Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ottertron, Sep 5, 2017.
Is there an abnormal way to approve?
Check my comments in the nemisis sentinel and prime lockdown threads.
Ahhh. Hey, I'm just happy people are interested in my attempts. Those other fellas sure know what they're doing!
If its as good as it looks you're about to join their ranks.
Oh you charmer, you
I'm in the home stretch now. Just need to add vents to the sides of his legs- building them at the moment - add some detailing to the shoulder vents, finish the head, reattach the backpack and finish painting!
To me, he definitely looks like Spinister , and I guess that's the important thing.
This project looks amazing so far! I'm super interested in completing a Scavengers shelf, and I'm not happy that the two official Spinisters being a mini-bot or a super expensive exclusive Deluxe. This makes me want to try my hand at making a Spinister now!
So far of the officially available Scavengers the only one I'm aestheticallly happy with is the Takara Misfire - and he isn't even out yet!
The Scavengers are one of my favourite things about MTMTE, after the DJD, so I figured I'd take a stab at making my own. Considering I've never even thought about attempting anything like this until now - I gave up trying to paint Warhammer miniatures when I was about 15 as I just couldn't do detail work AT ALL. I could just about manage an ink wash and some dry brushing.
I feel like I'm doing pretty damn well so far, considering!
Thrusters/vents going onto the legs now, and once they're solidly glued I'll do the detailing on the shoulder vents. This is the really fiddly stuff, cutting plasticard into half and quarter inch shapes, and it's not fun
@spartan 3764 :"what kind of sick f**k gets turned on watching a guy customize a transformer."
WEEGEE:"I'm sorry @Ottertron hahhhhhhh."
Ran out of Superglue so can't finish off the detailing right now, but when I do I'll be adding a little detailing to the front of the shins, boxing in the tops of the shins and forearms and making the shoulder vents. Once that's all done, the final coat of paints will go on and then the floor polish and the lacquer. Nearly done!
Did a cursory transformation to alt-mode...it will do. The shoulders are a problem, but I don't have the expertise or ingenuity to fix them really. Meh. It's a little bit Sky Lynx isn't it?
It's not that big a deal really as it's not like he'll be transformed very often, it's just enough for me that he can be.
This custom is like a woman, nice to look at but better off with a restraining order against me.
I just wish I could do a better job on the alt-mode.
You're working of off an Alex Milne design, it's a bit exaggerated and I reckon you can actually salvage the custom if you can get all that styrene off without too much hassle.
Rebuild the shoulders but don't have them stick out as far as the drawing, get the styrene off of the forearms as they were the right proportions to begin with.
Strip the styrene off of the lower legs and rebuild them but don't build out so far from the leg.
Also whack some of that green stuff onto Spinister's face and sculpt the battle mask instead of painting it
You've got a good idea, if you're confident I say go back and fix it, if not, finish the custom and come back to it when you feel that you can salvage it.
Oh, the face is just a fill-in for now, that's not the final head. The shins don't come out any further than the originals, it's just that it wasn't previously a flat surface.
I can take the shoulders in slightly easily enough by trimming the top back to the same width as the box wall inside the structure, but the forearms definitely need something as the original surface was shaved down and covered with green stuff to even it out and doesn't look that great uncovered, I think.
I don't know that I want to comprise the bot mode for the sake of a sleeker alt-mode, though, as then I'd end up with something that was neither one thing or another.
But, nothing that I think can be worked on is unfixable, I just need to figure the best way to do it to the best of my abilities.
I may just finish it off as originally intended and take a second crack down the line when I'm better able to pull it off.
Added some plasticard detailing to the shins and painted them up last night. Just need to paint the side vents silver and add the vent details to his shoulders and I'll say his main body is done!
As @blastpak suggested, I took another look at the forearms and decided they didn't need to be boxed in. What helped was repainting his arms with a slightly lighter and less glossy purple. Definitely happier now.
I have more Green Stuff en route to finish his face - and for Crankcase - and will add side fins in plasticard and work on his backpack/cockpit today.
So, almost finished!
Separate names with a comma.