IDW November Solicitations

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    IDW has posted previews for their September solicitations.

http://www.idwpublishing.com/solicit/nov06.shtml

2. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    The Machination? Are those those humans that were spying on the Autobots in #6? So basically we have IDW's version of RATT.

3. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Has Sunstreaker always looked like his Alternators self?

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    yay Hot Rod looks so cool there!! I am so buying that :D 

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yeah, that's the same design he had in Infiltration. He's still a Lambo though.

6. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Wow! Finally "Escalation"!!!!
    And the Hot Rod cover looks awesome.

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    [qoute]"But what is the Magnificence, and how does it all connect with HOT ROD's first- disastrous-mission?"[/qoute]

Hot Rod jumped over to Power Rangers SPD?

8. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

now the main book is $4 too? Fuck that shit.

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    >____>

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I may just wait for the Esclation trade, rather than this $4 crap. If it's anything like Infiltration, nothing of consequence will happen anyway.

11. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

3.99$ for 32 pages? Are they damn insane? No Thanks.

12. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting that Josh. I understand and feel for what IDW has to go through and that it's also a business decision, but i also have to draw the line in the sandsomewhere. and $2.99 for a normal size comic is that place. that's puhing the line in my mind for $-to-value ratio as it is, and since i pretty much ended up feeling "Meh" on Infiltration as it was, i just don't see any reason to drop $36 on Escalation.

Su's a big part of that decision ~ if you and Don were on it, i'd probably suck it up because i know it'd look bloody terrific, but i have major issues with so much of Su's artwork and the colouring on Infiltration that i just don't need the frustration.

I've purchased every official TF comic released in america since Marvel #1 as far as i know (even the awful Blackthorne 3D books) and Stormbringer and Hearts of Steel will be the end of that run... kind of sad. (but at least it's going out wiht a bang.)
    and, remember it's only 22 pages of art and story. ~ I'd really rathwe have adverts and stay at $3 than pages of previews for there other books

13. KidDynamite

Agreed on everything you said (except about Infiltration, which I loved).

I just can't justify $4 a book. Especially for $4 each for 3+ different Transformers books a month. MAYBE if they cut back to one book a month, but I suspect the economies of maintaining the licensing fee would make that scenario impossible.

I sympathize with IDW, I really do, but they need to sympathize with me too and realize that the simple economics of MY budget mean that I can't justify $4 for comic books. Sorry guys. I'll still buy the trades, and when sales drop precipitously (just like they did for Generations when you jacked the price of it up) and you lose the license 6 months down the road I will shed a geniune, sincere tear. But I won't spend $4 on a regular length comic.

14. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I'll still order Escalation, Spotligh on Hot Rod and The Animated Movie Adaptation.

It'll be more expensive, but importing comics is an expensive hobbie as it is.

-airfox

15. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    simple economics

$3.99 priced comics should be (or will be) the norm for all publishers outside of DC, Marvel, Dark Horse and Image, pretty soon.

Here's some facts concerning independant publishers :

1. Ads in comics are not as profitable as people think. They rarely change anything at all in fact. Most ads are promoting their other titles anyways. Ads in comics is not significant enough to reduce production costs, therefore not significant enough to reduce cover price as well.

2. Diamond takes a minimum of 60% off cover price. So if a comic has a $3.99 cover price, then IDW sells them to Diamond at $1.60.

3. That $1.60 has to pay for :

-Art (writing, pencils, inks, colors, lettering, editing with corrections from Hasbro)

-Printing (preping the pdf's, getting the mock-ups from the printer, corrections, etc)

-Shipping (if you print with quebecor, then Diamond picks-up the entire print run themselves at the plant, but they charge you 2%. So you're down to 62% off cover price)

-Advance guarantee. This is the money the publisher pays upfront at signature of the contract. Example : Imagine IDW paid $100,000 in advance gurantee. If you owe 1$ in royaltee for every TF comic you sell, then the first 100,000 copies sold you don't owe any royalties to Hasbro. On the 100,101 copy then you owe $1.

-Royalties. That's what you owe per copy sold passed the advance gurantee. It is usually between 10% and 15% of the diamond price (wholesale).

-Office costs. Employees, electricity, office supplies, phone, conventions, etc etc.

-Online and Diamond Catalog ads.

In the end remember only this. For a $3.99 cover price comic, IDW has about $1.44 for every copy sold, and that has to pay for all that is involed.
    EX : ($3.99 - 60%) - 10% = $1.44

In compariason a $2.99 books the result is $1.08 The 36 cents difference is important when you sell 20,000 copies. $7200 in this example.

Godspeed

Greenspan

16. KidDynamite

The problem with all of those numbers is that your conclusion assumes the number of copies sold will remain static after a 33% jump in price. Common sense should tell you that will not be the case. Generations lost 5000 readers in one month when they increased the price by only 50 cents.

The real question, and one that can't be known by anyone right now, is will the increase in price offset the inevitable drop in readership significantly enough to make it worthwhile?

Using your math, if IDW sells 20,000 copies, they make $21,600 on one issue at $2.99 and $28,800 at $3.99. HOWEVER, if they lose 5000 readers in the process of raising the price, which I think is quite realistic and even a little conservative to be honest, they end up making....$21,600 on one issue at $3.99 (your $1.44 x 15,000). They end up in the exact same place they're in now monetarily, only with the bonus of alienating a bunch of their supporters. And the potential certainly exists for them to lose even more readers than that, which would actually put them in a WORSE position than now. I don't know...it seems like an awfully big gamble to me on their part. I think they're banking on only losing a couple thousand readers at most, and I think that's a very risky gamble on their part. It will be interesting to see what happens once some of those $3.99 books get past their first issues and we really see the circulation numbers settling in. I suspect IDW's days as the comic license holder are numbered, which saddens me a lot.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Looks like there will be yet another continuity in two years, after another licensee change. Sigh.

18. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I dunno, if they can hold on 'till the movie, their numbers will probably jump a bit. We'll see.

Anyways, I'll bite and still buy their comics for $4 a pop, especially since I'm not interested in getting their TF Movie Redux anyways, though that's pretty much as high as I'll go.

19. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

probably. Hopefully someone actually capable of getting their comics outside of the ghettos of the LCS and out into the mainstream. Despite Ryall's claims that this is a super-hero vdriven market, outside of comic shops it isn't. Even major movies have barely increased sales of those titles. The long ignored markets of pre-teen boys, and pre-teen & teenage girls are gobbling up manga like they were made of crack. And not because stuff from Japan/Korea is better than US material, but because those publishers are giving them what they want to read instead of telling them to read mostly super-hero comics. The sales are so good that manga is now second to romance novels as the top selling category of books sold in the mainstream, which is why legit book publishers are jumping in with their own comics.

Ironically enough, boys' action comics like those from Shonen Jump are among the best sellers on the shelves. Tfs should sell along those lines, but won't because IDW can't get it's product into those same hands.

20. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Transformers manga!

This hypothetical someone could adapt Kiss-play!

I'm in for the main continuity stuff, and I'll probably grab a black and white issue as well, to further suspicions that a colourist such as Josh would do a far more flattering job of it...

edit:

Dreamwave were to pay about $500,000 for roughly two years of comics. I think Hasbro may have the licensing fee set just a bit high.