IDW loses almost $2M, raising another $10

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by justiceg, Jun 26, 2017.

1. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

That has nothing to do with newstands, late 90s and early 2000s sales were low because of the speculator boom. They payed superstar artist and only hired bad writers that would have 0 control over their stories. Buy this #1 issue by Jim Lee! It will probably cost 10000$ in the future! People who didn't buy comics started to buy dozens of them, but were artificial sales. With those comics selling millions, people who didn't read comics realized they were being fooled, and stopped, and those who used to read comics stopped due to renumbering and the low-quality stories. The industry is still healing from the early 90s.

Too lazy to write a PM, I'll just write it here and hope the mods don't kill me.
    Blacksad, Makinavaja, El Juego Lúgubre, El Faro, Las Calles de Arena, El Regreso del Hombre Pez and 13 Rúe del Percebe (the last two are humoristic, the others are mostly slice of life).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I grew up in a small town. I could get comics at four different stores with newsstands. Some carried different books. And my $20 allowance stretched far when buying books for only a buck fifty or two bucks a pop.

There was no comic store or even a book store. Without newstand sales I simply would not have bought comics. I actually remember when shit stopped; I was waiting for the last couple issues of g2 and a couple other books in mid-arc. Generation x. They simply stopped coming. I later learned why.

Also I call bollocks on the comic industry doing sales better than. Or even close to the newstand days. X-Men and the top titles used to sell millions. The best selling books these days maybe do 100k. The comics industry isn't what it once was for better and worse.

3. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Try and find some interviews with Jim Shooter or go to his website for more info. He was editor in chief of Marvel from the late 70's until the late eighties. I'll share what I can remember. I'm at work and don't have time source it all.

Shooter said that revenue from newsstands had been falling but the direct market had been rising steadily every year. I think sometime around the early eighties the newsstand had become a break even proposition and the profit came from the direct market. The big thing about the direct market that made exec's so fond of it was that the issues weren't returnable. Newsstands also were souring on comics, why that was I don't remember. DC pulled the plug first, Shooter fought it at Marvel. The big two bailed before the newsstands kicked them out. Shooter I think was one of the last guys truly concerned with new readers. It seems he believed in the newsstand as a place to get the new reader. Shooter gets a bad rap from people in the industry, but from what I've read of his side of the story, I don't think it's fair.

The newsstand was also a slow death it wasn't abrupt. Hell today there is still like 1% of the industry that is still sold there. I just know sometime in the 80's the exodus started. I think most of us of the age that bought from the newsstand will have a different recollection of when they stopped seeing comics there.

Leaving the newsstand was also part of the reason the speculator bubble burst. You weren't getting new readers to fuel the value of what was being bought by the speculators. The hardcore fan wasn't going to buy because he already owned it. The bubble would of burst eventually but it wouldn't of been as bad if the casual fan was still there.

Revenues might be bigger today than yesterday, but that can be misleading. The readership is far below what it was 25 years ago. If the industry was so healthy we wouldn't see stories like this one about IDW. There wouldn't be stories about nervous retailers. DC wouldn't rebooting. Marvel wouldn't be churning out 90 books a month and event after event. Anyone else notice the amount of variant covers and special (expensive) editions. Sometimes it feels like the 90's again without the foil or chromium covers.

This isn't to say comics problems started or were limited to the 1980's. From what history I've read the industry has faced rather frequent financial problems.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Very interesting info on Shooter. I remember still grabbing G2 from the newsstand, and not long after the newsstand disappeared completely.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

One thing that should help IDW: They just picked up the Sonic the Hedgehog comic license.

That has been *such* a consistent moneymaker for Archie over decades, that it should help buoy the comic line.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I loved idw because they were different from marvel and DC. Now that they are aping them...

• Like Like x 3
  7. batfan007

batfan007 Grimstrong Shipper

News Credits:
    I was Talking about the north american comics market. Which sadly is the only thing most folks think of when they hear the word "comics".
    I'm a bigger fan or comics from every part of the world that I am of say cartoons, toys, Transformers etc.
    I wish more people read Japanese and European comics - and here I mean the classics rather than whatever is new, cool or popular.

Europe and Japan are an entirely different story (from north america) . I grew up reading Tintin and Asterix multiple times before I even saw or heard of any american comics (I had heard of tv shows like hulk, and movies like Superman, but never saw any comics until I started haunting a comic shop for a decade or so)

And I love the original Astro Boy comics, read all the dark horse reprints (20 volumes) and they are wonderful.
    I love that Japanese Manga is more mainstream, and their is every kind of genre catered to, and not like the small limited market in the US where superheroes dominate.
    america still has its own rich more international comics too, like the Carl Barks Duck Comics, which feel more like European franco-belgian books like Tintin to me - big rollicking adventures, great art and luscious colors.

But where are the toys?

It's been going on since forever. DC Comics for example owns loads of characters they never created that they absorbed from other defunct brands, companies and imprints. And that was the EARLY early day, since then they picked up loads of other stuff and incorporated it into their mainline DCU, or other spin offs. IDW are just aping that success on a smaller scale. It's not as personal and intimate as say the 60s Marvel U, where characters turned up in each others books as most of them were based in New York - it was a natural thing and not forced like the IDW combined verse feels (well to some, I've only read a little of the x-over books, mainly I just keep reading their TF books and don't care about the other ones)

-
    *I thought the thing was (correct me if remember this wrong) that hasbro wanted to try and create a comic universe where they could potentially spin these IDW versions off into new media such as new toys, cartoons, live action movies etc.

I'm sure I read something like that before any of this IDW Revolution business go started, it was those PR releases.

Did I remember this stuff wrong, or have they scrapped those plans?

Do they have the rights to make new toys of any of the REVOLUTION properties? I thought their would be something, and I dont mean some shitty con exclusive, but something we would get in retail chain stores.

nothing about "REVOLUTION" really says win in my book, but I don't hate it either.
    To me it's early days, and I'll be interested to see what else they do with it, and I'm glad they are trying something new. I want them to succeed.

It's not much different than DC and Marvel where you can read a main characters book, and just ignore the tie in stuff (mostly, sometimes they really fuck with the main monthlies, yet another reason I stopped reading them, and just buy trades of finished complete stories that interest me)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  8. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Despite what gets tossed around, Revolution and the Hasbro Universe was NOT a Hasbro edict. I've personally talked to Chris Ryall, David Hedgecock, and John Barber about this, and they all tell the same story: after getting the license to ROM and Micronauts, the idea was tossed around to bring G.I. Joe into ROM, which then led to the idea of a shared universe for their different Hasbro properties, after which they added Action Man and MASK. They went back to Hasbro, asked if they could do the Hasbro Universe, and Hasbro agreed, even offering suggestions on how certain franchises could tie together (like Micronus Prime being the creator of the Micronauts.)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Banks was huge in Europe, I think he helped influence a lot of eurocomics. IMO Europe has great kids/adventure comics (There was awhile when the US market was a barren wasteland of that sort of thing, though it's bounced back), some good historical and rl based ones, but I'm less impressed with their SF ones for adults. Maybe Valerian will help us get some more and I'll find something I like.

Manga's pretty huge, like you I'm a fan too. I wish we'd get some of the TF manga broad over- or at least, any good ones. Osamu Tezuka stuff is great and I see it in stores often- and speaking of older ones, there's also Leiji Matsumoto's Queen Emeraldas that got a recent release here in the US, and the Jojo series is coming out. It's not easy to sell older stuff but we do get a trickle of older titles and I think the retro crowd is growing!

• Like Like x 1