IDW loses almost $2M, raising another $10

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by justiceg, Jun 26, 2017.

1. misfire19d

misfire19d Esteemed member of the Order of Fries

Maybe D.C. should call up Hasbro to inquire about the soon-to-be available comics license.

2. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

I blame James Roberts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I doubt if a single comic book franchise sold "only" in thousands of copies made them losing millions. Nah. Things had to be bad all across the board.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    James Roberts is why IDW lost money in their TV production?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I pretty much do the opposite. James Roberts was the editor when the comics were at their best, two ongoings, and stitching back past events to have them make sense.

He's stepped back from line editor to just writer, and it hasn't been quite as solid since. Though IMO still pretty good, but point is Roberts did an excellent job running the line.

Granted, a lot of my experience is with Franco-Belgian comics, Italian ones, and most anything in Heavy Metal. So definite gaps in my knowledge there! (And if you've got any titles you'd like to recommend, shoot me a PM, I'd appreciate it)

Though it's not like the days when it was hard to find anything international, there's good-sized sections in multiple local comic stores.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I think you mean John Barber.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

... oh, yes, yes I do. Sorry, my memory circuits are in need of a tuneup ^^

Ok, as for Roberts... he's just one writer. Who had nothing to do with anything off of his book, no less.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

When will it be available?

9. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    In 9 years. That's when Hasbro's deal with IDW expires.

At which point, they'll probably just renew it.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I didn't realize this information was publicly available.

11. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Maybe if they knocked it off with the crossover event books and put Alex Milne back on Lost Light (and changed the name back to More Than Meets the Eye) they'd start making money again.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Start making millions on what... Comic books that were selling around 9k copies per month at their absolute highest?

And these days are around 6500 per month.

It's so niche that it hardly can make or break a multimedia company short of 1.8 million revenue and I doubt it's the main cause.

Best selling IDW series are around 20k and that's something their TF titles can not reach.

Though I am curious about what did not work for them.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  13. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    this right here. not every neighborhood/town/city has a nearby comic shop. but grocery stores and pharmacies with magazine racks are fucking everywhere. pulling comics off of those racks was a fucking stupid idea.

14. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    True, not everyone has a LCS, but you know what everyone does have access to? The internet. That's why digital is such an important thing.

• Like Like x 3
  15. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Yeah, but digital is light years away from physical. What if I want to get the Comlete Allspark Almanac on digital to read the extras? Well, I can import it from Amazon if it's still in stock... or nothing. The first Almanac and the Complete are not in comixology, and in the IDW app the Complete is not included. Waht if I want to read the Last Stand of the Wreckers extras? I can buy the TPB in digital and have only half of the extras or buy it in physical on Amazon if still in stock, knowing that due to the humidity in my city it'll be destroyed in a few years.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The beauty of the newsstand/magazine rack was that it served as an outlet for impulse purchase too. Some of those impulse buyers became readers. Digital just doesn't behave in the same manner. You have to download an app and then choose to get something in the app. In all reality it's a comic store online, albeit more accessible for all. It doesn't attract the casual audience at anywhere near the same rate as the newsstand did.

I am glad to see subscription services as a thing on digital. It's a current business model that appeals to the casual audience, like a netflix does. Before subscriptions I think digital more or less serviced the existing readership, it had no hook besides convenience. I don't know what it does for the bottom line, but I am interested in seeing where it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Eh, they mostly fell out of news racks decades ago, and have expanded considerably since then, comic sales today are by far bigger than 15 years ago. The growth has largely been unrelated to the growth in movies, the last year or two has not been good ones for print, but that's completely separate from being off the newsstand and comes after a long period of gradual growth. They *do* have an idea on how to attract readers, it's just a slower and more gradual process.

Also let's remember Bookstores, full of graphic novels nowadays, as a place people can pick up on the fly.

18. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Plus Marvel did partner with Archie on a new digest format that will be in grocery stores.

19. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are areas of comics doing well in terms of (reasonable) sustainability and quality of output, but it's still niche in the grand scheme of things. Corporate comics? I guess it's possible for them to do well and produce worthwhile work (Image does ok, I'd say) but doing both seems the exception not the rule.

This is rambling opinion rather than thought out argument but: I'd like to see better transformers comics than IDW is currently doing (though I do like lost light still). I think they have previously produced as good a set of tf comics as can be expected given that there aren't really the conditions for attracting talent to them, other than a creator being a fan themselves. And I do really like the general ideas, setup and premise of the IDW tf universe.

The events/crossover stuff... I'm sure it is possible to make that kind of thing work and be a satisfying read, but in general and in the specific case of the hasbro properties it seems like it would be pretty hard to do so. Nothing about the concept or storytelling potentials seems compelling and the potential for sprawling seems high. I dunno, who among us really knows the recipe for making making a financial and content success out of tf comics? Strong editorial, good storytellers, relevant audience marketing, a wider brand ecosystem (maybe); is that enough though, given the costs and probably limited potential audience of these things?

Ultimately, for me, IDW has already done what I always wanted and never thought I'd see - a creator driven, idiosyncratic 'arthouse' comic that wasn't interested in just a straight retelling/'adulting up' of previous fiction, but still drew on it:

Cdgx_gGW4AAsM58.jpg

It wasn't to everyone's tastes, but was exactly to mine. Sure, I'd love more good-to-great tf stuff, but I'm thankful (to IDW as well as Scioli) for what I have had too.

• Like Like x 3
  20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Can I get a source on this?

Also, while you may be right about 15 years ago, comics are nowhere near what they were 20 or 30 years ago. Ever seen SFDebris' Rise and Fall of the Comic Empire? You should, it's great, but more importantly it very clearly shows how comics have not managed to regain the ground they lost in the early 90's. Comics used to sell in the millions, now they sell in the hundreds of thousands on average.

Gradual growth maybe, but "growth" does not mean "good." It just means the situation's not as awful as it was before.

Also, how do you know it's not from being off newsstands? The last time comics were available there they did way better than they did today. Are you saying more readily available means of purchasing comics outside of specialty stores wouldn't boost sales?

But graphic novels are not impulse buys, they're fairly expensive. And book stores are hardly all that common, and aren't guaranteed to carry all graphic novels. Newstands however are everywhere.

Like, if I wanted to buy a comic book issue, you know where I'd have to go? Miles and miles from home to the city, to the one little comic book shop. And even then, I couldn't just pick up and buy a TF comic, as they stoppsed ordering them due to poor sales. I'd have to subscribe to it and have them order one. That's a lot of effort to get an overpriced book I might not even like. You know how often I see newsstands and magazine racks? Anywhere I go shopping.

• Like Like x 1