out of his vehicle mode in such a strategic fashion. I remember Ratchet using the old cryo-spray and laser scalpel as makeshift weapons in the old Marvel comics... they didn't do squat, though it -was- Megatron he was trying to use them on, to be fair. :) 

In the end, I'm not saying that the writer and artist weren't -intending- the weapons to be makeshift surgical tools... just that they weren't presented convincingly as such. Instead, it just made Ratchet look like James Bond. :) 

Overall, I have some very mixed feelings about the IDW mainline G1 comic. On the one hand, I love the art and the setting... on the other hand, some of the handling of character and story disappoints me. Some of the details are there, and it's great. Other details seem glossed over.

I also often find that Furman only writes in about 2-3 different "voices", and in the end, that leaves a lot of characters seeming shortchanged. I often find that characters are delivering lines that could be delivered by ANY other character... the personality of the speaker frequently is not described by his dialogue.

Does that makes any sense?

zmog

17. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Very nice.

Can't wait to buy it. Well done IDW!

18. Akumaxv

Akumaxv Well-Known Member

Man, am I glad they didn't make Megs a gun in the movie. The mass shifting thing would have looked idiotic on the big screen.

Of course, the new Megs design is still garbage, but it works a hell of alot more than a mass shifting gun.

Is this the first time in any comic series where they actaully acknowledge the whole mass displacement thing?

Art is pretty nice too.

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I find it amusing that they were so totally against Megatron being a gun when they first started out, and he's a gun.

20. SMOG

I think so... which makes for quite a milestone. :) 

I've noticed that Furman is doing something interesting... he's taking a lot of the nagging loose ends that have been hanging around TFs for a long time, and starting to make sense of them. In some cases, it seems dismissive... like his handling of Pretenders (though I hate pretenders, so I don't mind, heh). In other cases, it seems kind of thrown together, like the Dynabots/Dinobots "origin". But I do have to hand it to him... it seems like he has a checklist of things he wants to rectify or explain, and he's slowly working his way through...

zmog