Minor/Repaint: IDW MTMTE Spinister

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ottertron, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

[​IMG]

So, I've got five customs on the go right now and I'm flitting between them all whilst waiting for paint to dry and parts to arrive etc. I started a thread here about my IDW MTMTE Crankcase already, and this one is for my attempt at his fellow Scavenger Spinister.

As I'm using deluxe scale figures for the other Scavengers in need of a toy - Crankcase and Fulcrum - I'm using voyager scale figures for the two taller ones - Spinister and the late lamented Flywheels - specifically a mix of parts from Generations Springer and Sandstorm for Spinister here.

The head, torso and arms are from Springer and the legs and backpack are from Sandstorm. I'll be shaving off the front detailing from the shins and covering them with plasticard for a smoother, more comic accurate look, and boxing off the shoulders in a similar way. I have a set of Gunpla vents and plates en route for shoulder detailing too.

I'll be repainting Springer's head and adding a faceplate.

Here's the general look I'm going for:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. AutobotBee

AutobotBee Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Good luck man. This is a custom I have been thinking hard about for a while. Very interested in what you'll come up with.

• Like Like x 2
  3. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Like the concept, looking forward to progress on this one.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ottertron

[​IMG]

So, tonight I've removed any extraneous moving parts relating to the land vehicle mode or that I feel will get in the way - namely landing gear kneepads (not necessary aesthetically or for the alt mode), vehicle side windows from the forearms (not needed and a little bulky really), and the fold down wheel covers from the shoulders (not needed and just in the way really).
    Tomorrow I will saw the fins off the forearms, chisel the molded details off the shins and measure and cut plasticard for the shoulders and legs, hopefully.

Since I will no longer be using the land vehicle alt-mode I won't need to use the joints on the sides of the shins that fold outwards, which is handy as it means I can cover the entire area from just below the knee and to the top of the feet with plasticard without worrying about losing any movement. I'll glue the area up, though, first, to make it sturdier.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome,can't wait to see the finished product!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ottertron

[​IMG]

Forearm fins have now been removed and the stumps filed flat, removed the detailing on the shins to make a flatter surface and I snipped off the ridges on the inside of the shoulder pieces and placed them back into position on opposite shoulders where they now sit closer to the surface behind them.

I'll be filling in the gaps in the shoulders with Green Stuff and flattening the area out so I can make boxier shoulders with plasticard and using Green Stuff on the shins to do much the same thing.

Once I've done that all that's left to do is paint and attach the backpack. :D 

I've just had the shipping notification letting me know that my Crankcase, Red Alert and 'Whiny Hauler' - to be used as Fulcrum with the simple addition of a chinstrap from the helmet and a slightly more built out chin, as referred to in the comics - heads and the chestplate for IDW Ratchet are en route so hopefully I'll have most of my current round of customs boxed off and done within the next couple of weeks....and ready for the next round!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Kryptokron

Kryptokron Bleeper of Blorps

News Credits:
    Oh man, this is gonna be sweet! I have a Spinister of my own in the works, using Energon Bulkhead as the base fig, but looking at the potential here, I may change my mind...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ottertron

Having just seen the Zeta Toys version of Vortex I'm tempted to just buy that and repaint it. HA!

No, so long as I can get the shins and shoulders to look decent I think this will come out pretty well indeed.....he said, hopefully.

9. Omnondippy

Omnondippy The duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest accord.

Beat me to the punch! Good luck with the project, Can't wait to see the final product. :popcorn 

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ottertron

So, here's the current state of Spinister -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I've removed the sliding covers from the back of his shoulders since they aren't really needed anymore for land vehicle mode and reattached the side shoulder covers to the opposite shoulders that they were originally attached to, just to add a little more stability and shape to the shoulder area.

My Green Stuff and Gundam parts arrived this morning so I can crack on! This will be my first time working with Green Stuff, and, really, my first time tackling anything more than a minor parts repaint, aside from Crankcase who is running concurrently anyway.

I've watched a bunch of tutorials and I've got knives, pokey things and a metal ruler for smoothing things down, so appendages crossed!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ottertron

Here's the rough plan for what comes next -

[​IMG]

Apply Green Stuff to the front shin area to smooth it out, then once cured superglue plasticard panels onto the shins, covering from just below the knee to the top of the feet -

[​IMG]

Apply a supporting frame of Green Stuff to the outside of the shins - being careful to leave the moving foot mechanism unhindered for transformation purposes - then superglue a plasticard panel over the area, joining it up with the one on the front of the shin where the two meet -

[​IMG]

Cut away the outlying parts on the forearms - they're not really needed for transformation now and will make for a smoother look in 'bot mode - remove the yellow parts from the back of the shoulders as, again, they're no longer necessary for the single alt-mode -

[​IMG]

Fill in the gaps in the shoulders with Green Stuff and smooth it down, front and back, to make a flat surface on both sides, then make shoulder boxes from plasticard and superglue them onto the shoulders (The shape and size of these will change before the final version as I'm aware the ones I sketched are too big), add Gundam vents to new shoulder coverings, fill in and smooth off forearms where fins previously were, paint over original blue eyes with clear red and reinstall into head, make faceplate and extra wings for side of head from Green Stuff. Attach wings/cockpit/backpack to back.

Finally, repaint - blue for legs, magenta for body and cockpit/backpack, purple for arms and wings, dark grey for detailing - add Decepticon symbols where appropriate and then we're done*!!

*At some point I will also need to add the extra parts onto the end of the fold-out wings but that can be done later, once I've figured out the best way to do them so they look right AND are unobtrusive in 'bot mode.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  12. The Smirker

The Smirker Kintaro's other brother

Interesting enough, i like the idea, but wouldn't a pyra magna look a little better or at least a hot spot or bruticus be better?

13. The Smirker

The Smirker Kintaro's other brother

Still, interesting choice for a custom.

14. Ottertron

Did you mean to post this on the Crankcase thread? :p 

15. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogie Land

News Credits:
    I love it so far. You plan on using the Springer head? Because some of those side shots of Spinister in the comics make me think that Generations Blurr would be a good fit.

16. Ottertron

Yeah, I know what you mean - it's the feathered-looking wings on the sides. TBH I'm going to use the Springer head for now but I may just order a Spinister head from Shapeways. Depends how comfortable I get with using Green Stuff for small parts really.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chronix

Chronix Meme Machine

Images broke.

18. Ottertron

[​IMG]

Green Stuff applied! Looks a little rough but don't forget it won't be visible, it's just there to create a flatter surface to attach plasticard to.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  19. Ottertron

They look fine to me, but I had to use a temporary host for the latest one as Imgbb is currently inaccessible. That is likely the problem :S

20. Omnondippy

Omnondippy The duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest accord.

So what exactly is green stuff? Looks fantastic so far, I am probably going to steal your idea if that's okay with you;) .