IDW net income down 91%, blames market leaders

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by agp, Sep 19, 2017.

1. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes we know Atlas became Marvel. At the time they were not in the same class as Archie, DC/National, and EC. I don't recall Martin Goodman of Atlas being part of the Comics Magazine Association of America or writing any of the code. John Goldwater of Archie was the president and Jack Liebowitz of DC was the vice president. The code hurt Atlas, at the time they followed trends and were into horror comics too. Stan Lee said they got by producing passable quality books quickly and cheaply. Atlas certainly became the most relevant publisher, but I don't think they could be considered involved with writing the code. Archie isn't relevant anymore, as in if they went away tomorrow it wouldn't effect the direct market. So I don't get what you're trying to say?

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Who cares about the direct market? You think Archie isn't relevant? They're HUGE. They're the only publisher still big in newsstand sales. The only publisher you can always see in supermarkets from coast-to-coast. You clearly have no idea how big a deal that is. One large supermarket chain outnumbers every comic shop in America combined. While everyone else has had wild ups and downs in the Direct Market, Archie's fortunes remained pretty steady, thanks to that.

Anyway, every publisher was out of super heroes and into trying horror & sf at that time. Only no one did it anywhere near as well as EC, which is why the other publishers wanted to find any way to get rid of them. And the Code was worded to target EC's books specifically.