Minor/Repaint: IDW Megatron (Tank!)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Christopher-2, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Christopher-2

Christopher-2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to my 2nd custom.

Well, not 100% like the comics, but after reading Megatron Origin, and veiwing customs that represent the IDW comics versions of some G1 characters, it was time some one made an IDW themed commander, and who better to make the cut than the leader of the newly formed Decepticons!

From the moment I read the epic graphic novel, I knew I wanted a cybertronian G1 Megatron, but the Titanium Toy just wasn't up to my standards (Too Puny!) So I looked at my Armada Megatron and thought I could customize it somehow, but It wasn't until a dream I had that I realized that the best way to do this was merge it with My classics Megatron. And so, the final result was magnificent! you can definately see the character's roots (Both Cybertronian and G1) in this figure.

I hope you all are as pleased with this guy as I am, because it took quite a bit of thinking to make it look just the way it does. And yet, it really is a mod that anyone can do.

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Very, very nice work.

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Looks Great!! Megs always looks good as a tank!:thumbs2: 

4. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Not bad IDW Megatron. Very original and very badass.

5. Christopher-2

I thank you all who commented so far. In case you are wondering about the beat up head on Megs, I tried to remove some paint with nailpolish remover. By accident, I made him seem like he's been in battle. Looks good, but I'll never try that again.

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

ha ha megs got his head kicked in. looks great though man :thumb 

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    You've really made this figure look great! I've always liked this mold, but didn't care much for the Armada Meg's large "ears". You really cranked out a great custom, man.

Keep up the great work!

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that's excellent. IDw is my favorite continuity so far, and you definitely did a good job. I would just paint that neon piece on the left arm, but it's still really nice work

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if you could (or have done something) to give his legs more articulation this would be phenomonal, to see this guy dynamically posed would bring it to a whole new level.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty cool. I never liked the pincers on the head either. If you added knees that'd indeed be awesome. The only thing I don't like is that its a parts-former with the armcannon, but its not a big deal.

11. Christopher-2

Can't do too much about the parts-former part, but there is an in-continuity explanation. Megatron didn't have the fusion canon to begin with. It was an add on given to him by Starscream during the battle for Kaon. I wish I could find the right replacement legs to make him knee joints.

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I've been trying to brainstorm a way to "fix" this mold's legs for a long time as this is one of my favorite versions of Megatron. However, there's just not a lot to work with. The only thing I could come up with would be adding thigh swivels, putting the feet on the sides of the tank and turning his legs so the threads stick out of the sides instead of the back and the sides become the front. However, that would require removing the gimmick "traps" in his legs (a good thing imo and you'd get plenty of internal space to work with) and removing the details from the front of the legs to thin them out when they turn inward. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any "simple" tricks to articulate this guy.

Anyway, these mods are down right awesome. Enough to inspire me to track down a ko/cheap megs for the head and gun (and I can even salvage the arm for Shockblast). I always knew this was a great Megatron mold, and this custom proves that beyond any doubt.

And no other TF ever had a problem due to "parts-forming" on the weapons, so I don't think moving the cannon is all that big of a deal. It looks great in both modes, and the sword works surprisingly well with him.