IDW: Nova Prime and the Matrix Question...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by artiepants, Aug 17, 2011.

1. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    So, is it ever explained in IDW why the Matrix didn't go into the Dead Universe with the Nova and the Crew of the Ark 1? I was just thinking today that that seems like kind of a huge plot hole...

If it's a spoiler for Post AHM, maybe be general, because I'm reading via the IDW collections, so i've only got as far as AHM.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    It was never explained. Most likely because of this:

From TFWiki.net
    Author Simon Furman has strongly implied that in his original plans for this story, Nova did take the Matrix into the Dark Universe (Optimus Prime is never shown to carry it in Furman's stories) and that it "became" something while there—presumably, the Darkness itself, which would not have been a separate entity.[8] These plans were cut short and wrapped up when Furman left the series, and subsequent writers established that Optimus had indeed been carrying the Matrix all along.

3. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    aaaaaahhhhh, very interesting.

It's such a shame Furman's plans got cut short: reading through the IDW collections, esp. 2,3 and 4 you could really tell he was building up to something truly epic, and that stunted 4 issue conclusion really didn't give it the space it needed to breath.

The amount of planning, intrigue and plot threads was really impressive. (it's too bad the first miniseries was such a cluncker)

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    Yep. Losing Furman really screwed things up. The writers who took over really lacked direction. All Hail Megatron was ok for a while until they decided to cut it short and bring Prime back out of the blue and end it. The ongoing was even worse with Prime suddenly deciding he couldn't handle it , and the Autobots picking Bumblebee to lead because everyone liked him (WTF?). It seems things are going somewhere again but the stories are nowhere near as good as they were before.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It's been a looooong time since I've read these, but I seem to remember in the two frames where Optimus actually fought Nova\Nemesis that Optimus refers to Nova as a 'Matrix Bearer'.

Like I said, my memory is wonky on it but I seem to remember this is the first mention of an Autobot Matrix in the IDW continuity.

It opened up all kinds of questions about the Autobot Matrix (Matrixes?) that were never resolved and then were actually complicated with All Hail Megatron.