IDW Influence on Universe Prowl and other potential toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JOHNDILLINGA, Jun 17, 2008.

1. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    So I recently ordered the IDW trade paperbacks Infiltration and Escalation and I plan on getting the third one soon, But I noticed that Universe Prowl is almost a dead ringer for the one in the book.

It makes me wonder what other Universe Toys we could see from those designs, personally I'd Love to see the Pre-Viper Hot Rod as well as his Viper form, Blitzwing, a Voyager G-1 Optimus and possibly Jazz.

I'm Kinda glad we didn't get Ironhide's look from the books or a Ratchet repaint, But at the same time I'm not all that thrilled about the Universe molds for them ether..

So what would you like to see from the books as a potential figure?

2. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Idw = ? = =

3. JOHNDILLINGA

News Credits:
    The comics... You know like the Spotlight series well the 3 trade paper backs were the collected comic issues prior to the Spotlight comics.

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I think it'd be so cool to have IDW characters made into toys. We already have Prowl, and I think the F-22 Seeker mold can be either a repaint or slight retooling of the Energon Starscream mold, which is almost a dead ringer for the IDW Seekers.

But for a lot of the toys, like Prime, Megatron, Jazz, etc, it's essentially either a G1-like or an Alternator-like transformation, with different kibble. This either makes them easy to engineer, or not worth Hasbro's time to engineer.

5. JOHNDILLINGA

News Credits:
    Yea I was thinking the Energon SS mold could fit in well if the Energon port was tooled out and maybe a diffrent head with the damaged shoulder retooled.

Or if they wanted to go slightly simpler route. The Movie FAB SS with a new head, Arms and Legs wouldn't look bad ether.
    and it would be slightly more in scale vehicle wise then the Energon version.

Tank Megs could even use the tit Fallen's Tank Tread back kibble design.

6. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sixshot

7. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    We need Sixshot and Blitzwing for sure. Do you also have Stormbringers? The Jetfire in it is a dead ringer for Classics Jetfire.

8. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I think that what the classic line should be. either spot on plastic forms of EJ Su's designs (Prowl) or influence by them (Sunstreaker)

9. JOHNDILLINGA

News Credits:
    No I don't but since we got Jetfire im pretty happy with it maybe i'll scratch build a more G-1 like backpack at some point...

10. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    while i like the idw influence, i dislike the alternator influence in the universe figures. makes them feel less classics 2.0 than i was hoping. they're still cool, and ill buy em. but i dunno. something about Hasbro's need to have "realistic" vehicles on the shelves along with animated seems to have pushed a bit to far for my taste.

I mean i like alternators, i have 5 of em. but classics was near perfection, i feel a little let down by universe so far.

11. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    I feel the same way. I dunno, everytime i look at Sunstreaker, i'll just compare him to classics Rodimus and think they should've gone with somewhat similar proportions. They just feel different. So far, the only one i don't have qualms with is Prowl. The rest are huge misses for me. Still considering Galvatron.

12. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Classics jetfire was competely based on Don's design for the stormbringer comics. Which is why it looks so similar... it IS stormbringer jetfire. While not all classics/universe have the exact same design as the characters in the IDW universe, I have noticed that they seem to be at least doing a lot of the same major characters for the toy that have been showing up in the comics. They're even doing cyclonus now.

13. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:

I might be mistaken, but I believe that the design was first Classics Jetfire, and then just used for Stormbringer. Yes, the comic showed up on shelves before the toy, but the toy design I do believe was first. IF one cares...

14. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Well, either way Don was responsible for the design. He has designed several of hasbro's actual toys, like the Titanium Ultra Magnus for example.

15. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Teletraan I says the figure wasn't designed by Don. *shrug*

16. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I didn't dispute, I don't deny that.

17. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Runabout and Runamuck NEED to be made. Heck, I'd settle if they were Classics Bumblebee retools.

18. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't mind some of the IDW designs being used, but I'd really like a deluxe Hot Rod based on his Viper design (love the original Classics one, but he's so short...).

19. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I'd settle for as many IDW designs as figures.I'd love an IDW Spotlight Galvatron toy,man he was sick looking.