IDW MTMTE and RID Annuals 2012 Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Gingerchris, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I really don't keep up with upcoming comcs news so no doubt there's a thread somewhere on this I can't find, but I just had my TF comics delivered and there was an advert at the back of them for a 48 page 'MTMTE Annual 2012'. What be that? Is it separate from the main run? I hope they're not going to start doing these additional big one-shot things alongside the regular releases I've then got to buy as well or miss something important that should by rights be included in the main ongoing titles. I really hoped all this separate issue nonsense like Spotlights and side mini-series had finished and keeping track of what I had to get to keep up with the story would be simple again.
    I suppose now I'll have to phone up my comic shop and ask them to hold onto copies of this thing as well. And an RID one too it seems.
    I remember the good old days when there was one Transformers title to keep track of and you didn't miss part of the story just because you didn't notice an advert at the back of an issue for an additional thing.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    It's sort of separate. It allows them to tell background or side stories they can't really fit into the main run. I don't know if you're a new reader, but annuals used to be a well known and long time tradition, particularly with Marvel and DC. Not only did they use it to give extra sized stories, it could also serve as a collection of short stories, background info, bios, and other extras etc. Of course, back then they used to feature the same creative team or ones of equal caliber, it was much later when companies couldn't maintain that, that annuals took a dive.

3. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am hoping that the annuals end up in the trades of MTMTE and RID.

4. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOVE that they're bringing Annuals back with Roberts and hopefully a few more writers. I expect there will be more prose stuff like Bullets, and Bullets was awesome.

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I'll grant you the spotlights and minis were a headache to keep track of, especially when it came to reading order. But this is just one extra book, duder. One. Singular.

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the fact that they're releasing an Annual.

HOWEVER

For those of us that jumped in late and are collecting the TPB's, rather than the monthlies, do we need to pick up the annual or forever miss out?
    I'm going to be at least 12months behind the story when the annuals drop, so what do I do, buy it and sit on it for a year? Or will it be in TPB volume 4 or 5?

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I've been in it since the beginning and I've got all the UK TF annuals so I know about putting an important piece of the main title story into a side-title one-off. I remember many people complaining when the UK comic did a 'Concluded in this year's annual!' because it meant they had to buy a separate thing to get the main story that was the point of buying the ongoing comic for.

As for not being able to fit these particular stories into the main run, I really don't agree with that if there's a decent storyplanner and editor at the helm. If the story is supposed to fit somewhere within the main title, especially if it's going to be some big in-story event, then it should be in the main title, and planned early enough that it isn't impossible to have it happen without needing to do some extra one-shot. Even then comics have been doing background and side-stories within the main titles for decades, so it's not some strange storytelling concept new to comics that readers have to try and get their heads around. When did it become so bad for background and side-stories to be included within the body of the main title?
    I don't want to be having to check with my comic shop to make sure they're saving me a copy of 'Random Separate TF Title 2012' for something that should've really just been an issue or two of the main title release.
    It's almost like a televison show deciding to take two important episodes out of the middle of a season and turn them into a separate movie that you have to make extra effort to be able to see to not miss out on stuff.

IDW can do as many running titles as they like, but I'm not a fan of splitting a title by making it become having to buy a separate book from the main, even if it is just a one-off.
    I just hope then when people buy it simply because they don't want to miss part of the main story IDW don't think 'Oh, this sold well so people must want one-shots again!' and start doing it regularly and we're soon back to Spotlight and minis chaos.

Ah well, I guess I'm pretty much on my own in not liking a return (even just potentially only a one-off - although isn't RID getting an Annual too?) to this kind of fractured release instead of a clean all-inclusive ongoing.

8. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Y'know, comics have had annuals for decades, right? This is not something you should be complaining about.

9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Yes, I'm entirely aware. I even said so in the post above which I assume you didn't read.
    Why not? Is there a list of acceptable things to complain about I should be sticking to instead?

I just preferred the simple process of just ongoings and see no decent reason (other than the likely 'to make more money' one) that there should be a separate extra split off from the main title, even if it's just a one-off. I may apparently be in the minority here on this but that doesn't mean I don't have a valid complaint if I want to make it.

I'll just have to order the extra books and put up with it and hope it doesn't start to happen too often again.

10. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You do know what the word "Annual" means right?

-ZacWilliam, "Once a year." That's how often you need to worry about them. Tops.

11. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

Speaking of annuals I think I remember reading the mtmte one got delayed or something is this right?

12. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I like annuals, spotlights, & mini series, provided they are well written and drawn adequately. Seeing as how they come out once a year I don't see it as something that's a terrible thing, you could probably get by with out it but if you like the comic why would you be unhappy this is a good thing more story and more pages to tell it in.

13. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I really hope not, since MTMTE #8 is referencing events in the annual.

14. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, mtmte 8 comes out in 2 days, and I don't remember seeing a specific date for the annual yet. I have a feeling the annual got 'delayed' a while ago, and it was originally supposed to be out in Aug (guess we could still get it next week though?) before issue 8?

But really OP, are you really complaining about 48 more pages of mtmte than you would normally get in a month? I wouldn't expect many people to find that to be a problem

15. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder the annual is included in TPB...

16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Annual WILL be collected in TPB.
    V2 - issues #4-8
    V3 - issues #9-11 and Ann #1

Don't get Gingerchris' reluctance over the introduction of Annuals. As you yourself point out, Annuals have been a part of the comic fabric for decades - both in the US and UK.

This is most welcome for me and I don't find it confusing at all; from all accounts this won't be as cash-in-tastic as Marvel UK and the conclusion of "Fire On High" back in '87. The story WILL tie in to the ongoing series, but won't be a literal finishing of a story begun elsewhere.