Minor/Repaint: IDW MTMTE Deathsaurus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ottertron, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

[​IMG]

Like most people, it seems, I've been craving an updated Deathsaurus toy, particularly one based on his IDW/MTMTE look.

Originally I was going to go the 'repainting Beast Hunters Darksteel' route, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew I needed a beefier body type and I knew only one other toy could possibly work for me - Grimlock.

[​IMG]

I thought of using the RID remould of FOC Grimmy initially, but a cursory look around online revealed that the two versions of him that were made were both quite expensive, so that ruled them out. But as luck would have it I spotted a Generations FOC Grimlock on sale in a Facebook group for £8. He was missing his right fist and both wee forelegs, but I planned on replacing those anyway so I got him (the guy also chucked in Generations Brainstorm as well at £15 for the pair of them, which I couldn't really turn down).

So, my base figure for Deathsaurus is FOC Grimlock, with parts also donated from Beast Hunters Darksteel - namely the wings, back legs and abdomen/crotch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, there was another reason that I decided to use a bigger bodied 'bot than Darksteel, and Grimlock in particular - MTMTE Deathsaurus has four arms!!!

[​IMG]

See them in the pic above? His legs are folded underneath him and his regular arms are holding his head - his dragon-mode forearms are usually kept folded up on his back, just in front of his wings, but here you can see them splayed out to the sides, holding his weight up. Those big ol' foreclaws usually look like part of his wings, but they're actually his arms, folded up on his back!

Once I realised this I knew it would have to be Grimlock that I used as I would need the bulk to get away with having the extra arms on there and the already existing space on his upper Dino-mode chest to install them.

[​IMG]

^thats the position they'll be stored in when he's in 'bot mode.

In the pic of the WIP the wings are only held on with some tape to give an idea of what they will look like, but I've got leftover parts from Darksteel to attach that should do the job. The forearms will go where Grimmy's usually go, although they're on mushroom pegs and the original fixtures are balljoints so that will be the other major non-paintwork change along with the wings, And his chest piece (which I'm still working on). His head is on order from Shapeways, but will need modding when it arrives since it only has two eyes and no crests.

Paint scheme will be metallic blue, silver chrome and gold with some touches of red.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 16
  2. 2Sixshot

2Sixshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ottertron

Doing a bit more visual research for this project earlier today I found that someone else had previously used Grimlock for a custom Deathsaurus before me. Bah!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. MastaBlasta

MastaBlasta Knight Industries Two Thousand

Well great minds do think alike! I'll be interested to se how this turns out

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ottertron

[​IMG]

So, I was thinking of the best way to do Deathsaurus' chest piece. Initially I thought to either get one of the FOC data disc birdformers and trim the wings slightly, placing it in open position on his chest, then I considered the RID Mini-Con Ratbat, but in IDW we haven't actually seen Deathsaurus use the Breastforce bird thing so maybe it wasn't necessary to use a transformable character?

Looking through eBay for FOC birdformers I came upon this -

[​IMG]

...FOC Kickback's disc launcher weapon, and had a lightbulb moment!

[​IMG]

TA-DAAAAAHH!! Bit of a trim of the plastic between the prongs and some gold and blue paint and I reckon it should fit the bill!

• Like Like x 12
  6. Dropkick

Dropkick Pie fanatic

Google+:
    YouTube:
    This looks interesting....
    love how you're working and creating so much stuff for IDW. Don't know why Hasbro doesn't hire you as a creative artist or something. You do some great work!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ottertron

Probably because I can't draw so well or use any useful software.

8. Gaia Saber

Gaia Saber Well-Known Member

You gonna make Star Saber when you finish this?

9. Ottertron

No plans to do SS as I have no real attachment to the character. Not sure who I'll be doing after this as I have a backlog of stuff already started that I need to get finished. I do want to do Ten, Metalhawk and Thunderwing at some point, I know that much.

• Like Like x 1
  10. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Man, you've been busy lately. I enjoy your WIPs, it's fun to watch the creative process unfold.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ottertron

Lost my job last month so I've got the time to spend on these. Keeps me out of trouble.

12. pluto

pluto Well-Known Member

Another banger! I have p much this same project on my backlog tooooo! What ya thinking for the alt-mode headsculpt?

• Like Like x 1
  13. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Looks promising! Clever use of parts.

• Like Like x 2
  14. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Sucks about your job man, hope that situation improves for you. Nothing like the plastic crack to keep you out of trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WEEGEE

WEEGEE they warned me!

News Credits:
    You are now required by law to give me these custom's or you will go to jail for ten million years. No sexually for you!

• Like Like x 1
  16. bloosmarti

bloosmarti Well-Known Member

I can't believe my bashed up grimmy is turning into this! Fantastic! Didn't know his claws weren't there, if I happen to find them I will send them on if you like!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ottertron

Hey!! No need, I'm replacing his front claws anyway. I'll do him justice :D 

18. Ottertron

I think I'm just going to build the Grimlock head out in front slightly to give it more of a point and add plasticard crests.

For the 'bot mode there's a Deathsaurus head on Shapeways, but it's more like a 'classic' Deathsaurus. I've ordered that and I'll build it up a little with Green Stuff, add in the second pair of eyes and make the crests out of thin plasticard.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Strongly suggest you use a different image hosting system... I can't see the pics.

20. WEEGEE

WEEGEE they warned me!

News Credits:
    Trust me your grimmys never been in better hands.(sexually)

• Like Like x 3